“Bali Beach Spa - Just Right” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inna Grand Bali Beach Hotel

You added Inna Grand Bali Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Inna Grand Bali Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jln. Hang Tuah | P.O.Box 3275, Sanur, Denpasar, Bali 80032, Indonesia   |
Ranked #55 of 67 Hotels in Sanur
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Bali Beach Spa - Just Right”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I did not stay in this hotel, but only having their spa service.

The impression is good upon arrival at the hotel. It's a bit run-down but from the aesthetic point of view, it is still acceptable.

The spa was just right and relaxing, overseeing the beach front.

Room Tip: Spa only have 2 units facing the beach front with clear glass front.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Adelaide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

It is with regret that I am writing a negative review for this hotel. I have stayed at the GBB five times previously and have fond memories of great family/group holidays. Yes the hotel is dated but before this trip I have always found it to be clean and the beautiful grounds in the garden wing had outweighed the negatives.

I usually travel with a group of 10+ people and so the rooms in the garden wing suit us as we can stay near each other around the pool. This time I travelled by myself and did a lot more day trips and so I didn't use the hotel pool or grounds as much as usual and so the usual positives didn't mean as much to me this time and the quality of the rooms were more of a focus.

I was in Bali on and off for two months and my intention was to use the GBB as my base in Sanur. Because friends and family stay at the GBB regularly I get a good rate and so it was an easy choice to stay there again.

However this time I had a few problems. In a two month period I stayed at the hotel three times and after a few negative experiences I didn't bother going back towards the end of my trip.

The first time I checked in (4-9 April 2012) they didn't have any record of my booking and as the hotel was full with a conference (a normal occurrence as it is a government hotel) they could only give me a twin room for the first night (room 1817 upstairs in the garden wing with garden view). There was nothing wrong with this room, I just wanted a king bed. The staff at reception was very nice and accommodating and as they didn't have my booking and I am part of a regular group that stay at the hotel they upgraded me to a suite room (room 1201 upstairs near the "blue diamond" with a garden view). Again there was nothing wrong with this room, but it wasnt amazing. The bathroom was a bit run down but most importantly it was clean. The suite room has an extra living area with couch and table. The only problem with this room was the view I felt like I was shoved in the back corner of the hotel as the room overlooked the top of the walkway - lots of electrical cables and plumbing. But I stayed in this room for 5 nights and overall I didn't have any problems.

The second time that I checked in (13-15 April 2012) I had pre -booked a downstairs room overlooking the pool area (room 1704). The downstairs rooms are my favourite rooms to stay in. Again the room was not amazing but it was acceptable for the price. The main attraction for me is the gardens around the pool, nice big grassed area with palm trees right on the beach, and the general location of the hotel in the Northern part of Sanur. The hotel origianlly quoted me USD$25 per night to store my luggage while I was away and I was lucky enough to not be charged for this.

I then returned to the hotel on 19 April without a booking. I was told that the hotel was at 100% capacity with another conference but there were cottages available. They said that they would give me the beachfront cottage (room 2314) usually USD$100 per night at the same price as my normal room rate. Sounded too good to be true. And it was. As soon as I entered the room I noticed how rundown it was. There were stains on the tiles, the walls were mouldy, the bathroom was more rundown than usual, the light in the wardrobe wouldn't turn off and there were ALOT of mosquitos in the room. My initial thought was to stay out late, get up early and try to find another room but then I thought "why should I pay for this?". I called reception and asked for the porter to come and collect my bags (the cottages are a short car ride away from the main hotel area). To the hotels credit I was able to checkout without any problems and I didn't need to pay anything. There was no need to argue with them I just said that I was very sorry and that I was not prepared to pay for the room due to the problems mentioned above. I cannot fault the hotels staff. It was interesting to note that the porter made a comment in the car along the lines of all of the cottages should all be knocked down. Hmm.

So I checked out with a bad taste in my mouth wondering whether or not I would bother again.

A few weeks later I needed accommodation for a few more nights and so I thought I will give the hotel one more chance. I booked into the hotel again on 30 April for 3 nights. The first night I had the worst night sleep of my trip (room 1824 - garden wing upstairs overlooking the pool end room with extra large balcony). All night there was a loud noise coming from the roof. To start with I thought someone was trying to enter through the locked interconnecting room door but then I realised that it was coming from the roof. The roof has a very high peak so it wasn't outside onto of the roof but something inside. Sounded like giant rats running around. It would be quiet for a while and then THUMP something would run around in the roof. I didn't feel in danger but I was slightly scared and it didn't make for a good nights sleep. The next morning I woke up and the fridge had stopped working and the built up ice in the freezer had melted and flooded the area near the fridge. So off I went back to reception and without even saying hello the girl just smiled and said "do you want a new room?" "yes please". Room 1304 was to be my 5th and final room at the hotel.

