“Great Japanese” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great Japanese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I love Japanese food in the UK, but guess I had never really tried authentic Japanese cooking til I went to Kagemusha. I had a noodle soup which was lovely and light, with a huge amount of noodles - they do half portions so in hindsight maybe that would have been a good idea! My partners Katsu curry was also delicious.

It's a nice unpretentious place, ok service wasn't particularly smiley, but its quiet and chilled out. Worth finding.

• Indonesian first
Ubud, Indonesia
“Home-cooking at its best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I've been coming back to Kagemusha since my first dining experience there in 2007. I have taken countless friends and families there to enjoy some of the best, unpretentious, delicious home-cooking in town. The place never disappoints.

If you are particularly fussy about service, this isn't the place for you. I know all of the servers and they know me and I pretty much order the same dishes every time but they have never once made an effort to remember the little details/preferences about my orders, like asking for chili powder. It's often as if I'm ordering it for the first time. Not that I'm complaining. I'm not really here for the service.

It's always a good sign when there are actual Japanese people in a Japanese restaurant. This place is often frequented by the elusive Japanese expatriate community of Ubud.

The ambience is fantastic. Simple seating with a lovely rice field view. Great for a little romantic dinner or a casual gathering with friends.

I come both for lunch and dinner. The lunch set menu is fab. I have my favourites - the nasu miso is a must for aubergine lovers. I love the onigiri, the cold noodles (on the specials board), the bento box (when I'm starving), and the fruity arak. I've tried almost everything on the menu and I have to say I've never had a bad meal here. Please don't expect sushi and sashimi (go somewhere boring for that).

The owner, a lovely Japanese lady, always comes out of the kitchen (she's the chef) to say "thank you" as you walk out of the place. This, to me, is the highlight of my visit.

• Visited October 2013
Ubud, Indonesia
“Really Nice Place to Eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My wife and I just finished dinner at Kagemusha in Ubud. It is a little hard to find, but worth the hunt. It is located up a pathway running east from jalan Hanoman/Pengosecan. There is a sign high up on a poll marking the path. It is just south of the s curve where Taco Casa is located and just south of the entry to the Artini III hotel. Walk through the parking area and keep to your right, It is the little house through the unmarked gate.

The food is authentic Japanese home cooking. It is tasty, hot, attractive and appears amazingly quickly after you order. There is beer and saki, plus a small selection of stronger spirits. I suggest ordering different things and sharing. The portions are generous. Great place to bring people as a special treat, but the cost is reasonable, so come here often.

• Visited September 2013
Bali
“Great home cook Japanese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I often visit Kagemusha restaurant -that situated in a small alley in Ubud by the rice field- for dinner with husband, friends, and colleagues. Never failed to satisfy me! With a Japanese lady chef, its my great home cook Japanese food experience. Its a must!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Good Food & Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

First time we had little difficulties to find the place because the resto is in a small alley right at the bend near Taco Casa. Small resto but the place is very comfortable. Located right next to rice fields, so you can relax after finish your meal. The taste is pretty authentic and the service is good.

I tried some food but the most I like is the squid salad because it is so refreshing. And the best drink is Brem. Brem actually sold in Indonesia but it's usually in the form of food instead of drinks. The soba is soft and chewy.

• Visited April 2013