“Secret garden pool & Incredible View --Sooo Romantic!” 5 of 5 stars

Bambu Indah
Banjar Baung | Sayan, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #37 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
new york
“Secret garden pool & Incredible View --Sooo Romantic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

This place is the ultimate hidden jem. Luxury hotel yes, but also a take-you-back-in-time paradise garden. The suites are antique javanese bungalows on stilts above the gardens, overlooking this sprawling river valley with sunset views. We had a feast of a dinner in the black bamboo pavillion and the food is like nothing I ate at any restaurant-- there is real Balinese festival food, much of it grown organically all around you in the gardens. Also excellent pasta and arugula salads. We stayed in 'Java house' which has a motion-sensor light to guide your way to the bathroom at night! Loved the african textiles in the bathroom, and had a lemongrass and ginger scented bubble bath in the pounded-brass bathtub. All around was the sound of trickling water, and a few steps from our porch I did laps in the fern-lined forest pool.

I know the Balinese are notoriously warm and gracious, but I wasn't expecting this degree of welcome. To be able to go out and explore intense Bali, and come home to this secret garden world, was the perfect balance.

• Liked — the ambiance, how beautiful everything was from the buildings to the views
  • Disliked — that I couldn't stay there forever
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

The first thing that I noticed at Bambu Indah when I walked through the entrance, was the silence. Finally! If you've been to bali, you know that it is hard to hide from the constant reverberating noises that surround you. As I walked further, I noticed the breath taking view. Beyond the river, set deep below, are green rice feilds sprawling out in front of you! They can even be viewed while sitting in the (chlorine-free) swimming pool, set into it's environment so discretely, I feel like I'm in a natural spring.
The villas are traditional javanese style, heavy wood, with intricate carving on the walls, delicately letting sun seep in. You truly feel like you are back to nature here. The outdoor bathrooms allow you to feel the breeze, and look over the lush compound whilst showering too! On my second day I booked myself in for a massage. The massage was done in a seperate house on the land. As the incense relaxed my mind, the massage eased my muscles!
Another perk to this hideaway is the food. And I am a serious food lover! The local dishes made on the premises, are hearty, organic, tasty spreads. No need to travel out to try the island's best.
After my stay here, I felt completely rejuvenated. If you're after the "old" bali experience, go no further than Bambu Indah. I'm already planning my next stay ;)

• Liked — the tranquility.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

I never write up about my travel experiences, but I just returned from Bambuh Inda and I have to say that this was the best overall experience that I've had on vacation.

From the first moment I landed, they treated us like family. Always warm, approachable and attentive. It is a photographer's dream; a valley of rice fields under the sunset. Original Balinese gourmet was served in our bungalows. There are no loud bars or clubs. Not a scene to meet singles, but wonderful for a romantic couple or a young family. Simply unforgettable.

Stayed July 2008
Solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

wonderful setting, in the middle of agricultural land overlooking a valley. Very much worth it for the view alone. The food was excellent. The facilities look rustic but are top of the line. the ecological feel of the place was a very special touch. I would recommend anyone I know to stay there. the only downside is it is a bit difficult to find and I understand that it will be easier in the future when more signs are posted.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — trying to find it
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Yogyakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

Though I saw a lot of places, all over the world, I would never
have thought, to come accross a place, where I actually wanted
to stay forever.
In Bambu Indah you find peace of hart, away from the hussle of
everyday live.
In Europ they say: first see Naples and than die.
Now I say: before you die: visit Bambu Indah in Ubud.
You won`t regret it!
William Jacobus Heijstek.

• Liked — location and the beautifull wooden and bamboo buildings
  • Disliked — everything ok
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Tarifa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

Thoughout a lifetime of extensive travel around the world, I have come upon many wonders and have been fortunate enough to have many privaleged experiences in unique and exclusive environments, but it was not until I arrived at John and Cynthia Hardy's visionary dream, that I was literally bought to tears as I was overcome with awe and gratitude.

Never have I seen or thought possible, such a magical co-creation between man and nature - design with such intelligence, grace, wisdom and class.

Each of the four 'homes' sit gracefully upon the rice paddy below and are decorated with a touch of genius and art from various countries around the world - obviously treasures collected by the Hardy's on their travels. One is greeted and treated by a wonderfully attentative stafff who make one feel part of the 'family' yet they clearly respect one's privacy.

If your fancy is to wake and wade in the natural pool outside your 'home', or start your day with a round of yoga or mediation in the large open pavillion, or to simply hang out and soak up the surrounding glory, you can do so whilst a delicious breakfast is brought to your room at your convenience.

I was so enthrawled with the architechture and requested a private tour of the jewelery factory which John Hardy has now sold, but is an extension of and example of stunning design using nature and the highest quality creative vision to design not only the jewelery, but also the premises.

The new Green School which has been the brainchild of the Hardy's is yet another example of how 'green' can be an organic extension of the beauty in nature as well as embacing state of the art modern design requirements. It is my dream too, to send my children to this school.
Everything the Hardy's have created has been done with exquisite attention to detail, total respect for the environment, and a keen knowledge of all aspects necessary in creating an experience that stands out in integrity, class and beauty. They are creating a legacy to be proud of.

I would highly reccomend Bambu Indah to anyone who is looking for an exclusive 5 star experience that leaves one feeling inspired, refreshed, creative and privalged.

• Liked — It's unique quality and design
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

I stayed at Bambu Indah one week ago and had the most glorious experience. This gem of a place, perched on the edge of a river valley and hidden among age-old greenery, is an untouched, perfect piece of paradise.

On arrival mid-evening after a one-hour jaunt from the crowds of Bali’s southern coastal tourist areas I was immediately impressed by the absolute tranquility of the place. The gracious customer service manager Sri charted our moonlit course across the generous mud-walled property, through a ricefield, over a small bridge and finally around the property’s enormous meandering natural lap pool to our accommodations.

We spent the night in Afrika, one of the property’s four original Javanese constructions brought to Bali and specially renovated for the purpose by owner-operators John and Cynthia Hardy (yes, of jewelry fame). Furnished with the couple’s private antique collection – in the case of Afrika, the antiques are from their travels across the African continent – the feeling is one of simplicity, natural materials such as wood and bamboo, beauty and agelessness.

This is not to say that guests need forgo modern conveniences and luxury. On the contrary: all the technology you would expect in a modern resort is there – wi-fi, phone, state of the art lighting, etc. The service is excellent: the humble and ever-smiling Balinese staff are totally unobtrusive yet only seconds away when needed. And as for luxury, the enormous copper bathtub and copper washbasins, high-tech WC/bidet, glass-bottled spa toiletries and rainfall shower that streams through the timber flooring to drench the ground below set the scene for relaxation and pampering.

All of this – and no TV – makes for a supremely romantic atmosphere… even the spectacularly comfortable four-poster net-covered beds may not be able to induce sleep until late into the first night. You were warned!

By the way, you won’t find yourself missing the TV: the night sky as seen from our private verandah kept us starry-eyed and spellbound, as did the perfect unspoiled morning view of mist clearing to unveil an expansive vista of lush green terraced ricefields and coconut palms across the valley.

As well as the perfect peace and quiet, it was also beautifully cool at Bambu Indah, which makes it a great respite from the sweltering heat that is encountered at many holiday destinations mid-year. Light down comforters made for the perfect night’s sleep.

For my Balinese friend, the experience took him back in time to the Bali of old, when life was simpler and dreamier, and the beautiful island was largely untouched by developers. For me the stay at Bambu Indah took me to a peaceful and magically quixotic place that was grounding, inspirational and a true escape.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bambu Indah? Share your experiences!