“A heavenly experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Purist Villas and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Purist Villas and Spa to your Saves list
The Purist Villas and Spa
4.5 of 5 Spa   |   Jalan Tirta Tawar | Banjar Kutuh Kaja, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia   |
Special Offer
THE PURIST CAMPAIGN RATE
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Ubud
“A heavenly experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband, seven year old son and I stayed at The Purist for a week at the end of May 2013 in the Timor villa. It was quite simply a heavenly experience!

From the moment we were met at the airport, we felt looked after and special - a rare thing in this day and age. Icy cold water bottles were waiting for us in the very comfortable, large car that took us on the interesting drive up to the hills of Ubud. Our lunch order was phoned ahead so the delicious food was ready just after we settled in to our villa but first I want to tell you about our arrival. We were greeted with such friendliness, it was a wonderful welcome. We were escorted to our magnificent villa, shown around and before we knew it lovely, refreshing drinks arrived for us. Our son was delighted to be put in charge of feeding the pet fish in our little pond and kept them very well fed throughout the entire stay! When the staff noticed his interest in the fish during our stay, they ask him if he would help them feed other fish to and he was thrilled to be ask to help with this important task.

The property was just exquisite - enormous tropical plants and magnificently maintained gardens as well as traditional architecture with unique contemporary comforts and hip design aesthetic.

The food was delicious too! The breakfast was a delight every morning and we had lunch and dinner at the villa every day of our stay as well. It was sensational and such a treat to have such amazing food delivered to our villa and set at our outdoor table, it was marvellous.

The incredibly high standard of cleanliness was amazing - the staff were regularly asking when would be convenient for them to come in to tidy, replace the towels, make the bed - just make everything lovely again - it was so great!

It was however the beautiful nature of the staff, their genuine care and interest that made this such an extraordinary experience. Everyone was kind, friendly and helpful. For example, a couple of times our son ran ahead of us towards the main pool. Each time a passing staff member would gently call out hello to him and asked if he was out on his own, they wanted to make sure my husband or I was with him. Even if they hadn't even met him and were busy gardening or working on another villa, they cared about a little boy who might be get himself into trouble by running down to the pool on his own. All the staff are very family-oriented and love kids, they made our son feel very welcome and he loved every moment of the holiday.

He had his first ever massage at the spa and loved it! I had one too and it was truly excellent. The spa staff and facilities are fantastic.

I just read a previous review complaining about the construction next door so I wanted to add that we didn't find it upsetting at all. We were of the view that we were spending a week in a village, in a place where tourism is the major income stream and with that naturally comes construction from time to time. We just relaxed, thought about how incredibly fortunate we were to be in such an amazing place and enjoyed all that was happening around us.

We were there just to relax too - not to sightsee and still it didn't bother us. As well, my husband and son literally spent the entire week in our villa - I had to coax them to come into Ubud for just one hour, so it's not like they were out all day and so weren't at home to notice it. I only ventured out twice - both for only an hour or so into Ubud as I couldn't wait to get back to our gorgeous villa to relax in our home away from home. We all also swam every day which was lovely, only once did we see other guests down at the pool. It was amazing to have this enormous pool all to ourselves!

To be driven into Ubud is only R5,000 so about A$5, incredibly good value and so easy. I just booked a time when I wanted to be collected before I went - again it was so easy. It only takes about five minutes to drive into town from The Purist and I preferred the drive to walking.

The location just out of town is a huge advantage - when we were walking in Ubud it felt so busy and cramped compared to where we were staying. You really feel the vastness of the space at The Purist, we never actually saw the boundaries of the property, it was just lushness all around us.

The Purist is definitely the place we'll be returning to within the year - it was such an escape from our hectic, big city lives and we felt completely rejuvenated, pampered and refreshed after our weeklong stay. We slept, we relaxed, we ate, we drank, we laughed, we talked, we swam, we played and we made very special memories.

Hope you can go there soon, you'll love it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from an amazing 5 days at the Purist. We booked the garden residences with us in the Timor villa and our friends in the garden villa. We had three little kids between us with a 5 month old, 1 year old and 3 year old and it couldn't have been a better holiday. The staff were incredible with every request done in lightning speed and they went above and beyond our expectations. It was completely private and you really felt like the whole resort was your own and the staff seamed to appear out of no were when something was asked for.

The kids were treated like royalty and the 3 year old loved the huge koi around that she was allowed to feed. They bought us a high chair to our villa and were happy for us to keep it there for the whole 5 days which was great. The 1 and 3 year old had a great time in the huge stone bath and open bathroom. The only negative of travelling there with such small kids was the amount of steps and drop offs near ponds and gardens etc- it just meant we had to watch them a bit more than usual while they were out in the gardens. And the beautiful old floorboards in the Timor squeaked so loudly if we tried to tiptoe past sleeping children.

It was definitely a bit further out of town than we would have liked, I'm used to being able to walk out for a meal or visit a shop. Drivers were extremely easy to organise though which was great and it cost roughly $5 each way. They offer a complimentary shuttle but we only managed to use it once due to timing not being when we wanted to head out.

The food was INCREDIBLE! We were so excited for breakfast to arrive each day, it was an amazing selection and we all tried basically everything off the menu. Someone would quietly arrive about 15 minutes before the nominated time to set up the table on our deck restaurant style. They were more than happy to bring anything extra we asked for throughout breakfast aswell. We ate multiple lunches and dinners there aswell either setting up by our private pool, on our front deck, or by the main pool. Food had to be ordered in advance which was a but frustrating if the kids were hungry but we understood this was due to them cooking everything fresh.

