“Exceptional quality and world class presentation” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 440 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Asian, European, French, Indonesian, International, Fusion
Description: CasCades is an awards winning restaurant located 5 minutes drive from the centre of Ubud, perfected placed on the ridge overlooking the luscious Valley of the Kings. It provides a dining experience with striking tropical valley views alongside meticulously crafted food and wine menus. As a fine dining restaurant with European and Asian influences, CasCades produces bold and unique dishes that are perfect for a celebratory or romantic dinner.
Toronto, Canada
“Exceptional quality and world class presentation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We took some time to meet chef Nic Vanderbeeken and were so impressed. Our first meal was a breakfast that was simply extraordinary. Three courses of pancake, fruits, eggs - beautiful coffee and fresh juices presented with so much care it seemed difficult to start eating rather than just staring at it!

The dinner was incredible. It is an international menu which means that it includes Balinese dishes but also has the complexity of international cuisine. Personally I prefer simplicity - that is just a reflection of my preferences. We travelled to a number of the top restaurants and concluded that Cascades was by far the best food.

The restaurant is not that busy - and so in a perfect world, I would take away some of the tables so that it has a more intimate feel and fewer empty tables. It is not that it is not busy, it is just that I suspect it is rarely at capacity (it has a lot of tables!) and it detracts from the capacity of the space to create a truly personal environment. And the music needs a tweak. These are issues separate from the food and I am splitting hairs.

If you had a chance, go for lunch or early evening so that you can enjoy the view. Like so many places in Bali, once it is dark there is a lot left to see and at Cascades there is a lot to see and a lot of exceptional food to eat.

Visited January 2014

• Indonesian first
Denpasar, Indonesia
“Dinner in Cascade”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We went there for a dinner. Beautiful setting, nice, friendly and helpful staffs. The manager accommodated our preferences very well, as one of our friend had some allergic to certain spices. I had a lobster chowder, then salmon steak, also sort of passion fruit dessert. they were taste great and beautifully presented. I shall go there next time for lunch to see the view (which I heard is awesome)

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

My daughter and I had lunch on Christmas Day at CasCades, the restaurant at the Viceroy just outside Ubud. We took advantage of their offer of being picked up and returned to our hotel for 50,000 Rp each way, which made the 10 minute trip easy. The restaurant is in the most beautiful setting perched on top of a valley overlooking jungle, with the sound of the river below. I was hoping to see monkeys but had to be satisfied with lots of little swallows, dragonflies and butterflies. There were only 2 or 3 other tables of people, so we had excellent service. I started with a Bellini, made with raspberries as they were out of peaches, and it was delicious. They had turkey available but we both had very good pasta dishes and shared a green salad with a fabulous dressing. I chose a nice Chilean chardonnay from the extensive wine list and for dessert I had a Grand Marnier soufflé and my daughter had a lemon brulee, both absolutely melted in the mouth. The sun stayed out all day for the first time in 5 days and we thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. A great place for a special meal.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Dinner Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Went for dinner @ CasCades:

Beautiful setting, very airy and pleasant on a generally hot evening on Bali

Staff is very friendly and attentive

Entrees:
Lobster Bisque and Tuna Duo
Both very good

Mains:
Strip Loin Steak
Red Snapper
Both average and relatively small portions

Dessert:
Chocolate Variation
Passion Fruit Sorbet
Both very good

Wine:
Shearwater Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, NZ, 2011
Excellent

In summary:
Much worse in respect to quality of food and value for price than Bridges, where we dined the night before.
In fact we paid almost double the price, although we did not have dessert at Bridges, as the entree and main there are actually sufficient to leave you deeply satisfied.

However this is a nice place all in all, but if you are looking for a fine dining experience, Bridges is definitely superior

NB: as we could not get hold of a taxi for our return, they took us back to our villa in their hotel car, so I applaud the dedication of the concierge staff !

Hong Kong
“Best meals at CasCades”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The meals we had at CasCades were the best!!! We had Indonesian food there and it was very good. The breakfast each morning was so good that we looked forward to getting up each morning.

Visited September 2013