“驚くべき-----Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Vancouver, Canada
“驚くべき-----Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The setting is stunning, the bali/japaness fusion was so yummy. The service is great. We went twice for a late lunch and the place only had 2 other tables. The dihes range from 10,000-60,000 pr for appetizers and 35,000-80,000 for mains.

• Visited February 2013

• Indonesian first
“Fantastic find, beautiful view.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

On my second day of ubud my gf and I decided to have dinner at taco casa, a Mexican food joint nearby. We, however, noticed a Japanese restaurant sign board pointing down a rundown looking alleyway. Curious, we went to take a look, which brought about a pleasant surprise.

Kagemusha, located right beside a rice paddy field, is a hidden gem. The food though standard Japanese fare of teriyaki, tempura, rice dons, Japanese curry, soba/udon is made to perfection. On the first bite of the appetisers, a grilled eggplant and shoyu dish, we knew that Kagemusha was the Real Deal. This fact was further confirmed by a Japanese owner and Japanese regular clientele. The food whilst wonderful costed us only 150000rp. This included three drinks at a dirt cheap price of 150000rp each.(you must try their home made brem, a gluttinous rice wine, or even better, their brem arak cocktail.)

We sat at a table with the rice paddies in full view, which was really icing on the cake. With the sound of crickets chirping, the relaxing view of fields of green and wonderful food, Kagemusha gave us the perfect closure to our journey in ubud.

Note: nothing is exaggerated. It is That Good.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Japanese Hole-In-The-Wall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The place I was staying at is less than 3 mins away by foot, and I knew I had no excuse not to try Kagemusha. One night, I decided to take the plunge. The interior and menu reminded me of my favourite neighbourhood joint in Lomita, CA which homey -don dishes and appetizers. Nothing fancy or difficult to eat, just homespun options on offer.

I had the ginger pork with a side of rice and boiled spinach. It was ok. I saw others had ordered the wakame salad and karaage, and made a mental note for later. My dinner companion had the teriyaki, which was also passable. In all, good, if a little bland food.

Something rather weird occurred when my companion were paying our separate bills. The server miscalculated our change twice and was a little ill-tempered at being asked to recheck. He did, and apologised once he realised the mistake, so do check your change.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Lovely place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

At the back of the main street to Ubud, Kagemusha is hard to find... But the food, service and ambuance are all a the top. The menu is quiet long with mainly vegetarian or meat dishes but no sushis... I've tried their lunch combo which was delicious and very fresh!

• Visited December 2012
Fitzroy, Australia
“Do not leave Ubud without trying this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We chose this restaurant purely because all the Japanese reviewers gave it such a high score. It cant be that good can it?.....it was. Tucked away from the main road, the tranquil surrounds only add to what was my tastiest Ubud dining experience so far. The Daikon salad was a sensation. The Wakeme salad, tempura and ton katsu were just delicious. Beautifully presented with the freshest if ingredients, a must for Japanese cuisine.
The staff were very professional, with a calm, almost cool approach. The owner's connection to the environmental impact of the tsunami is evident with the anti-nuclear badges and the sourcing of ingredients.
Just give this place a go... not only a top dining experience but value for money too!

• Visited November 2012