“Good to start but it wears off” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe to your Saves list
Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Jl. ByPass Ngurah Rai 209, Sanur, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #14 of 84 Sanur B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Good to start but it wears off”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We spent 7 nights here recently and our initial impressions were very impressed. We got a great rate at Wotif (less than $100 per night), and when we arrived we jumped straight into the lovely pool to cool down and order some drinks and snacks from the poolside. We had dinner in the restaurant the first night which was served quickly, though we were unimpressed with the manufactured hamburger pattie and lack of serving size. The breakfasts were very convenient, however we got sick of the same thing every day with such little variety, and the we found ourselves going out for more variety and substance nearing the end of our trip. Another unfortunate feature was the bed itself, it was sagging severely in the middle which made for a terrible sleep, and then very tiring days following. We kept saying we could come back throughout our stay there, at least for 2 or 3 nights when we return to Bali, however when we received a bill for ~$25AU on checkout because our 2 year old broke a toothpick holder and very basic ceramic bowl in the restaurant through the week, it was the nail in the coffin. We could buy the same bowl for $3 in Kmart here. With the restaurant set up like a museum and breakable items everywhere (and a tile floor), don't be surprised this place isn't kid friendly. Some small changes and this place would be lovely to return to over again, however it's now crossed off our 'regular' list.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
Alphen aan den Rijn, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Perfect hide away from the crowded, unoersonal hotels on the strip in Sanur.
The little houses are beautifully decorated, have a cosy setting, but you have your privacy. The garden is great and well maintained and we LOVED the restaurant.
If you come to Indonesia, you might want to indulge in the local food. But this was even better. Indonesian food with a little twist, brought by someone with an eye for detail and fantastic tatste. We are going to come back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Orebro, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

During my 20 days on Bali and Flores, this was my favorite spot. I stayed here for 6 nights and loved every minute. I had a little charming house with a garden, terrace and hammock..That was absolutely wonderful. I loved all the Art Deco antique furniture/arts everywhere...perfect combination with traditional balinesian arts/craft. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Nice bed, slept very well. Breakfast was perfect for me, scrambled eggs, toasted bread, pancake, fruitsallad, juice & tea. If you like beautiful design, peaceful and silence..this is the place for you. For me, this is much better than staying at a big boring hotel complex down at the beach. I will certainly stay there again next time i visit Bali:-)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We were recently fortunate to come across this beautiful, unique and relaxing property. Everything here is done in perfection, right down to the last detail, the rooms are meticulous, the service is excellent, yet not overbearing. We had a wonderfully relaxing time here. Our host, Dom has taken care of every little detail in the property, and is most accommodating at all times.
The concept of the property is very unique, all of the bungalows are original antique Javanese homes! They are furnished with antiques sourced throughout Indonesia one can just relax and go back in time, something we all need more of. The small restaurant in front is along the same lines, but with more of a European feel. The food is excellent. After several weeks of eating Indonesian food, it was a real nice change to have gourmet sandwiches, and a special chocolate cake. We have been in Indonesia from Canada on business and were very pleased with the Puri. By the way, we also enjoyed a couple sessions of the hot yoga, and we are now believers, we will look into this when we get back to Canada. The only drawback is that it is located to the busy road, but once you are inside the grounds, you would never know that it is there. Highly recommended! This is a wonderful respite from the mutlinational chains that are the same in Bali as in Mexico.

Room Tip: They have a couple family villas with their own pool. Perfect for a couple of couples, or with kide...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

This hotel is really relaxing and enjoyable. Despite other reviewers comments about the management, we found the owner, a Frenchman to be friendly and helpful. We loved the ambiance, charming old cottages brought from Java and re-assembled, your cottage is all your own so they are very private. They are furnished with renovated art deco furnishings and modern facilities. Breakfast, although not a buffet, has plenty of choice and is more than adequate. The gardens are really beautiful, a haven amongst busy streets. The one possible disadvantage is that it is about a 10 minute walk from the main drag, however we didn't mind this as it gave us some exercise after the over-eating and lying round the pool.

