“"Discreet and private...Nice..."” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sri Phala Resort & Villa

You added Sri Phala Resort & Villa to your Saves list
Sri Phala Resort & Villa
3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Jl. By Pass Ngurah Rai No. 35, Sanur, Denpasar, Bali 80228, Indonesia   |
Ranked #40 of 66 Hotels in Sanur
Singapore
“"Discreet and private...Nice..."”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This resort is about 20 mins away from the airport and of walking distance to the beach. Me and my husband stayed here for 5 days in March (yah, I know it took me this long to write). The resort staffs could converse well in English and they were friendly. Check-in went smoothly. We booked a villa but didn’t expect that it’s HUGE, with 1 king size bed and 2 super single beds on the upper floor. The outdoor toilet was so sexy in the day but it’s creepy at night. All villas were positioned with great intervals and surrounded by lush tropics so you can be assured of being discreet and private. The breakfasts were cooked to perfection but with minimal choices, so if you stayed for 5 days, it could be tiring to eat the repetitive foods. Room service took about 40mins to be delivered and the foods were only luke warm when served. We do like it that the room was clean and mopped everyday when we left for breakfast. The resort pool was not of Olympic size but when we were there, its Off Peak, so it’s not crowded (this resort does not have villa that comes with its own private pool). We went for the 2hr spa package and it was rejuvenate. One of the days we spent was Nyepi Day (Day of absolute silence). So no lights up outside of the villa, no strolling by the beach and you have to stay in. On the eve of Nyepi Day, you could witness many rituals and colourful ceremonies, took place all over Bali. Overall stay in Sri Phala was pleasant as I believe like any other parts of Bali; the people are the faces of Bali.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed at Sri Phala for 6 days recently while my husband recovered from emergency surgery for a ruptured appendix with many complications (gangrene, peritonitis). The experience was horrible and wonderful at the same time, because the hospital where he was treated (BIMC Bali in Denpasar) was top-notch, great doctors, fabulous care, and very comforting to us, his family, and because the time he spent recuperating at Sri Phala was restful, considerate, and comfortable. Since we couldn't go out much, Sri Phala was a great place to experience a little bit of Balinese grace and beauty. Our king bed was delightful, with cool, fine sheets made up every day. The service was thoughtful and ever-present. There's a small pool with lounge chairs that is a cool refuge, the restaurant has decent food and great, complementary breakfasts with all the trimmings, and there's a spa with fantastic massages and scrubs. All-in-all even my 84-year-old mother-in-law thought it was pretty special. The stairs up to her room were a bit scary though -- I made her call me whenever she was going up or down because there was no hand rail, and her AC wasn't very efficient, but aside from those two quibbles it was a wonderful place to recharge our batteries before the long trip home. The staff is quick to respond to any request.

Room Tip: We got bungalow 304 -- it was only steps from the restaurant -- but all the bungalows are ranged aro...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

This is a new hotel that is still under construction. We got a very good deal on wotif.com for a room so decided to try it out. Our room was spacious and set up in a villa style so that we had the first floor of a villa with another room on the second floor so it felt pretty private. We had an extremely difficult time finding the hotel as the sign for the hotel is only facing you if you are heading into Ubud, but not if you are heading out and the phone number listed for the hotel wasn't working. So be forewarned if you are looking for it. There is a Circle K directly across the street which is convenient as well as helping us to find our way home.

The hotel is set back from the main street so it's not easy to tell just how large the hotel is. It has a nice welcoming reception area and then behind that there are a number of villas, a very nice infinity pool, and an open-air restaurant. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I accidentally left my key in my rented motorbike and the staff saw that and saved it for me at the reception desk, thankfully!

The location is excellent as it is a short walking distance to everything Ubud has to offer. Monkey Forest road is about a block away.

