“Wonderful experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Griya Santrian

You added Griya Santrian to your Saves list
Griya Santrian
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Danau Tamblingan 47 | PO Box 3055, Sanur, Denpasar, Bali 80228, Indonesia   |
Ranked #10 of 67 Hotels in Sanur
Edmonton, Canada
“Wonderful experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Prior to arriving I had to change my plans and arrangements. I emailed the hotel the changes and everything was handled professionally so this was a good start before I even arrived.

I had never been to Bali before so I had arranged to have the hotel pick me up. After I cleared immigration, I came out to find a beautiful Balinese girl standing there in a traditional dress with a sign with my name on it and a large smile. The smiles were to follow me the rest of the trip. Whenever you met any staff they were always smiling and greeting you. This was a great way to start my trip to a new country. She took me to where the driver was with a van, new clean well maintained, and off the three of us went to the hotel. It took awhile to get there but that was certainly nobody's fault. It was rush hour traffic in Densapar.

When I arrived I was quickly checked in to my pool side room. I walked out of my room and the pool was right there. The restaurant as well was five steps to my right. I thought it was a great location. I should say at night you could here the music that was played at the restaurant, one night jazz other nights traditional Balinese music. I liked hearing it in my room. Others may not if that is the case I would recommend a garden room instead. The room was very large. The air-conditioning worked great which is absolutely necessary given what I was to find was the extremely high Bali humidity (I changed shirts 3 times a day). It was very clean and the bed was perfect. I don't like soft beds. It was very comfortable for my bad back.

The pool is large and warm as is the ocean. I met a number of very nice people both staff and guests during my stay. The grounds are very tranquil to walk around with the gardens and statues.

There is a sidewalk along Sanur beach you can use to explore the area and the main road has tons of restaurants and shops to explore. They do have a security gate that checks all vehicles entering which is comforting these days.

The only real downsides were minor. The biggest was the lack of internet in the room. You had to go to a common area near the lobby for the WiFi. I happen to be addicted to my smartphone and normally use it often late at night and would have liked to have internet in the room. Also in that common area where you sit to use the WiFi the air does not really move very much they should get more powerful fans. I found the breakfast to be average.

Overall I had a wonderful stay and will stay there next time I am in Bali

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We recently returned from a stay in the Garden Wing at Griya Santrian. We were in one f the cottages facing on to the middle pool. It was an idyllic place to be in the hotel and we enjoyed the view from our porch over the pool area. The cottage was Balinese in style. The mattress was rock hard and be bathroom close to needing a refurbishment but adequate, the front pool was ample and the beachfront area fantastic. Breakfast typical and adequate for hotels of its type. The hotel had good restaurants on its doorstep making it an ideal place to stay. We enjoyed beautiful sunrises, great beachfront drinks and eats reasonably priced and attentive staff. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Just enjoyed 8 nights at the Griya Santrian after a hectic few days in Kuta (Ramada Bintang - Tuban). First thing you notice is the beautiful grounds and even better location with the ocean at your door step. Hotel has access to a pathway along the beach for enjoying a stroll/walk/run or bike ride. 3 swimming pools means that you have options if the front/beachside pool is a little crowded and all 3 have their benefits. Breakfast is enjoyable and pool side tables provide a great view of the ocean. It took a couple of days getting to know the best way order breakfast (ours not included) but found the "Sunrise Breakfast" for $6USD more than sufficient and a good option if you are not the smorgasbord all inclusive breakfast type. We found booking it up to our room daily a great option as we had a few days when we did not need breaky. Same location also very nice for dinner if you want to stay in.

The interconnecting rooms 151 and 152 were both very dark and tucked away in a back corner of the garden. Rooms were damp smelling and although sufficient in terms of size (we travelled with 2 teenage boys) not very welcoming. Mosquitoes were in high numbers go prepared with plug in repellent as they were not supplied. Water pressure in the bathrooms was poor and I had to run the water for at least 5 minutes before the hot water came through.

Family members had the deluxe room 214 which was fantastic and worth the extra few dollars per night. Great size and great location. Bathroom well equipped. Frosted glass bathroom could be a bit off putting re: privacy.

