“Bali Bad!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #149 of 427 Restaurants in Ubud
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Healthy, Indonesian, Vegan
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Eerwah Vale, Australia
“Bali Bad!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Our group of 12 visited here at the recommendation of one member. We waited and waited. Drink orders were confused and even getting more water seemed beyond the staff. Then our meals finally arrived. While those who ordered pizzas and other dishes stated their meals were OK, those of us who chose the Fish or Mexican were disgusted. Cold re-fried beans and soggy lettuce were not enjoyed although half eaten due to extreme hunger and the long wait. Five of us were expecting a piece of fish but we received crumbed fish cakes which ressembled grey dog turds and were revolting. One of the group was physically sick after eating just one. We complained but were told that is how customers wanted their fish served. Even the person who had recommended the venue tried one and stated they were not very nice. The Management refused to accept our complaints, refund the cost for those of us who could not eat the meal and so we all left, very disappointed in the food and attitude. Oh and beware - there is only one toilet.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dear Eileen,

I am shocked by your review of our daily fresh and wholesome food, even having been forewarned by Bali Buda staff, as well as the group's local guide, who was deeply apologetic about this group stating they arrived intoxicated and was very uncomfortable with the scene created. We do not serve liquor which supposedly was the original complaint. I do believe you may have meant to stop by the Laughing Buddha Bar, which is a few parallel streets over. I apologize for the similarity in names.
I also apologize for the seemingly grey dog turds, I don't know how these could have been served to anyone, but am already on the case.
By the way, we have two bathrooms right next to each other, both functioning and clean.

Best wishes for a buddha-ful stay in Bali.

Management
Always only a phone call away

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Seattle, Washington
“not accommodating, service barely ok, very expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We ate at the Kerobokan and Ubud locations many times. My husband liked the vegetarian options. We stopped eating at the restaurant after multiple bad experiences. The food is expensive, even for a tourist prices (50-100% more than other tourist restaurants in Ubud), so if the service and food isn't great then my husband and I were not going to support the place.

For example: I ordered the Swiss Connection, which is a breakfast combo that comes with espresso. I don't drink coffee for dietary/health reasons, so I ask for tea instead. At the Kerobokan location, this was done no problem with a smile. When I made the same request in Ubud, the waiter quickly said he didn't think so, but he would go ask the manager. After about 2 seconds he came back and said no. Rudely too. Ok, whatever. The menu advertises that they cater to all people, but if I can't substitute coffee for the cheapest tea they have, then that's not really true, is it? I let it go, and if this had been the only thing, I would have forgotten about it.

Another example: My husband ordered a vegetarian burger, and they were out of buns. The only option was some sort of gluten free bread substitute. My husband is not into gluten free stuff, but very reluctantly agreed to take the only option available. They charged us 15,000 Rp more for it! It's about $1.30 USD, but for an already overpriced burger, another charge is just getting ridiculous. You can eat a meal for $2 USD (at other restaurants), so it's a significant charge. But it's not the money, it's a bad policy to charge customers for a product that is just left over, not requested.

So, screw it. We like the grocery store. They have great pastries, cookies, and organic bathroom products. But skip the restaurant. It's a rip off and they aren't even nice about it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
H0nest69, Owner at Bali Buda, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Sarah,

That does not sound like a Bali Buda experience and we are very sorry for that. We typically try very hard to accommodate special requests and will find out what happened in this case. Had you written your complaints to us in person we would have tried to compensate or rectify the situation for sure. We respond very quickly to any email received.
Concerning the prices, we follow Indonesian laws and pay our staff well and also report obligatory taxation, which is still a rarity amongst most companies here.
We have organic free-range chicken and eggs across the board on all items as well as most of our produce and are doing more than our share of CSR in supporting what we believe to be good causes.
We hope you give us another chance someday, your patronage is truly appreciated.
Love,
Caloundra, Australia
“You are never disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Year after year this lovely place never disappoints and value for money, freshness of the food and relaxing atmosphere it's my favourite place to dine. It's really hard to pick a favourite in Bali and there are others that come close but time after time it has never changed, never disappointed and an absolute Ubud must. Don't overlook the fantastic little deli sort of under this restaurant as things in there are great especially the home made granola and the variety of yummy breads. So if your are 'self catering on your holiday, treat yourself to a Bali Buddha meal and then shop at the Deli. Oh dear, I need to come back to Bali again and soon!

Visited November 2012
H0nest69, Owner at Bali Buda, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thanks for the great review -- we are always happy to have you!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Healthy and great tasting food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I had the chicken salad, which was delicious - and enormous! All my friends enjoyed their various meals, including one who had the gnocchi (spinach I think). The health drinks were a bit hit & miss - I had the cacao one & it was pretty nice though not as cold as it should have been since it was a really hot day. The service was OK but they were really busy. Coffee was really great.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Judy,

Thank you for your pleasant and fair review. We hope to serve you again.

Have a Buda-ful Day!

Always only an email or phone call away
Netherlands
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Had some spring Rolls here, which weren't very special. Staff was almost absent. Overall nothing special.

Visited October 2013
Dear C87,

Thank you for the insight.

Always only an email or phone call away