“Good Choice in Sanur but Issues with the Owners” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aquarius Beach Hotel Sanur

You added Aquarius Beach Hotel Sanur to your Saves list
Aquarius Beach Hotel Sanur
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Jalan Pantai Sindhu, Sanur, Denpasar, Bali 80228, Indonesia   |
Ranked #31 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Sanur
Perth, Australia
“Good Choice in Sanur but Issues with the Owners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I originally posted this review on October 20, 2013 which I wrote during the middle of our stay. I gave Aquarius 4 out of 5 and titled my review “4.5 Stars - Ticks Nearly All the Boxes”. I removed it to add an update at the bottom of the review.

Original review: We stayed at Aquarius for 8 days though we booked for 9 nights to allow for early morning check in and a late evening departure. We booked direct via email and had really good service. Based on other travellers’ reviews we asked for an upstairs room away from the street and requested a blanket plus we advised we were arriving around 1:00am. It wasn't a problem, everything was arranged as requested.

Our room (#3) was large and light with a very comfortable bed, TV, fridge, kettle, wardrobe (with a safe) coffee table and chairs. The room is air conditioned and has a ceiling fan - we found we needed both on day and night (it was around 33 degrees Centigrade each day). The bathroom and shower recess were spacious; there was a cupboard under the sink and 4 hooks on the wall plus 2 towel rails. The balcony has a table and two chairs and a towel rail. The balcony faces west so was in the direct sun for much of the day and was too hot for us to use apart from the early morning and evening.

As mentioned by others, the hotel has only 16 rooms so it is quite peaceful. It seemed to have just couples as guests while we were staying. The swimming pool is a good size with plenty of sun lounges. There is a kitchen near the pool that guests can use and fridge/freezer (this was originally planned for the guests breakfast cafe but then they switched to using Lutu's). The beach, and Lutu's, is about 250 metres and the main street about 300 metres in the other direction so it's in a good location for nearly everything you need. Plus the White Sands bar is directly opposite.

Small areas for improvement:
1. the vertical blinds are terrible - they let in too much light, they twist around leaving large gaps, you can easily get caught up in them trying to get through the doorway
2. the bathroom towels are kid sized not adult sized
3. water pressure in the shower was variable (generally good but then sometimes quite low and the water just stopped one time)

All in all Aquarius is good value, well appointed, conveniently located and quiet. I'd stay here again but in a room with more shade (5 or 7 upstairs or a downstairs room).

Update: on our last day at the Aquarius I spoke to the of Aquarius about the issues with the vertical blinds and asked whether they would replace them. I got a very condescending reply along the lines that Australians don’t know how to properly use vertical blinds (which is a load of rubbish). I mentioned that many people had commented adversely on TripAdvisor about the amount of light the blinds allow into the rooms but there was absolutely no interest in listening to the feedback or addressing the issue. If the staff, location and other amenities weren’t so good I’d refuse to stay again. However, we’ve booked to come back to Bali (Sanur) in May 2014 and we are now tossing up between Aquarius and the Sayang Sanur Terrace House.

Room Tip: Rooms 5 or 7 upstairs or a downstairs room tend to get more shade from the afternoon sun which makes...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just got back from 12nights at Aquarius our first time at this lovely hotel.We will definitely return as we found it ticked all the boxes for us.I cannot fault anything.The only suggestion I would make is please provide a light blanket in the rooms . The staff are lovely and very helpful.we can't wait to stay again .We stayed in a top floor room which was very large and light which we found really nice.the balcony was a good place to enjoy a cold drink in the evening,before wandering the50mtres down to the beach for dinner by the beach .luhtus is very good and is the same owners as the hotel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Have spent 4 nights here & have had a very enjoyable stay :) I would highly recommend this hotel when staying in sanur! it's a 2 minute walk from the beach in a very quiet street so no traffic noise at all. The cafe they own serves a really nice breakfast which was included in my stay & they make amazing cakes! Plenty of choices to eat nearby along the beach. It's brilliant that everything is within a short walking distance.

My room is spacious & very clean with a fabulous shower, tv & comfy bed. Love the pool area which I have had to myself most of the time :)

The staff have been so friendly & it's lovely that they call you by name when they see you. I am a solo female traveller & have felt very comfortable & at home here.

I would highly recommend Aquarius, don't hesitate to book, it really is a wonderful place to stay!

Thank you to all the staff at Aquarius for a lovely stay!

• Stayed September 2013
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Loved the hotel and everything in it. It is only small (about 14 rooms)... the rooms are clean and spacious and with lovely decor. the bathroom is spacious and very nice... very hot water and great shower . The only fault would be that there is no blanket on the bed's. you are only given a sheet, but you can ask for a blanket if need be.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Just spent 11 nights at this lovely hotel small about 14 rooms in all .Rooms are very spacious and lovely decor air con and fan bathroom large and great shower,lovely pool with lots of sun decks and lots of shade nice verandah and lovely gardens staff very friendly and room kept immaculate.
Only had one small problem there was no blanket on bed on arrival only small sheets but after requesting blankets that was fine .Fantastic bfast at Lutus coffee shop only 2 minute walk to beach front shops and restaurant just lovely wil be back for sure so reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kalbarri, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

after much research I booked my room through asiarooms. On arrival from airport, they said they had no booking but I wonder if they just booked someone else in and that then left me without a booking because they took me to another hotel that I would not have stayed in by choice because it was not where I wanted to be. There were other people staying at the other unmentioned hotel that was connected to aquarius. I chose aquarius for the particular position and if I was unable to confirm this booking I would have booked myself in another prefered area, where I would have had good beach access and shopping eating etc.can't see how you can get documents from asia rooms and aquarius not have your booking.Also I asked them to get back to me and they didn't. would be good if you get in off street but not for prebooking.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel doesnt have all the frills,hence the price,but the rooms are lovely with all the facilities you need It does not have a restaurant or a bar,but you are free to have a drink with your friends in the outside area by the pool.Breakfast can be had at the bottom of the street Same people own both places We love eating at Lutus The staff for both properties are lovely If you want a good hotel at a great price try it out

Room Tip: We were down below and it was fine but upstairs would make sure there was no noise from other guests...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Aquarius Beach Hotel Sanur? Share your experiences!