“Wonderful experience... Must do!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Lodge   |   Jalan Elephant Park Taro, Ubud, Bali 80561, Indonesia   |
Ranked #37 of 278 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful experience... Must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We did a day trip to the park and had the BEST time there. During the course of the day, I fell in love with these beautiful, gentle creatures. The park is clean and the elephants look very well kept. We arrived just before the crowd (our package included return transfer) and there was barely a queue to go on the elephant ride. Nicky, our gorgeous elephant, was absolutely charming. Her trainer was also friendly and seemed to genuinely love his job.

The best part was spending time with the appropriately-named Ganteng ('handsome' in Indonesian), a cheeky 3 year old boy. I wished he fit in my pocket so I could bring him home! Ganteng's trainer is knowledgeable and lovely. To me, they looked like a pair of mates! I hope to be able to return one day to see how Ganteng is faring. I was told that he will be starting to do the shows from January 2013.

The show was also a lot of fun. We had the mother elephants entertaining us. They're really clever and have fantastic personalities! We were front row and walked away half drenched as the cheeky things sprayed us at the end of the show.

The buffet lunch was tasty, clean and fast. It was included in our package, but you have to pay separately for your drinks. The shop is vast and stock interesting goods. I do wish they had merchandise for younger kids. I wish I could've bought my little niece (just over 1 year old) a t-shirt. The transport (although our driver was freelanced so we didn't get one of their BAT-owned vans) was safe, clean and on time.

I had a high expectation and it was most definitely exceeded. I couldn't believe how close we got to the elephants! So pleased to see the great conservation work and the elephants seemed to be happy and healthy. A definite must do in Bali!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

As advised by many on TripAdvisor, I opted to stay one night at the lodge rather than do the day trip! As expensive as it was, I'm glad we did it. My son rated it as one of his favorite things of an action-packed holiday.

The highlight was the elephant swim which only lodge guests can do. It was in a nasty pond with five (we counted) chunks of poop floating around. But the thrill of riding an elephant bareback, you'll never forget! The other activities for guests is the elephant chauffeur which my daughter loved being picked up and taken to the restaurant by.

The day safari was fine. The "jungle" had lots of variety of plantations for guests to see. The mahouts are great. The show was okay. The kids bought t-shirts so the elephants can paint while they wore them. Another highlight. Feeding was fun. When the new babies are born in the spring, they should attract lots of attention. So cute! We liked the gift shop too.

The food at the lodge was very mediocre. Only memorable thing about breakfast was they offered cappuccino. Small selection and though the view was nice, it came with the occasion whiff of elephant turd. Dinner was overpriced and bland. My duck was way dry and my son's steak way overpriced. I'd recommend ordering pasta or low priced items to fill up and go into Ubud for great food at low prices. The spa was so overpriced we didn't bother. Hotel transport too is much higher than the going rate.

So yes, I'm happy we did the lodge activities but once is enough for a lifetime.

Coolum Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Well organised day, we booked with Bali Adventures before we left home so we could get the discount. The company rant the night before at our Bali hotel to confirm pick up time. The driver arrived well in time and took us directly to the park. The elepant ride was a great experience, they even took photos with your own camera for you while you were finishing the ride. The lunch which was also included was wonderful, lots of choices. The elephant show was entertaining. Our driver was there for our return trip. An enjoyable day, it was wonderful being about to get so close to the animals.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

It certainly unique experience. I travelled with my 18 months son and my husband. We booked garden view room. Definitly must booked garden view room because you can get pickup by the elephant directly from your room.
And we can ride elephant, shower them, and give them food. It is a great exeperience.
But the place is far from everywhere, the food is not really good and expensive. The room is small , eventhough is clean but i find it not very comfortable especially the bathroom.
I want to come back again with my son when he is older to the park but i dont think i will stay in the hotel again.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Kalbarri, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This Park is such a wonderful place, a real credit to Nigel and his lovely wife. It is a great experience to interact with elephants so close. The elephants and the staff all seem very happy. We had a twin garden room, it was very clean and comfortable. The elephant taxi picked us up to take us to the night elephant show which is next to the restaurant. Lunch and dinner was really yummy. Breakfast was served in the Mammoth Bar which was also very nice. An elephant picks you up in the morning to go on the garden trek, we stayed two nights so we did this both mornings.I really enjoyed my stay here, we were busy the whole time. I had a massage, scrub and jacuzzi in the spa place, it was fabulous and while in the jacuzzi you watch the elephants through a one way window. Well worth the expense.

Room Tip: We stayed in a garden room and was great but you can't see the elephants from here. We didn'...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed at the Elephant Safari for four nights and absoluely looked it. The atmophere is amazing and waking up the the noise of elephants (well onlt five out of 30 are noisy) was great. We were called everyday for an elephant ride and evry night at 6:30 for the "elephant taxi" to dinner. You can wash the elephants daily and do night safaris. The two restaurants were great - beautiful breakfast overlooking the elephants and a magical dinner on the other side watching the elephants. They had three cheeky baby elephants all seem to think the food is somehow hiiden in your skirt. The elphants are front an centre - and somehow you feel this and people are well important but somhow inconspicuous. Do this at least once - easy to get the Ubud from here - 2 or 3 nights is ideal - 4 is probably for the dedicated. Make sure you ask for Casey - this elephant has glass and on safari will do its own thing...so its a snack off to the side - you go with her. Great character and the handlers - well you can just see the love the have for the elephants.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room - probably upgrade to one with a deck overlooking the elephants next time.
Noosa, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed at the Elephant Safari Lodge for one night in a Garden View Room. Lovely clean room with comfy beds and luxurious bathroom, although no bath.
Elephants came to collect us from the room to take us to dinner one night and for another ride through the rainforest the following morning. This is a fantastic experience. Also included in the room rate was a swim with the elephants and some time washing the elephants. Wow, words can't describe what a once in a lifetime experience this was.
The elephants make this place a must stay. However, one night is enough, as the park is surprisingly small and it's very easy to see and do everything and have lots of time to spare.
I have to be honest and say that if it wasn't for the elphants, the lodge would be very average. The restaurant was very disappointing (pre-paid for a buffet and instead got a set menu with only 2 choices that weren't great), especially for the price paid, and the breakfast buffet was also just average. The pool was small and cold with a very limited area for sun-lounges. So really, after spending time with the amazing elephants, there is no reason to stay any longer.
Be prepared to feel ripped-off if you need the Lodge to organise transport to your next locaion for you. Although it only cost about US$25 for the roughly 2hr drive from Kuta to the Lodge using a local driver, the Lodge wanted US$30 for the 20min trip to Ubud. Best to pre-organise this yourself. Although the Lodge is in rural Bali, most of their charges are as high as Australian prices. I don't mind paying the high room rate to help support the elephants, but don't like to feel exploited.

Room Tip: Rooms really don't have any outdoor space, so unless you want to sit inside and look out the win...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Elephant Safari Park & Lodge? Share your experiences!