“Stunning” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
Hausen bei Wurzburg, Germany
“Stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I can honestly say that michi retreat has been the best hotel me and my girlfriend have ever been to. Michi retreat seems like paradise. And Professor dk is such an interesting person and great host. I urge everyone to go there. It was beautiful

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Langkawi, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This magical retreat is a wonderful place to escape from everything. The pool is set in a stunning art deco inspired patio and each room reflects a different creative style. The restaurant serves up cuisine as delicious as it is eclectic inspired by an owner who has made the world his home. Wonderful place, a pleasure to stay here, would recommend it whole heartedly to any free spirit or creative.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Michi. I got a great massage and facial when I first arrived, and the massage room is open-air and looks out over the rice terraces. Such a beautiful view. The masseuse even set out a bowl of water with some floating flowers under the table where my face looked down to the ground. It was so lovely when I'd open my eyes during the massage and see it. And the price was around 200,000 rupiah -- totally affordable for such a great massage and facial. The place is very eclectic, which suits my taste. I found the property to be an adult-sized maze that I thoroughly enjoyed exploring. I spent some time down by the river, which was gorgeous. I also had one of the staff members show me how to get to the beautiful rice terraces that sit just across the river from the retreat (spectacular views, no matter where you are!). The trek to get to the terraces was an adventure in itself. I highly recommend it for some morning exercise. Beautiful. "The Professor," who owns the property, stopped by my room the evening I arrived and invited me to his home to sit and chat and have some cake and ice cream. I went over later that night, and he was a lovely host -- such an adorable man and very intelligent!. I really appreciated the hospitality. Oh, and the room. I didn't actually get the room I had requested, but they put me in the Mekong Suite, and I loved it. I felt like I was in a museum where I could actually touch and admire each piece up close. I spent a lot of time just walking around the room and admiring the art.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

you can expect an eclectic setting and environment that is peaceful, comforting and enlivening. Each room is different with a theme, they have great massage, Yoga, local cultural shows from time to time and homely delicious food. Interesting clientele as well, as this intelligently planned level of retreat attracts artists, intellectuals, and those interested in holistic well being. If you are looking for a getaway to recharge this is it! If you are intolerant and expecting a c

Room Tip: ask to advise on what style of room you prefer as they are incredibly varied. I have tried Japanese...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

We are a family travelling with friends and Michi had been recommended to us as nice but a bit trippy. If you are tired of the usual resort formula and are looking of something a bit different then give Michi a try. We stayed in the Nostalgia suit and our friends stayed in the Feng Sui room. There were many rounds of OMG when we arrived, have never seen a resort quite like it. It's a bit gaudi and a bit George pompadou gallery, visually you are spoilt as there is the art of the resort then the river then the terraced rice paddies. It's quite an amazing place and obviously a lot of thought and hard work went into its construction. That said it needs some work, just a bit of a freshen up, maybe some bedside tables. But otherwise it's one of those places you will never forget!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

i stayed here for 2 times , located near The Was River with Infinite rice terrace field .
The rooms has many characters Retro , Thai Style , Charming Chinese , Turkish , Zen Style but everything a bit old and same like no one take care this wonderful place :(

anyway here's the best rice terrace view in Bali and just 5 min from monkey forest

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Ubud, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

One day I heard someone saying: "Don't fall in love with something too fast. You won't know something well before you learn about it and are in it." I think that applied to my 'relationship' with Michi. It was love at first sight, I fell in love with the place in the first minute I stepped on it.

In April 2012, I got a news from a friend of friend who was involved in this retreat's improvement – that since it's kinda run down, they decided to open the retreat as sort-of 'apartment' for people with the intention of long-term stay. The small artist studio's monthly price was reasonably cheap – IDR 1,500,000, in where we the dwellers must clean the room / space by ourselves and of course no hotel / laundry / food-beverage service for that price, which I totally agreed. (Personally I think her aim and efforts were constructive for the quiet retreat. But she was no longer involved shortly afterward.)

In May 2012, I started 'nesting' here, in the small artist studio named Vienna 1900. It's located right in the middle between the other two. It has a wide balcony, right above the bank of River Wos, rice terraces are just 60 meters across. Stunning. The cool air, good weather and lovely sounds of water and birds made my sleep quality was very good, as much as it contributed to my writing, yoga and meditation sessions. Planned to stay here for a year or two, I regarded the owner and staffs as my own family, respectfully. Don't mean to count but I'd done several simple yet meaningful things included having (and surely paying) dinners (that actually quite pricey for such flavors) and contributing plants and flowers for the retreat's public area – not just my own room / balcony.

Entered my second month of stay, Michi's staff W told me that they need to charge me 10% tax. I asked why they did not charge that to me at the beginning, she said, "Oh yes sorry we 'forgot' to do that." Right. Okay, I thought. Here's my rent fee plus 10%. Entered my third month, she again said, "Sorry the owner asked you to pay 10% tax and 5% service charge." I started feeling odd, sighed and said, "Okay but please don't keep changing the rent fee every month. I'm here to stay for a long term and it should've been informed from the beginning of our 'agreement'." She answered, “Of course we won’t change again.”

Then things went well until almost the end of July 2012, the same staff came to my room, started a light conversation for about 10 minutes which brought me to an idea, "Oh no, something's gonna happen again here..." What a gut feeling. And there, she said, "I don’t feel good to say this, but the director (this time she didn't say 'the owner') decided that we must increase the price. You need to pay IDR 2,500,000 per month start in August. Otherwise, you need to find another place to stay." Bang. In a short notice (one week period), they gave me 'instruction' without providing alternative solutions. (Well, W said she's going to help me finding a new place but we gotta see someone actually walks the talks, right?)

Thru her, I asked to have a meeting with the owner as I've had some conversations with him, never with the director. She kept saying that she needed to look for the 'right time' and added a line that, "The professor is not in the good mood, I'm afraid he would get angry with me." After three times asking and received only a NO-sign, I decided to move out.

The climax was a 10-minute awkward moment on my moving-out day. W walked beside me while I was carrying my stuffs to the car, and right in front of the semi-suites alley, the owner was walking in after his morning walk and with a surprised look he asked, "What are you doing, young lady? Are you moving out?"
Me: "Yes, I am."
Him: "Why?"
Me: "Because you kept raising the rent fee and this time I can't pay as it's so inconsistent from what we agreed. This time it's almost double of my original rent fee."
Him: "How come?" (Silent. Looked at W at glance. Then looked at me again.) "If you confirmed moving out, please do not hesitate to do that. But if you want to stay, you can stay here with your original price. Okay?”
Me: "Great. But I've managed to move out. Thank you, Professor." (I waved a goodbye at him.)
W: (Looked at me a bit fearfully) "You can stay..."
Me: "No, thank you. 90% of my stuffs are already in the car, I'm not staying."
(As I was walking, the director asked me as if nothing serious happened, “So where are you going to move?” I didn’t say a word to her, only waved.)

For me it's not centered in the money, it's about the ethic, the commitment, the consistency. Did the staffs cheat and lie? Did the owner acknowledge this? Or was the owner just simply senile? I was totally confused. Also, they might've let me stay at same price, yet who can guarantee they wouldn't change their mind, or say that they 'forgot', on the next day?

As I put on the title, this retreat is wonderful. It may be a good choice for short-term stay, say one week or two. Just not fit for a long-term nesting plan, at least for me. However, if they keep running such management and playing game of consistency, they will experience more turbulence ahead......

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Michi Retreat? Share your experiences!