“Wonderful, magical , perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Purist Villas and Spa

You added The Purist Villas and Spa to your Saves list
The Purist Villas and Spa
4.5 of 5 Spa   |   Jalan Tirta Tawar | Banjar Kutuh Kaja, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
SAVE UP TO 30%
Ranked #11 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
Santa Barnara
“Wonderful, magical , perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I went to Ubud by myself to restore, rejuvenate and experience the Balinese culture. I stayed in the jungle room and I felt completely relaxed and pampered throughout my stay. The fresh juice and meals are heathy and delicious. The staff was wonderful!!! I became very attached to the sweet Baby Koi fish that resided in my bathroom. The butlers where great, I'm not used to being waited on hand and foot. I found the surroundings bueatiful, peaceful and magical. They provide the guests with bycycles and I rode the the rice terraces , and I also walked into town. The Purist is a great location and place of peace and serenity. I want to mention my driver Wyman who was wonderful and taught me how to speak a little Balinese. I wish more Americans would take the time to speak a couple of words in a different language when they travel. Good morning and thank you can really make a difference in interacting with different cultures. My most memorable experience was learning about Bali and making friends with the bueatiful people. Thank you Purist and Wyman, I will be back!! Sukes somo!

Room Tip: The jungle room was great..
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Lake Worth, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was at the Purist for my honeymoon a couple of weeks back. Most of the reviews are spot on and I was very close to giving the Purist a perfect score, if it were not for a couple of items that kept me from doing so.

First the Pros:
-The service is unbelievable, best I have ever experienced on holiday. Our butler and the night manager deserve special note here as they were excellent. Always there with a smile to help you out.
-The villas are beautiful, unique, spacious and decorated very nicely.
-If you are looking for seclusion this place has it. We barely saw other guests. It is not really walkable to town if that is what you are looking for, but its a quick drive away.

Unfortunately the Cons:
-We reserved one of the River Villas and were brought to the Timor Villa without mention from the manager. I didnt realize this until the next day, and honestly I was fine with the Timor villa instead. However, they should have mentioned why I wasn't getting what I reserved or at least asked me.
-There is construction next door. Apparently they are adding new villas (I believe 7 more), which I hope doesn't take away the charm of the place. When we arrived, we could hear the noise from the construction and see workers from our outdoor area. The day manager told us to just contact him if we want them to stop working, which we did everytime we were at the villa during the day. For the money and the expected secluded quietness, we weren't expecting to deal with construction next to our villa. It wasn't horrible noise but a little annoying. However, once we called the manager, they would stop shortly after.
-The power goes out sometimes in the afternoon, but typically restarts in a short amount of time. There was only one time where it was off for more than a few minutes (not sure how long as we were in the process of heading into town). I wasn't going to note this as it really didnt affect us. However, we read in their book that they have a generator and power will automatically restart within 15 seconds of going out. We were later told that there is no generator on the property as it would cause to much noise for the surrounding village. That is fine if that is the case, but they shouldn't mis-advertise in their book when it is not true.

The Pros heavily outweigh the Cons we dealt with. I do highly recommend the Villas.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This small property (only 7 villas) is on a beautiful property, with an infinity pool overlooking a ravine with palms and tall stands of bamboo. The room was extremely comfortable. One evening we were walking back towards the hotel (not realizing we were really too far away to walk, when a driver from the hotel saw us, recognized us, and stopped to pick us up! That was service above and beyond. The included breakfasts were elegantly served and with plenty of choices. We ordered two other meals, and they were reasonably priced, and the food was excellent.
One note--the sign for the Purist is extremely difficult to find--small, white on white, and not on the main street, but on the driveway leading to the hotel. You should ask for other nearby landmarks or signs when you book the room.

Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Our first visit was on November 2010 for 5 days and we were amazed! Superb design in every little detail. We stayed in the Garden villa (the one with the pool), and had the time of our lives there.
Two years later we returned for just 2 days, and stayed at the river villas. Our friends were blown out because they could not believe that what we described as the best Bali experience was true!
The staff (and by that we mean all the staff, every one of them) is elegant and gentle. They tended every single thing we asked them for. Unfortunately we had so little time, but if we are to return to Bali again, we will definitely stay for 4-5 days. Absolutely recommended

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Melaka, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

It was my boyfriend 21st Birthday and I decided to stay in The Purist to surprise him. I'm really glad that I've made this decision, The Purist was really amazing in every sense. Our hired driver did spent some times to find the villa, but everything was great from the moment we arrived. It was quite impressive that each of the staffs could called us by our name and greeted us with warm & lovely smile all the time. Jungle villa was totally incredible and the pictures don't do the justice. They welcomed us with flower petals on the bed and a nicely decorated rose bath. We felt like royalty throughout our stay in The Purist. On the second night, we have the In Villa Romantic Candlelight Dinner. Antara was a great looking butler who provided us with five star hotel service standards, Gede or Oktri if you are reading this, he really deserves a salary raise! Though we did encountered some problems during our stay, but the staffs were really helpful and always be there for us even in the middle of the night. We were upgraded to the Hill Villa on the last night and the management also offered us a complimentary Reflexology treatment as a birthday gift for my boyfriend. The spa treatment in The Purist is a must to do lists in Bali, their therapists were really amazing. I just can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Jungle villa provide more privacy as it is in a more secluded part of the hotel.
Fitzroy, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

After a rough drive from Amed to Ubud we were delighted to arrive at The Purist. From the very start we knew this place would be a special experience and it did not fail to deliver. We stayed at the hill villa, perched above the river villas. The house just oozed style and comfort and was so tastefully appointed. It was hard to leave the villa each day for the 5 minute drive to central Ubud as we spent so much time just lazing around in the pool enjoying the jungle surrounds. Consider using the bicycles as its a pleasant ride through the local streets to the centre. Had a great massage that was included in our rates after we extended our stay. The staff at all levels were professional and courteous, even offering to stop the construction work for the extension so that the noise would not disturb us, it was minor and did not bother us at all. Our stay at The Purist was one of the highlights of our Bali honeymoon, oh and we rate rate the nightly turn down service as the best in the business!

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We spent 5 amazing nights at The Purist for our honeymoon and we didn't ever want to leave. We stayed in the Jungle Villa and it was incredible. The staff were the nicest and most helpful we have ever encountered, nothing is too much trouble for them. They serve breakfast in your villa every morning which adds to the secluded & intimate feel. It is about a 20min walk from the centre of Ubud however they offer a free shuttle bus and are only too happy to pick up throughout the day & night.
I would highly recommend The Purist if you are staying in Ubud and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The Jungle Villa, it is very secluded and away from the other villas.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Purist Villas and Spa? Share your experiences!