Room Tip: I think any cottage here would be fine. Couldn't really choose one above the others. All are d...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I was a bit hesitant given some of the past reviews - but this place was first rate! The bungalows are gorgeous - lots of art deoc furniture mixed with some classic indonesian bits - lovely porches to sit on and enjoy the peace and quiet. The coffee shop out the front has fabulous food for brekky or any time of the day. The gardens and pool area are also gorgeous as is the spa and reading area. It is a bit out of the way of the beach - but only a slow 10 minute walk down to the shops and restaurants down the back streets. Over all couldn't fault it - the staff where also extremely helpful and pleasant - it beats the overcrowded beach resorts by a mile!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Wedding Lead-up

Not long after the proposal, my fiancé and I decided to get married in Bali. With the help of my Mother in Law to be, we began the long, frustrating process of finding a suitable, affordable venue. We wanted somewhere that had a Balinese feel but would allow us to have a non-formal, ceremony and party for 60 people. Places we considered included; the Sanur Orchid Gardens, Tirta Gangga, Ujung Water Palace, private villas and various hotels and restaurants.

Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe was in the last stages of construction when my MIL met with the owner in early June, 2010. It was situated on the bypass road, with a 15 min walk to the main street of Sanur. Even though the location was not ideal, it still had sufficient potential to entice us into considering it for our wedding. Two of the things that came from this meeting were if there were any noise restrictions, especially if the reception went late, and if there was a Banjar fee for holding the wedding there. MIL was told, and relayed the information to myself and my fiancé, that there was no curfew and no Banjar fee because it was a commercial area with no neighbours.

Another thing to come from this meeting was that if we were to choose this hotel as our venue, we would need to book out all of the villas for a minimum of 3 nights on top of the venue hire fee. At this stage a venue hire fee was not agreed upon due to the hotel being new and the owner having not considered this before.

As this hotel appealed to myself and my fiancé, we sought further information regarding priced for accommodation costs and number of villas available. It took a few emails to ascertain the number of villas and costs for each one as we were initially quoted the wrong price for the 2 bedroom villa. Eventually we received information that there was:

9 X 1 bedroom villa without a pool for USD 80 per night (inc. breakfast)
1 x 1 bedroom private villa without a pool for USD 110 per night (inc. breakfast)
2 x 2 bedroom villas with private pools for USD 150 per night (inc. breakfast)

We also inquired about the venue hire fee. After time, we were quoted USD250 and were ecstatic with this figure, having been quoted much higher costs at other venues we had looked at. It was with this particular knowledge and our initial appeal for the hotel that we decided to go ahead and book it. We even went as far as to book a week’s worth of accommodation for ourselves, and varying nights for our bridal party and close friends, in good faith, as they had given us a discounted rate for our stay. This was due to the owner expressing his desire to use our wedding to promote his hotel as desired wedding venue. By the time our flights were booked, and in some cases re-booked, dates were changed, the hotel was informed and everything was adjusted accordingly. We had effectively booked out most of the venue for the week leading up to the wedding.

Between the point of initial contact with Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe and our stay, the manager of HPTD who was our person of contact changed various times. Even though it was more than a bit confusing keeping up to date with who was in charge, we took this in our stride and made the best of it. During one of these changes, one of the guests staying at HPTD contacted the hotel wishing to make a deposit on his room. He was informed that there was no wedding on the weekend in question and no booking for any of the guests. It took some distressed phone calls on my part and my MIL, to hunt down the cause of the problem and rectify the situation.

In January 2011, my fiancé and I made the decision to fly to Bali for a few nights to wrap up some loose ends and make some finalised decisions in preparation for the wedding so that when we arrived in Bali in April we would not be stressed. It was during this time that we decided to visit HPTD and talk with the owner’s wife, as well as the manager of the time Mery. Also at this meeting was Annie, our chosen caterer for out reception. She was the one who introduced us to HPTD and was a friend of the owners and had worked with them before.

It was at this point that things began to get ‘interesting’. During this meeting we were shown around the grounds and into a few of the rooms. We then sat down to discuss certain aspects of the wedding. It was at this point that Mery brought up the venue hire fee, asking for USD 1000. This came as a shock to us, having received in writing that this fee was to be USD 250, and was the reason that we had chosen HPTD was our wedding venue. This began a confused discussion with Mery which ended when I pulled out my phone to show them the email I received stating the initially quoted amount. During this whole time, the owner’s wife didn’t say a word. My fiancée, an accountant, made it very clear that we were displeased and stated that if the original quote was not going to be honoured, then we would be cancelling the entire booking. As soon as we left HPTD, Annie, a business woman herself, also expressed her displeasure that the hire fee debate and made a call to the owners wife, demanding that they honour the original quote. The answer came back that they would hold to it, and we thought that this matter was resolved. We were wrong.

