“Rooms vary and service is willing....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Griya Santrian

You added Griya Santrian to your Saves list
Griya Santrian
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Danau Tamblingan 47 | PO Box 3055, Sanur, Denpasar, Bali 80228, Indonesia   |
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Sanur
London, United Kingdom
“Rooms vary and service is willing....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I spent 12 nights at the Griya Santrian in January 2013 on the recommendation of a friend. It was my first time in Bali and I was planning to travel around a bit. Travelling independently, I booked directly and asked them to arrange a pick up for me from the airport. All was well with the pick-up, driver spoke good English and carried my bags for me. The transfer in itself isn’t far – but Bali traffic means that it took about 40mins! The road was being rebuilt – chaos – lovely chaos though!
On arrival I was told that I had been “upgraded” – I had booked a basic rated garden room online about 3 months previously so I was delighted with this. Sadly my “upgrade” was to a very old, tired room right next to the main pool and restaurant (noisy). This room stank, and the bathroom's cleanliness was questionable - I’m not sure if it was drains or bug spray… but I wasn’t happy to stay in it. It was pouring with rain and early evening. No one was really around and I was beginning to despair that the relaxing part of my holiday was going to feel like 1970’s Benidorm!
The chap on the reception was adorable – but just how well I was understood is debatable. I asked to see the room I had been “upgraded” from – this was at the back of the hotel gardens, the very back. Beautiful gardens, lovely pools, stunning new room blocks with the rooms from the website pictures in them. Back I trailed behind the chap who was kindly trundling my suitcase along, I was soaked and so was everything I had with me by the time we got to the room. Ironically this was more modern. The bathroom didn’t smell – but was tiny. Just a shower room with your chin in the sink when on the loo! It was clean and I was tired so I accepted it. It rained some more – Obviously this is not the Hotel’s fault and they did their level best to contend with the storms in the restaurant… but the fabric walls/blinds weren’t really up to it. It was a memorable first night in Bali – particularly the multitude of frogs I had to contend with on my way back to my room… all part of the experience and actually quite funny.
Breakfast (included in my rate) was average at best. The fruit was out and uncovered with a few flies dining heartlity - which put me off it. But the cooked to order how you like them eggs were excellent, as was the coffee – absolutely NOT worth the $16 extra they charge on the website for this. The short walk into Sanur provides some brilliant cafes and restaurants which do a much better job at a fraction of the cost.
After two days of wandering round the (whole of the) grounds thanks to the location of my “self-down-graded” room I had had enough – I wanted a shiny room like the ones on the website – and when I looked at the rates on line it was only $20USD extra per night to book a “deluxe” – so I asked if I could upgrade. This was met with genuine sorrow that I was not happy in my room. This was lamented at great length – though nothing other than $30 extra per night was forth-coming from the reception staff who could do nothing but pray for enlightenment about why this was more on site than it was on line.
I thought – what the hell, I’m on holiday – I was due to be there only 3 more nights so I took the $90 extra on the chin and moved into an absolutely wonderful room near the front of the hotel, set back from the pool with a beautifully appointed glass shower room and a huge bed, flat screen TV etc etc. Much happier – and the drains didn’t smell at all.
As it happened I was forced to cancel the next part of my trip – and thought it would be good to stay put for an extra 5 days. This was the most difficult thing I had to arrange in Asia! I couldn’t do it at reception and I had to call the reservations people from my room. The relevant person was “in a meeting” for 2 whole days and when I finally got an answer it was not exactly what I wanted. I was told that the internet rate was cheaper because you didn’t have to speak to someone and that my rate for the room for another 7 nights would be $20USD more than then published rate on their website. At least I got to stay in the same room - but the following morning I found out that I was no longer on B&B. Not a great loss but I felt utterly fleeced. I tried very hard to tell myself that this was due to lack of communication skills on behalf of the staff. The scary woman at breakfast who gleefully told me “you are not a breakfast guest” (quite loudly) wasn’t going to win any hospitality awards – ever. Sadly, I feel on reflection I was a captive audience and they simply fleeced me – not a way to retain customers at all.
I had a lovely time in Sanur – the town is fantastic – stay away from the beach hawkers if that bothers you because they are fierce and I didn’t go to the beach after that at all. It’s a good place to base yourself to do day tours – though there has to be a way around booking them with the drivers outside the hotel (who do the airport transfers) directly. You get the idea that it will be $50USD a day – my elephant trip ended up costing nearly $200… then again I have now learned.
The food in the hotel isn’t generally very good. The Indonesian stuff is very good – don’t bother with anything else – they make an effort but it’s not the same.
All in all, I actually ended up in a lovely, clean, well-appointed room in a lovely place – not the end of the world – but I do feel like I paid for it.