It was similar to room 1704 - downstairs in the garden wing area overlooking the pool except it stank of cigarette smoke. Again nothing overly wrong with this room I was just a bit over the hotel by this stage.

I cannot comment on the breakfast or room service as I did not include breakfast with my accommodation or order room service.

Positives -
* hotel staff are fantastic and really went out of their way to try to please me with the run down resources that they have. everyone is really friendly from the staff at reception, the housekeeping staff and the gardeners.
* grassed area is still fantastic - sometimes I had the whole pool area to myself
* pizzas from the beachfront restaurant are really good
* the hotel stocks bali cider which is sometimes hard to find
* the restaurant overlooking the golf course is very nice (worth going to even if not staying at the hotel)
* beachfront location is perfect for watching sanur's stunning sunrises

Negatives -
* the graden wing pool is not very clean. someone cleans it every morning but the tirta pool should be drained and scrubbed to remove the green build up
* the main pool by the tower can be very busy during conferences
* as per above review of the different rooms. the hotel is run down and in need of a big overhaul. unfortunately as it is regularly full with conferences the occupancy rate does not reflect the poor quality of the hotel.
* lack of good wifi. can be purchased or you can get a code from the pizza bar if you purchase something but the signal is not very good.

Room Tip: I would only stay in the garden wing, preferably in the ground floor rooms overlooking the pool. If...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Anybody looking for a trip, as a couple or as a family to Europe need a knock on the head.
Pretty much for the price of a trip to Greece or the Costa's you can come to the paradise that is Bali instead and when you weigh up the cost of eating out in Europe, with the euro worth 50p and a conker, it makes overall sense to try something a little different.
Thats what hotels like these are about
Having looked at previous reviews and some photo's, my experience wasnt like this
Yes, it was fairly basic in relation to some 5 star places but they will cost you double
My room was clean, i upgraded to a suite on arrival but dont actually think its worth it, everything worked, the breakfast was good (you can eat this facing the beach but get a much less selection but a nice touch anyway) and the pool and beach are lovely.
I have stayed in much worse places that cost a lot more money.
Go on, treat the kids !!!

Room Tip: Dont bother upgrading to a suite, not really worth the extra money
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

If you get a good deal this hotel is probably worth a try. We were there for a conference. The beach in this area is very low-tide, not deep most of the time and looks muddy because it's so shallow. But the pools are good, the beach-side restaurant is nice. The food is pretty predictable though. You can walk down the boardwalk to some nice little restaurants further down. The hotel is showing signs of its age, it was apparently the first built at Sanur. We find Sanur a bit far from the places we like to go to. On the other hand it is closer to Ubud and we got there in about 45 minutes. The hotel appears to be very popular with very large groups of tourists from other parts of Asia, so is very full and well-used. We were woken up two mornings by very loud noises on the beach, we think it was beach aerobics.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Jakarta,Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

Hmm. For one thing, sanur doesnt excite me. And if it did, there's other hotels for a similar price with better amenities and facilities nearby, such as the plaza suites. This hotel is somewhat old, so the aircon is not cold or remotely cool in the wing I stayed at. The technicians were helpful but they couldn't do much. Receptionists gave ok service. The staff here are nice because they have pleasant personalities, not because they've been well trained I suspect. The breakfast is just barely ok. I wouldn't pay to stay here when Bali has so many other fabulous choices in that price range.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Northern NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I rented a chair out the front and used their pool and food facilities on the beach. Nice layout and seemed clean enough.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Our flight to Melbourne was cancelled and they transfered us to this hotel. It states as a 5 star hotel but I cannot see any 5 star standard here. The room was dull and dirty, the appliances were old and the staff were very unprofessional, especially the staff at the restaurant. The food was boring and plain, the whole atmosphere was gloomy. I overheard a Canadian family argiung at the front desk, saying that they paid big cash to stay at a 5 star hotel that turned out to be less than 2 star for them.
They need to be reviewed and stop promoting false information.

Room Tip: If you are transfered to this hotel by Jetstar, demand another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Inna Grand Bali Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!