“Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sunny Blow Villa Jepun

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ubud
Sunny Blow Villa Jepun
You added Sunny Blow Villa Jepun to your Saves list
Jl. Raya Sanggingan, Kedewatan, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #95 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
Sydney
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

After dining at Minami a couple of years ago and reading other reviews I was really looking forward to my stay at the Sunny Blow Cottages. Unfortunately it was a big disappointment. The driver I thought had been arranged to pick me up at the airport was a 'no show' and when I arrived (in a taxi around midnight) the staff on duty had no knowledge of my booking. A room was found, but by then the place had lost its charm. I also found out that they are no longer offering a Japanese breakfast as advertised on their website. The next morning I moved elsewhere.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

This was a nice little place to stay for one night however I probably wouldn't want to stay much longer. Maybe it was the room I stayed in but the matress was pretty uncomfortable and I know this isn't the hotels fault but because of humidity and no Aircon I felt like the sheets etc were a bit damp. The bathroom was OK, however the toilet broke down during the evening. The staff are really friendly and attentive. The breakfast was pretty average. I think if you stayed in one of the bigger rooms it would be a different experience. Mine seemed like the more basic option. The Japanese restaurant next door is Incredible!!

• Stayed January 2013
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed here for six nights and really enjoyed it. After some nice backpacking through Indonesia this hotel offered exactly what we wanted: a beautiful and peaceful place to relax.
We found Ubud to be very crowded and touristy, but luckily Sunny Blow made up for all of that, and it was a great way to end our Indonesian holiday!

Room Tip: We had the room in the back with the Balcony. It offers a bit more privacy and between the lush gard...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Sunny Blow villas is a beautiful place to stay. I really enjoyed the fact that we had chosen to stay in Sanggingan as I think the area was more to my taste than traffic heavy Ubud centre. It had a bit more of an arty feel to it, there were lots of first class restaurants including the Michelin star Mosaik (a little above my budget so I can't recommend), the Neka Museum is directly opposite and two of the walks we wanted to do started midway between the hotel and town so all in all an ideal spot.

A few people have said they found it difficult to find however it is pretty much opposite the museum, on the main road opposite their sister Japanese restaurant. Look for a carved stone on the side of the road and go through the double wood doors to reception.

The room was lovely and well looked after, the breakfasts were amazing (we stayed for three nights so got to try Japanese, Indonesian and western) and the staff very friendly. For 375,000 Rp I thought it was good value. The only small downside was that the pool wasn't really for swimming in. It was in the shadow of the beautiful trees so had lots of leaves floating in it and remained cold whatever time of day. The only other downside was that we were the only people staying which I thought was both an immense shame as it's so lovely but also made it a little lacking in liveliness.

Just some recommends for local food too - we had some of the best meals we've had in Bali. Lovely pizzas at Fiore Citta, wonderful Indonesian at warung Pulau Kelapo and a great lunch with amazing views at Indus.

• Stayed October 2012
Rosanna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My son and I spent five nights at the Sunny Blow. The lush environment and comfortable room (not at all luxurious but adequate) were only matched by the kind, generous and helpful staff. It was hard to leave!
There are a range of restaurants in the sme street with some that were obviously popular - Naughty Nori's was reasonably priced yet you he the full range including Casa Luna and Bridges. Opposite the hotel is the Neka Art Museum with a wide range of contemporary Balinese art. To easethebody, there are a multitude of spas up a nd down the road including Bali Botanical whichI highly recommend.
I loved ubud.. A fusion of east and west with the Balinese firmly are of mind to maintain their culture and identity while the immigrants seeking analterntivelifestyle seem tobe bringing the beat of the west. No MacDonalds!,,,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Fort Dauphin, Madagascar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I booked this property sight unseen purely based on Trip Advisor reviews.

It was difficult to book, showing up as full or unavailable on the usual booking websites, but a friend who lives nearby went in for me and booked it in person and they had plenty of rooms, and they kindly accepted the booking without deposit.