My only complaint is that the open-air shower has two issues: 1) It would be very easy to break into your room given the open air aspect of the bathroom There is a large two foot gap between the top of the shower and the ceiling which is open to the outside. It would not be difficult to climb right in from the outside. Given this, I'd recommend asking for a second-floor room. 2) The shower is set up with nice river rocks surrounding the shower floor. While this looks very nice, it's also an excellent breeding spot for mosquitoes in the trapped water in the rocks. This leads to a swarm of mosquitoes in the bathroom and in the room. The hotel sprayed for this one night when we complained and after our floor was covered in black spots from dead mosquitoes. The hotel needs to fix this problem by getting rid of the river rocks so that the mosquitoes don't have anywhere to breed. We brought this up with the front desk and they said that it's a tropical location and to be expected, but we did not have this issue anywhere else in Bali. Plus we're not the complaining types and are used to staying in less swanky digs but the number of mosquitoes was ridiculous. If they continue to spray for them, it shouldn't be a problem, but it would make more sense to change the design of the showers.

Free wi-fi is available in the reception area but not in the rooms.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room if you are concerned about security issues as it would be easy to climb into...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011 via mobile

The Location is great, a minute walking to THE beach... Close to a big road but you don't hear anything. Nice pool and good food... Just perfect.

• Stayed August 2011
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

What a lovely hotel with large clean rooms and comfy beds(which were also very large!) The staff were always friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was good and the staff were very accomodating when my two young nieces wanted to mix choices from the menu. Yes the pool is small and there are only a few sunbeds but we never found this a problem when we were having a quiet relaxing day at the hotel as it was quiet most of the time,in the days we stayed the I think we counted another 5 people as well as us 5 in the pool at the same time. The hotel is not far from the beach so not a problem to walk down when you feel like it. The hotel is out of centre of sanur but the walk along the beach is lovely and the taxis are so cheap we didn't find this a problem at all and the taxis are happy to take 5 people. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would love to go back sometime. Definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We booked through Agoda and got a good deal for our 2 rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We had a two-storey villa, with one bedroom on top, and one below. Those on the top floor got loud noise from an all night discotheque, yet our room was quiet enough.

The rooms were spacious and clean but it felt a little tired and outdated.

The breakfast offered 5 options and they were happy to mix and match, I found the breakfasts more than adequate and the staff in the restaurant helpful.

The pool area was very lush, if perhaps a little overgrown. The only annoyance was a Russian family who decided to hog all the sun loungers!

Sanur beach is a five minute walk away, although about 15 mins to get to the better restaurants along the beach. No real food option nearby aside from KFC and DUnkin' Donuts.

Found the staff pleasant and accommodating. Would happily stay there again as it was very laid-back.

Room Tip: Two storey villas are the best, but bring ear plugs in case of the nearby disco!
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Kelowna, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

My daughter and I visited Bali for the first time in December. We stayed in beautiful resorts in Ubud and near Lovina. My daughter was leaving the day before me so I wanted to accompany her to the airport, and to find a place to stay for one night for myself. I was a bit hesitant because of the mixed reviews but thought that the Sri Phala would be fine for one night. It really wasn't. When we arrived, I was upgraded to a garden view room. However, if this is an upgrade, I really wonder what the other room would have looked like. The hotel has seen better days. While the bed was clean, the rest of the room was not. Dirt in the corners, torn lampshades, torn curtains, an electronically controlled dispenser of what I think was insecticide, intermittent AC, torn screen in the bathroom, and on the balcony there were removable cushions for the chairs that were badly stained with feces (at first I thought the feces were human but later learned they were bat). I do not understand having white fabric cushions left on chairs that are badly stained in this way. Published amenities (robe and slippers) were not available. We had lunch while we were waiting for my room and the food was inedible. When we complained, the food was taken off the bill, which I appreciated. It is about a 20-30 minute walk to the beach where you can find reasonable food. I wanted to stay close to the airport - but this hotel was over an hour away when we took my daughter as traffic was very bad. Two good things are that the hotel is quiet at night and has a driver (extra cost) who will take you to the airport. However, this hotel does not live up to Bali standards. Even the computer available to guests was not working.

• Stayed January 2011

Been to Sri Phala Resort & Villa? Share your experiences!