“We left after one night” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Taverna

You added Hotel La Taverna to your Saves list
Hotel La Taverna
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Danau Tamblingan 29, Sanur, Denpasar, Bali 80228, Indonesia   |
Ranked #49 of 67 Hotels in Sanur
Los Angeles, California
“We left after one night”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

My son and I were very unhappy with the accommodations and service at La Taverna in Sanur. The website really misrepresents the resort and in particular, the calibre of the rooms. We were booked for four nights and left after one night even though the hotel charged us a penalty. La Taverna is very overpriced compared to the overall market and other experiences we had during almost three weeks in Indonesia - mostly in Bali. The room was below average with small uncomfortable twin beds.
We purchased an internet card from reception so we could connect to WIFI in the room, and my son got a bad electrical shock when he plugged his laptop into the outlet. The hotel sent an electrician to check the outlet and he told us there was nothing wrong with it. My son tried again and got another shock. The electrician checked with another adapter, and said the wiring was fine, that the problem was the laptop (an almost new MacBook Pro). We'd been using the laptop without any problems everywhere else we stayed. The hotel would not let us out of our four-night booking and referred us back to a local representative for our travel agent. Thankfully, we were able to exchange the remainder of our booking for three nights at another resort, but La Taverna charged us a penalty. We headed to Pemuteran, in the Northwest of Bali, and had no trouble with the laptop either there or our next stop, in Candi Dasa. The scene in Sanur is crowded and touristy - it depends what you like, but I would not recommend La Taverna.

• Liked — decent breakfast on the beach
  • Disliked — electric shocks from wiring in room and unaccommodating management
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Indonesian first
Cumbria, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

This charming, almost intimate hotel is an oasis of peace amongst a lot of basic and corporate hotels which we originally looked at in Sanur. The location is perfect for couples, with bungalows set in tropical gardens, set back from the main tourist strip and only yards away from the beach. Nice touches included the daybed within a stone's throw of the hotel's private beach, but far enough away from the persistent sales ladies trying to persuade you to have a massage or visit their market stall. The food was a good standard and freshly cooked to order (no awful buffets which we have experienced in some large hotels). Highlights included the wonderful breakfasts, especially the banana pancakes and the crispy made to order pizzas. The tables on the beach for a romantic dinner were perfect. On our last night, being serenaded whilst the waves crashed within 10 feet of our table was a highlight. We found all of the staff amazingly helpful and friendly. This is an older hotel and whilst the gardens were well kept and provided a brilliant setting, some of the rooms are basic but have rustic charm and features. However the public areas are ready for an overhaul. Overall, our best experience in Bali and we would not hesitate to return. Our only tip would be to negotiate the price, especially in low season. As with most things in Bali, you have to haggle. We did and got very good value for money.

• Liked — Setting and location
  • Disliked — Nothing, it fit our needs perfectly
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

I was staying out of Sanur and wanted to move to a location in Sanur instead. I went into Sanur to have a look and choose somewhere for my family to move to the next day. While I was taking a stroll walking on the public footpath next to the beach, I stopped by La Taverna as the gamelan performance got my attention. I was still on the public footpath when an incredibly rude security man from the hotel came up to me and loudly asked me over and over again if I wanted to eat at the hotel's restaurant. He seemed angry that I didn't want to go into the restaurant. When I ignored him because of his roughness, he told me I had to move over to the other side of the public footpath. I was not at all happy with his rough manner and then being told I couldn't choose where I wanted to stand on a public footpath. The duty manager came over and was equally rude-mannered. I told him I wanted to talk to the GM. He said he was the duty manager. I insisted on talking to the general manager. I went to the front desk and the duty manager followed behind me telling me to 'go to hell'. I spoke with a very pleasant lady at the front desk and left. I have serious reservations about this establishment. We stayed elsewhere and had wonderful treatment. Thankfully we will be writing a glowing review about the other hotel.

Stayed July 2008

Been to Hotel La Taverna? Share your experiences!