“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Griya Santrian to your Saves list
Expedia.com Booking.com
Griya Santrian
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Danau Tamblingan 47 | PO Box 3055, Sanur, Denpasar, Bali 80228, Indonesia   |
Ranked #10 of 62 hotels in Sanur
Perth, Australia
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We just go back from 10 days at the Griya Santrian staying with my two small children and my parents. We had inter connecting garden wing rooms. I loved this hotel. The grounds where beautiful and the location is second to none. We chose to eat breakfast out of the hotel and had a great time exploring little places in walking distance. (A big thumbs up to the new Bread Shop - just down the main road to the left of the hotel - great fresh bread and breakfasts).
I'd definately stay here again - loved choices with the pool, the staff - Ketut (driver) and Evie - (welcome staff) were really lovely. The staff happily accommodated any request we had (such as having our room sprayed for mozzies each night or a softer pillow.)

I probably would choose the rooms closer to reception of the middle pool next time - it is a bit of a hike with little kids all the way to the beach or front gate.
My only complaint is re towels - the bathroom towels are grey and crunchy and they only let you have one pool towel per day. Now I dont mind only one towel - but there is nowhere to hang a towel at your room to dry other than to drape it all over the furniture. Maybe a towel rack on each balconey would be a good idea?

Thanks for a wonderful holiday Griya - We'll be back again.

PS - the construction going on is no bother at all and totally screened off.

Room Tip: Stay in the rooms closer to reception or beach wing.

721 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is my second stay at the Griya and I enjoyed a fantastic week here in April. It is a home away from home. The staff are lovely and so helpful. I had a garden wing room mere steps away from the garden pool - so clean and quiet. Even though there was some renovation work going on in the cottages near the middle pool, it really wasn't enough to bother me and was given a complimentary dinner and drink in the restaurant as compensation for any inconvenience which was very thoughtful and appreciated. The spa pavilion is near the beach pool so was not as peaceful as I would prefer whilst having a treatment but the treatment itself was fine. The restaurant staff are lovely, excellent service and great food. No questio for me of where to stay in Sanur the Griya is it for me and will be booking in for my next Bali trip for sure! Love the Griya.

Room Tip: Garden wing, ground floor room near the rear pool - very quiet and peaceful.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just returned from this hotel and had a great week. I read the previous reviews before I went and knew roughly what to expect.

The grounds are lovely, well-maintained and traditional, the pool area is very relaxing although not huge but his is an intimate non-corporate hotel, garden rooms are clean although the bathrooms do need updating but again perfectly clean, breakfast is ok but Bali doesn't excel on breakfasts as regards western choices we have found but you will not go hungry!! The bread offering here was good as was the choice of fruit compared with the second hotel we stayed in in Candidasa. Nice outdooor massage/spa area. The beach is literally 10 meters from the outside breakfast area and is perfectly nice.

We found a lack of information in the hotel on what to do in the area etc. Don't expect big tour boards showing tour options. The Balinese are not forthcoming on information. You have to ask!
We found the staff utterly charming and very friendly and gracious. You have to learn a bit of the language and smile. They are great smilers and if you show a little effort and interest you will be rewarded. We made many friends here.

We arrived after midnight and there was a great welcome with hot towels and the most delicious and welcome fruit drink. That we have never had anywhere else in the world.

Griya Santrian is well located for the restaurants in Sanur and yes there is quite a busy (small) road through Sanur but it is all part and parcel of the hustle and bustle of the place.

We were utterly charmed by the place and the people and would not hesitate to go back.

Sawtell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have stayed here many times before and they continue to raise the bar. The rooms are squeaky clean, the staff are great and the breakfast is unbelievable,all in a great location. I highly recommend this resort to all holiday makers as they cater for everybody's needs. You've stayed with rest, now try the best.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front with sea views are the best.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nungarin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband, 2 kids and I stayed here in March 2013. We were traveling with another family. The grounds of the hotel were lovely and the rooms nice and clean with great air conditioning. The kids loved all three pools and swapped between them all the time. I was worried about mosquitos but although I did get bitten once they were not a problem.
The staff were genuinely lovely and helpful.
Breakfast was usually good. Breakfast at the Porch, across the road, is divine! We loved it.
The location is good with great restaurants in close walking distance. We liked the Mona Lisa, the wicked Parrot, the Porch, three Monkey and the Village restaurants. We all loved the food and service at Mona Lisa the best.
For shopping, Hardys department store is awesome. It has most things you can buy in the stalls, and a supermarket. It is not straight across the road but you turn left and walk down the main road a bit and it is on the right side of the road. The are other 7-11 type shops along the road (k-circle)
I had a foot massage in the shop next to the Wicked parrot and it was great.
The only problem was we asked for connecting room but they only had adjoining for us- but our friends got connecting- although that could have been the travel agent.
I would stay here again. We loved this area, it was nice and quiet.

Room Tip: We stayed up the back and the rooms are older. The ones nearer to the beach looked lovely.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

After read some reviews... I prepared for the worse when I chose garden wing room... Still I dissapointed with the quality of the room.
Con:
When we arrived nobody greeted us or help us took our bags from the cab.
The cleanliness of the room not satisfactory.. They were dust in the lamp, cupboard etc
The worst part was my bed linen colour... The color was ... Supposed to be white' but it wasn't...

Pro:
After first night, i asked specifically to get bed linen with the white one and yay' got it :)
Check in was smooth and their welcome drinks were the best.
3 pools
The only place I found hotel guests so friendly... Maybe friendlier than hotel staffs..
Again... The hotel guests really made my day.

Will I return? Hmm still cant decide, maybe Sanur just wasn't for me too as I didn't like the beach and i felt Sanur and some restaurants were overrated.. But hey They're 2 places I'd love to try again and really really good: cafe batu jimbar n Three monkeys.

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Currently staying in the griya santrian. I do not understand why people are raving about this place??? Bali is the country of the smiles but defintely no smiles in this hotel... First negative was reception person at check in, very unfriendly. We got no information, we had to push our bags ourselves while he did not call for a porter. Room is very dated. Also not clean. Renovation works are going on making noise all day long. Bfast is again very average. We asked for a deca coffee but they did not have. Then I asked for a cappuchino but again you cannot get it before 10.00.... Bfast buffet is again very average and not many healthy options.
Sanur also has no nice beach, very small and not cleaned (i.e. dirty)
Yes the griya is in the centre but I think this is a negative as well... The street is terribly busy (read noisy) and smelly because of the exhaust fumes. Yes you can have dinner at that smelly busy noisy road at average prices but the quality is also very average. Drinks are expensive.
Many guests here in the hotel come and go from the supermarket with food and drinks (suspect they eat in their rooms?) as the restaurant in the evening is almost empty....

I will not recommend this hotel. You would expect for a room rate of 180 USD excl. bfast in a low cost country someyhing nicer.... wouldn't you?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Griya Santrian? Share your experiences!