“Great Japanese food in Ubud” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #51 of 438 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Open 11:30-24:00 (LO 23:00)
Singapore, Singapore
“Great Japanese food in Ubud”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We had lunch at Minami - it is located a few steps from the famous Naughty Nuri restaurant. We were shown a table that faces an internal garden - peaceful and quiet. We were given the alacarte menu, but asked for the set lunch menu instead. The set lunch cost Rp300K each, but was well worth it. Lunch started with a small cup of plum liquor, followed by a 6-course dish - starters, soup, 2 appetisers, main and dessert. Each was lovingly presented. Pace was casual, unhurried and friendly. Not exaclty cheap - but you get what you pay for.

Overall, great experience. Will surely come back again when I visit Ubud.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Canberra, Australia
“Truly great Japanese food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

We made our way back to Minami for the second time in two years. We actually had the restaurant to ourselves for the first hour or so. The menu is easy to understand, and includes 3 potential fixed menus. We decided to order a la carte. The sizzling prawns & the agadashi tofu were a great start. We then had a beef hot pot washed down by a couple of lovely cocktails and then two small bottles of saki. Great feed and you weren't over-full at the end of the meal. The staff were attentive and friendly throughout. Might just slip back there for an extra dinner before going home!!

Visited May 2014
Singapore
“Hands down the best Japanese food I've had in Ubud”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I have been to Ubud many times and never thought I'd get legitimate Japanese food here! I just came back from a delicious dinner at Minami this evening where I "splurged" and picked the set dinner menu called the "Special". At risk of giving too much away, here's the full menu and what I thought of each one

1. Assorted sashimi: Salmon and Tuna. Nothing AMAZING but still fresh!
2. Miso Soup or Tai Nyumen (I picked the latter, which was a beautiful clear soup with noodles and grilled snapper)
3. A bento box of beautifully presented small dishes like fish rolled with herb salt and organic vegetables with sesame sauce (SO SO GOOD!)
4. "Today's sushi" (I got tuna and shrimp, which was pretty good)
5. Bento box 2: Grilled snapper, shrimp tempura, chicken teriyaki, potato salad on the side (another big winner for me! The giant shrimp head they served was just so crunchy and delicious and the chicken was really succulent)
6. Beef Tataki: served with a delicious ponzu dipping sauce garnished with spring onions and chilli powder. The beef was still warm and just so darn delicious I ate it so fast!
7. Homemade chocolate mousse (so silky smooth!) and Green tea rolled cake.

All for IDR300,000++

If you're looking for somewhere with a gorgeous, classy environment and good food, go to Minami! Special kudos to the staff who were super attentive and kept the food coming as I finished each course.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney
“Service great and food really good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Very nice meal here in what looks like an old colonial style building. There is a nice garden out the back but for some reason they were not allowing guests to sit out there. Nevertheless the food was delicious and quite inventive. Steamed snapper was the highlight dish for me, my partner liked the carpaccio of tuna. I lament the lack of decent wine in Bali. The Chilean or Californian stuff just doesn't do it for me. I prefer the local Hatton Aga White, but this wasn't available.

Visited April 2014
Sydney, Australia
“surprising-japanese resturant in Ubud.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We went to this resturant one night,on recommdation from a local,and we were not disappointed.The service was top notch.We ordered two different types of set menu courses to try,the food in general is modern japanese,each course was small but there were many.My boyfriend was hungry going into the resturant,but we were both full by the end.The service was good and attentive.

• Visited April 2014