Room 159 was big enough for two but the hotel had squeezed in a third bed in for my sisters family. We had to shuffle furniture around so that they could get in and out of the door without having to climb over the bed.

Satellite TV channel selection not great (a portable DVD or laptop a good option).

Activities for teenagers not in high supply. Jet skis can be hired out the front for around $20 per 15 minutes. Bikes and kayaks available from hotel but we hired down the road - cheap cheap. Free WiFi available in the internet lounge of the hotel got plenty of use. Age group around the main pool can be older but the two gardens pools were more family friendly.

Overall an excellent hotel and a very relaxing stay. Local restaurants Mona Lisa, Warung Little Bird and Wicked Parrot were our pick of the bunch.

Room Tip: 214 deluxe room was a great size and great location to the main pool. 152 & 151 Interconnecting...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The place is either crowed by Aussies, Poms or mature guests (wintering over) but it is one of the best Hotels for a family to stay especially when it is their first visit to Bali. The Beach is clean, there are 2 pools and the front beach pool is very large. Can really only find 3 faults - 1 The beautiful building used as an art: gallery features amateur and uninteresting "art" and it could be used better as a ice-creamery & bar & snacks also lounge & meeting area. 2 It can be difficult at times to find a deck chair as Guest do tend to have a habit of securing their deck chair by placing their "stuff" on it and then disappearing for most of the day and unfortunately the pool staff do not monitor this. 2 Other times the noise of the music played at the bar-pool can be disturbing (thump-thump) so you go to the garden pool but there at times you cannot swim because people dive bomb into the pool off the spa column (again this pool is also not monitored) so watch the kids for safety reasons. On the good side the rooms & gardens are fantastic. The staff are kid friendly and it is centrally located in Sanur.

Room Tip: If you want the best room then the old adage applies - you get what you pay for.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Indeed this place is crowded with Aussie's, so at the main pool you sometimes forgot about Bali.... Notwithstanding we really enjoyed our stay at Griya. Lovely gardens, pools and attentive staff. The private beach is top of the notch, with great chairs and exceptionel views. Breakfast was one of the best during our 3 week stay in Indonesia. Development points: the restaurant was so so, we preferred to eat elsewhere. The room we had was super clean and comfortable but a bit out-of-date.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Griya santrian....wow..first of all great location. I was there with my family for a week during new years. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very private and large. The restaurants are soooooo cheap. Mind you all restaurants are very cheap when u r vacationing from moscow. The board walk behind the hotel runs parallel to the beach and connects all hotels and you have a variety of restaurants to chose from. Bennos was one of our favs for morning breakfast. The only thing confusing is the money denominations as the 1 canadian is 10000 rupiah. Good thing they dont have coins ....u would be carrying bags around. The pools are very well kept and the serving staff are very helpfull. Place is full of australians. You' l get used to them. Lol. The negative was there is no gym in this hotel. Closest was ari pro about 10 min taxi ride and costs about 10 dollar a day or 50 for a month. Massages on the main street are about 4 dollar for feet and 6 for balinese full body. Good luck...trust me you wont regret this hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

A very good friend recommended this hotel to me; I looked at the reviews on this site also - raving about this hotel. I have just arrived home from 14 days at the Gryia Santrian - I absolutely loved this hotel - infact; i did not want to leave. The amazing customer service from arrival (iced strawberry drink served to you with a cool wet washer to cool down) whilst you check in; the daily breakfast, the kind gesture of upgrading my room on arrival - it was seriously hard to leave. The staff everyday had an amazing / welcoming and sincere attitude which was great to see. I had room 201 for the duration of my stay and I had no dramas what so ever; the cleaners were very thoughtful on a daily basis and the late night room service (banana fritters with ice-cream) were to die for. Location is central to all everything, hired a bicycle from the hotel on a daily basis to get around Sanur which was a treat and met great people during my stay also. Overall, an amazing holiday at this hotel - to the point I will be returning in August and December this year and will be staying at the Griya Santrian once again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Griya Santrian? Share your experiences!