Big thanks to Wayan one of the drivers we had on several occasions, he was an extremely friendly and knowledgable man and really made our stay extra special.

• Stayed May 2013
Kamen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I spent 10 days in this resort from May 02 through May 12. We stayed in the Hill Villa which is the largest villa with two bedrooms, a private pool (approx. 7m by 3m) a half-open bathroom, terrace and a Balinese cabana to relax by the pool.

The design of the villa, its interior and the decoration are absolutely stunning. We also had a chance to take a look at some other villas in the resort and all of them are unique and have different highlights.

The service is absolutely perfect and the complete Purist Team to me represents the friendliest and most helpful staff that I have ever experienced. Once again, thank you very much for this excellent experience!

My wife and I spent most of the time in our villa relaxing by the pool, enjoying the great breakfast and a-la-carte dinner or dinner menu (both dinner options have to be ordered a little bit in advance, because everything is prepared with fresh ingredients). Food prices are very reasonable as well as prices for spa treatments which we enjoyed several times.

Everything else has already been said before in previous posts by fellow travelers and I can absolutely second all these comments, so all in all, the perfect experience.

However, there is a little bit of trouble in the Purist paradise right now resulting in the fact that I cannot give the ultimate five-star rating: The resort is currently in the process of being extended by another 7 villas right beside the current premises. This results in constant construction noise 7 days a week from 9 a.m. through 7 p.m.! Fair enough that the property is being enlarged and it is absolutely clear that there must be some construction noise, but listening to an electric jack-hammer or some sort of percussion drill for most of the time at the resort is simply getting on your nerves at some point in time. We mentioned this to the Manager and he did his utmost to limit the noise, however, with only limited success. Construction will continue for at least another 6 months and it might pretty well be that my wife and I had our stay at an unfavorable stage where jack-hammer works were necessary. Nevertheless, I would expect that at least this fact is mentioned on their web page so that you know about it. I have to say, however, that the reaction of the staff to our mild complaint was very professional and the spa treatment offered as some kind of compensation was very nice.

Bottom line: The resort and service are impeccable and the staff is the friendliest ever. I am sure that once the extension is finished, the calm and quietness of this beautiful location will return and we would really like to come back to the Purist after that.

Room Tip: All villas are great and unique, but not all have private pools. I would always opt for a private po...
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have just returned from an incredibly relaxing week at the Purist in Ubud. If you are looking for a quiet home-away-from-home with excellent service in very pretty surroundings, this is the place to choose. We stayed at the Garden villa which is bright and nicely decorated and which has the largest private pool. The bed in the villa is excellent, the shower sexy, the sunbeds outside are large and the dining area next to the pool is superb.
The service provided by the Purist is very friendly and not intrusive, which means that they respect your privacy when you do not require their services. Breakfast, lunch and dinner can be served in the comforts of the villa, or in the central lounge area. We chose to stay at our villa for most of the time, as all services are just a phone call away. As it should, all staff are very helpful and interested in your well-being.
We also had the opportunity to use the spa facilities. The spa is located in a separate villa and offers different kinds of treatments. We were very pleased with the level of professionalism in the treatments, but be sure to double-check your bookings, as we experienced some (minor) problems here.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Amazing hotel in Ubud. The villas are amazing. We stayed in the river view villa and had a private cabana where they served breakfast just by the pool. The villas are all unique and decorated with so much taste. Food is excellent
Staff is amazing and always available. Special thanks to Oktri.
A little expensive for Ubud but it is definitely worth it especially for a couple.
Note: the hotel is not in the very center of Ubud, need to take a car (5 minutes)

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I contemplated several properties for our 4 days in Ubud and read Tripadvisor for hours. There was something about the Purist's reviews that convinced me it was the one and I am so glad I went with my gut! I cannot believe this is not the #1 rated hotel, but with only 7 villas perhaps I should be glad it's not - because maybe I wouldn't have been able to secure a reservation!

This is a true superior and gorgeous hotel with top notch customer service. We could not want for anything and the villa we stayed in was absolutely stunning.

We stayed in River 1 which is one of the villas without a private pool but it's about 10 steps from the central pool so it feels like it's yours -- and we only ever had max 4 other people with us at the pool but usually less than that. The villa has a fantastic HUGE outdoor living room in addition to the bedroom w/ AC. The bathroom is half in/half out and the covered but outdoor shower was a dream to use.

The property isn't big, but every villa is tucked away and feels private. There is a lovely common space where you can dine but you can also dine poolside or at your very own dining table in your villa.

The staff really rounds out why this place is 5 stars. I can't commend them enough. Anything you want/need and they will be there to work it out. But beyond that, they were all just so lovely and gracious and it was a pleasure to get to know them.

It's true that this place is about a 7 minute drive out of Ubud, so a taxi (or bike) is required to get to restaurants/sites. They do offer 3 free shuttles, but a taxi is only $5 US if you want to go at alternate times. I don't think it's a negative at all to not be within walking distance to Ubud. The taxis were always easy to get.

The Purist is the only choice in Ubud! You will not regret it.

Beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We booked a little villa with my family. The hotel is located in Ubud but you feel like being in the middle of the jungle. Design, decoration, comfort, food, bar, pool, spa, service... everything is really nice. This is a 20 mn walk to Ubud center but they have a driver and they also have complimentary bikes that we used to ride in the middle of rice plantations very close to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Purist Villas and Spa? Share your experiences!