Room Tip: The rooms on the website are the deluxe or suite rooms - pay the extra.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We go to Bali at least once or twice every year, and decided to head to Sanur for a change. We've stayed at the Griya's sister property, the Puri Santrian, and figured it was time to try the Griya.

Great staff, very nice and friendly.

Good rooms - we were in the Beach Wing. However, we were told by many people (and noted on many reviews here on TA), that the newer block of Beach Wing rooms that were opposite us across an expanse of lawn, were nicer.

We did have a sewerage smell consistently in our bathroom, and the hotel didn't seem able to fix it.

Drinks were a bit pricey at the pool bar, but not really any worse than other large resorts.

Good location for restaurants, and while it wasn't there when we stayed (January 2013), I know a Starbucks has just opened up outside the hotel - a good coffee is always a big drawcard for me!

We didn't bother with the hotel's breakfast, because it was too expensive for us to justify ($20US plus). However, we had a number of breakfasts at The Wicked Parrot, which is right at the end of the driveway in to the hotel. Great food, great price!

The Wicked Parrot also does a mean dinner, and has a decent in-house band. Great value for right outside the hotel.

Room Tip: If booking a beach wing room, ask for the new wing.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This review is not really about the hotel as it was actually very good, clean, comfortable and on the beach. The rooms however are tired but pleasant enough.

The only way I could get to complain about the Thomas cook Signature transfers were through this platform. This has nothing to do with the hotel.

We booked private transfers through Thomas Cook Signature. Do not ever ever trust them to pick you up. We waited over an hour and a half for the transfer, the taxi q was 2 hours long and I had to get help from an airport porter, who I had to tip handsomely. Eventually contacted an agent for TC who told me to q for a taxi and he would reimburse us in the morning....not happening. He took a further hour to pay for a private taxi to take us to our hotel. Unacceptable given how much we paid up front for the transfer and to avoid this very thing happening. What is TC response to a complaint.....NIL! They have failed to respond. and it id8 months since the event. I would not recommend Thomas Cook in any way. .

Room Tip: Over looking the pool can be noisy but nice to look at.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mandurah, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

For the price of accommodation at the Griya Santrian, breakfast should be included. In saying that, we paid $12.50au each for breakfast one morning and it is very average, we were glad we did not pay extra for breakfast in our booking. We booked a deluxe room which was lovely, the only downside is the lighting is very poor, unableto read in room. Also, nowhere to hang out wet bathers or any hand washing! Beautiful pool area, but badly in need of shade around swim up pool bar!

Room Tip: Would not recommend the high price of the deluxe room and would say do not pay for breakfast upfront...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Griya Santrian hotel is set in lovely surrounds, with 3 beautiful pools, which every time we went for a swim, were pretty much empty. The 3 amazing pools always looked very clean. The grounds seem to be cleaned all the time as well, as every time we left our room, there always seemed to be gardeners doing things to the gardens! It was nice that the hotel had direct access onto the beach and the sun lounges, but the actual ocean wasn't that nice.
The garden wing room that we stayed in was massive, the largest hotel room that i've stayed in ever, you get lots of room for the price that you pay. However, the style of the room was a little outdated, but that didn't take away from the overall experience at all. The actual room was large but the bathroom was quite small.
All the staff were lovely and very friendly. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Garden wing rooms are massive and very quiet and are very close to one of the pools
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at the Griya Santrian for 7 days at the end of May/ beginning of June. We stayed in the garden rooms which we thought were basic and dated for the price. I understand the rooms in the middle area and closer to the beach have been refurbished and do look much nicer.

The grounds in the hotel were very beautiful, old architecture and lots of greenery - it was a calming atmosphere. Out of the three pools, we spent most time at the garden pool - it was the most relaxing. The middle pool was nice but had construction right next to it and the beach pool got quite busy.

The beach was nice and well maintained. The sun beds were very popular and it was always quite busy. The beach is not among the best I have seen in Asia but it was pleasant.

We did not opt for the breakfast in the hotel and often got breakfast from the bakery on the main road. We did however have lunch at the hotel quite often - it was nice and not too expensive.

Sanur is a very nice relaxed part of Bali. Good restaurants which are reasonably priced. As you come onto the main road from the hotel there are 4 or 5 decent places to eat, the 'Three Monkeys' was among our favourites. The bars have a good atmosphere and there is an abundance of live music.

The staff were friendly and pleasant however I feel they could have been a lot more helpful and there is definately room for improvement in that aspect.

The spa in the hotel grounds was great - I had a pedicure and a traditional balinese massage which was lovely.

All in all - beautiful grounds, average rooms (in the garden pool area) and room for improvement with teh staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Zeewolde, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Very good hotel, the best of Sanur. Nice staff.
Good food. Visit this Hotel, we stay there 5 times.
Nice romantic garden, like heaven.
You must vist this fantastic Hotel, near the beach.
Three pools!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Griya Santrian? Share your experiences!