My husband, seven year old son and I stayed at The Purist for a week at the end of May 2013 in the Timor villa. It was quite simply a heavenly experience!
From the moment we were met at the airport, we felt looked after and special - a rare thing in this day and age. Icy cold water bottles were waiting for us in the very comfortable, large car that took us on the interesting drive up to the hills of Ubud. Our lunch order was phoned ahead so the delicious food was ready just after we settled in to our villa but first I want to tell you about our arrival. We were greeted with such friendliness, it was a wonderful welcome. We were escorted to our magnificent villa, shown around and before we knew it lovely, refreshing drinks arrived for us. Our son was delighted to be put in charge of feeding the pet fish in our little pond and kept them very well fed throughout the entire stay! When the staff noticed his interest in the fish during our stay, they ask him if he would help them feed other fish to and he was thrilled to be ask to help with this important task.
The property was just exquisite - enormous tropical plants and magnificently maintained gardens as well as traditional architecture with unique contemporary comforts and hip design aesthetic.
The food was delicious too! The breakfast was a delight every morning and we had lunch and dinner at the villa every day of our stay as well. It was sensational and such a treat to have such amazing food delivered to our villa and set at our outdoor table, it was marvellous.
The incredibly high standard of cleanliness was amazing - the staff were regularly asking when would be convenient for them to come in to tidy, replace the towels, make the bed - just make everything lovely again - it was so great!
It was however the beautiful nature of the staff, their genuine care and interest that made this such an extraordinary experience. Everyone was kind, friendly and helpful. For example, a couple of times our son ran ahead of us towards the main pool. Each time a passing staff member would gently call out hello to him and asked if he was out on his own, they wanted to make sure my husband or I was with him. Even if they hadn't even met him and were busy gardening or working on another villa, they cared about a little boy who might be get himself into trouble by running down to the pool on his own. All the staff are very family-oriented and love kids, they made our son feel very welcome and he loved every moment of the holiday.
He had his first ever massage at the spa and loved it! I had one too and it was truly excellent. The spa staff and facilities are fantastic.
I just read a previous review complaining about the construction next door so I wanted to add that we didn't find it upsetting at all. We were of the view that we were spending a week in a village, in a place where tourism is the major income stream and with that naturally comes construction from time to time. We just relaxed, thought about how incredibly fortunate we were to be in such an amazing place and enjoyed all that was happening around us.
We were there just to relax too - not to sightsee and still it didn't bother us. As well, my husband and son literally spent the entire week in our villa - I had to coax them to come into Ubud for just one hour, so it's not like they were out all day and so weren't at home to notice it. I only ventured out twice - both for only an hour or so into Ubud as I couldn't wait to get back to our gorgeous villa to relax in our home away from home. We all also swam every day which was lovely, only once did we see other guests down at the pool. It was amazing to have this enormous pool all to ourselves!
To be driven into Ubud is only R5,000 so about A$5, incredibly good value and so easy. I just booked a time when I wanted to be collected before I went - again it was so easy. It only takes about five minutes to drive into town from The Purist and I preferred the drive to walking.
The location just out of town is a huge advantage - when we were walking in Ubud it felt so busy and cramped compared to where we were staying. You really feel the vastness of the space at The Purist, we never actually saw the boundaries of the property, it was just lushness all around us.
The Purist is definitely the place we'll be returning to within the year - it was such an escape from our hectic, big city lives and we felt completely rejuvenated, pampered and refreshed after our weeklong stay. We slept, we relaxed, we ate, we drank, we laughed, we talked, we swam, we played and we made very special memories.
Hope you can go there soon, you'll love it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- THE PURIST VILLAS AND SPA is a hip designer’s hideaway nestled in the green fertile hills of Ubud, Bali. It wants to be a meeting point for individuals, for those who need to unwind in an inspiring setting and being pampered with great massages and delicious food. Our chefs use the freshest of ingredients, locally produced and in season, whether your meal is served in your villa or in the restaurant. In its rural and tropical setting you can fully appreciate the tranquil peacefulness the Balinese are famous for. The beautiful surrounding rice paddy fields make the short walk to the centre of Ubud a scenic walk. Being the cultural and spiritual heart of Bali, it is obvious why Ubud is a haven for writers and artists from around the world. The secluded Purist compound includes a spa building used for the specialist Ayurvedic massages as well as a yoga and meditation deck. We offer a variety of treatments, given by the best massage therapists, yoga and meditation teachers. The construction and design of The Purist reflects the ancient Balinese Hindu belief embracing the importance of balance, purity of spirit and harmony, as well as a deep respect for the natural environment. We use an eclectic palette of materials, including recycled wood, authentic Indonesian artifacts, natural lava and lime stone and green river stones. With The Purist, Yvonne and Alberto succeeded in creating yet another home away from home, which has become their trademark signature. The Purist offers only seven private villas, making it the smallest boutique hotel in Bali. In this way, we can meet any of your personal and specific needs. The Purist: sophisticated hospitality stripped to the essence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Purist Villas and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Purist Villas Hotel Ubud
- The Purist Villas And Spa Ubud, Bali