I visited the Japanese restaurant adjacent to the hotel for lunch a week or so prior to my stay, and went to have a look at the rooms, and I thought it was charming. I think the word "villa" is a bit misleading though, really I'd say "bungalow". I offered to confirm my booking by paying, but they said "no you can pay when you leave". Very kind. A week later, after a quick trip to Thailand, I returned to Bali and went straight from the airport to Ubud and Sunny Blow Villa... Unfortunately I had a bit of a dodgy tummy (I must say, the bad tummy came from Thailand and nothing to do with this hotel), and I just wasn't feeling great. The staff are just lovely, so kind and sweet, and they made me feel very welcome. The room was lovely and spacious (I had a larger "deluxe" room) and comfortable, with beautiful antique furniture, a comfy bed, a lovely day bed on the verandah, and I would normally have loved it I think, had I not been feeling rough. I just found the bathroom to be a bit grotty, and when you are not feeling well, well, when I am not feeling well, I want a really clean and comfy bathroom. The bathroom is typical for Bali, half outdoors & half covered, open to the elements, so decoration is quickly ruined. This one needed a really good clean, or probably really it needed repainting & redecorating. Plaster and paint are very badly mouldy and flaking, plugs are rusty, the bathtub grout really needed a good clean (or re-doing) and the towels were really really old, thin and threadbare. Some curtains on the toilet window would be really nice too. At present, if someone is sitting on the toilet, they can be seen from the room, and in fact from the front terrace if the front doors are open. There is sort of a half curtain, but it is totally ineffective. I was staying with someone (still a quite new relationship), and being sick, I found the whole experience a little traumatic. The other thing that I found really uncomfortable was the proximity of neighbours. It is totally impossible to have a private conversation on the front terrace of the bungalow. Neighbours are only metres away, and although the staff come around in the evening to drop down some matchstick blinds in between the verandahs, you can still see your neighbours feet and hear every word of their conversations. Romance would be impossible. And finally, the pool. Sorry guys and this will probably get the cleaner into trouble (although the owners surely must notice anyway, you don't have to look that hard) but the pool is constantly dirty, with green slippery mould on the surfaces under the water (steps into pool, etc). I noticed it when I went to visit first and I thought to myself that it was probably just a delay in maintenance that would be remedied, but no, it was the same when I returned.

Now, for the price, this room was lovely, the place is sweet, the staff are kind, and had I been feeling better I probably would have kicked back and enjoyed it, but, I would never have enjoyed the lack of privacy, and I would never have got into that pool, no matter how I was feeling.

All food from the adjoining Japanese restaurant was beautiful. I had room service for most of my stay, and ventured into the restaurant on my last night, all lovely, and always good service. I had booked this hotel for three nights, but I left early after two nights, and moved into a more upmarket hotel which better suited my mood.

The location too was a little far away for me to really enjoy, a lesson I have learned about myself from this trip, I think if I only have a few days somewhere I am better off closer to the town centre.

Part of this review process is to give a mark out of five for service, etc. Normally, if small hotels have no fitness centre or spa I give them the highest score, but in this case, I have given the lowest rating for the fitness centre and spa, not because they are bad (they don't actually exist), but based on the dirty pool.

If I was really on a budget, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I chose deluxe, I never did know my room number during my stay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed here for 8 nights at the beginning of a five-week holiday on Bali and Java, and I liked it so much that I returned for another week at the end of my trip. What Sunny Blow offers: a beautiful, lush garden with a very inviting pool; very comfortable and clean rooms; very pleasant, hardworking, and helpful staff; and a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere in a charming old Balinese-style setting. For the first few days, the location, across from the Neka Art Museum in Sanggingan, seemed a little inconvenient, as it is roughly a 25 minute walk to the center of Ubud. However, after spending a few days on the streets of central Ubud, I was grateful to be staying away from the crowds and traffic. I enjoyed the walk into town (and it felt shorter and shorter each time!) and when I didn't feel like walking, or was coming back to the hotel with bags after shopping, it could not have been easier to hop in a taxi (30,000 IDR) or on an ojek (motorcycle taxi, 10,000-15,000 IDR) for a ride back to the hotel. As for the surrounding area, there are more than a few very good restaurants close by, from the outstanding Minami next door to the cheap and tasty Warung Pulau Kelapa down the street. There is a supermarket just down the street and a convenience store and ATM just a few minutes away. I was very happy at Sunny Blow and was so sorry to leave!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sunny Blow Villa Jepun? Share your experiences!