Upon returning to Australia a series of emails were traded between myself and Mery. We were increasingly frustrated as each email we received would be asking for more money from us for various reasons, in contradiction to the original agreement. We eventually had to put our foot down and threatened to go elsewhere if the original agreement wasn’t met.
Add to this the confusion over the exact number of rooms available for our guests. We were informed in December, 2010 that there was now 1 less 1 bedroom villa available. No explanation, just the information. 6 weeks prior to the wedding my MIL was informed that yet again the number of 1 bedroom villas was decreased. We were so confused that 3 weeks before the wedding my MIL again got them to confirm the exact number of 1 bedroom villas available just to be sure we now hadn’t overbooked the place. In reply to this last query, we were told by return email that there were 8 x 1 bedroom villas available.

Image our surprise when the last couple to check in for the wedding were put into an ex-spa room with ensuite, not a timber villa that we were shown in both June, 2010 and January, 2011.

In Bali

On the first day after arriving at HPTD, we, along with our friends, left the hotel in search of food leaving the air-conditioning on in our rooms so that they would be cool upon our return. As we were returning, I was approached by the owner Dom, who asked me to tell all of the guest to turn our air-conditioning off when we left the rooms. When I enquired as to why, he told me that it was to save money on the electricity. As I see it, electricity is part of what you are paying for when you stay somewhere. Apparently this is NOT the case.

Breakfast was a puzzling affair. There is a small, French inspired restaurant at the front of the hotel where our included breakfast was supplied; however the word ‘restaurant’ isn’t quite accurate on this occasion. ‘Restaurant’ implies choice and variety in meals. There were no menus. We were given a set meal of 2 bite sized pieces of bacon, a small chocolate or normal croissant (depending on the day; which kind, was not optional), eggs (fried, scrambled, also depending on the day), orange juice, tea or coffee.

We were also informed by Annie, our caterer for our reception and friend of the owners of HPTD that once the hotel was filled to capacity with our friends, she would implement a buffet breakfast for us. This was discussed in great detail with my MIL and in the presence of the owner, who also took part in the discussion as to how best to provide the buffet and where it should be set up each morning. They even went so far as to get my MIL to get me to bring over a jar of vegemite with me. Each day we went to breakfast thinking maybe to day was the day the buffet would begin. But alas, each day we were disappointed to find the same set meal waiting for us. Some of our friend gave up and chose to look elsewhere for a more wholesome fulfilling breakfast, even though breakfast was included in the cost of our accommodation, and to go elsewhere would be another out of pocket expense. It wasn’t till after the wedding that we discovered that the owner had changed his mind about the buffet and it was implied that he had decided he wasn’t going to cover the extra cost it would have been for him to ensure happy customers.

But what really disappoints me is that when we left to go on our honeymoon, and most of the guests left to explore the island, 3 of our friends stayed an extra night before their flight and low and behold, guess what they were offered to them at breakfast time? Menus. Choices. Options. The entire time we had booked out the entire hotel, we were given a set meal in order to eliminate hassle for the owners and their staff and to cut down on their costs. Needless to say, we were not pleased.

One of our guests was a beautician who was a fan of applying fake tan. Early on in our stay, she applied her tan before going to bed and when she got up, realised that some of it had transferred onto the sheets. She was not concerned as this had happened to her before, and she had been able to wash it out. Upon discovering this, the owner, Dom, demanded that she pay USD100 to pay for the sheets to be replaced. Apparently they were unable to wash it out, so she begrudgingly paid the amount. A day later as she and I were waiting out the front, Dom approached us and made a snide comment towards the girl, saying she was grumpy and asking ‘why she was so sad, its only $100’ in a condescending voice, knowing full well that she was unhappy with his handling of the tanning situation. His conduct towards her was unprofessional and deliberately rude.

Two nights before the wedding we held our hens and bucks night. The girls and boys went their separate ways and eventually meet up back at the hotel and into the pool, a bit intoxicated. There were some loud party goers in the group, and after a short time, I was able to herd them into the two bedroom villa pool that had a high wall, thinking that would help contain the noise.

One of the guests returned to the main pool to collect some towels. She had actually helped me to move the group to the more secluded area. Dom approached her, not the noise makers, and informed her that if the noise didn’t stop, he would call the police and would have us all kicked out. This was a huge contradiction to what we had originally been told at the first meeting that there was no curfew at the hotel because of it positioning, Once again it seems, we were misinformed.

Not all of our Dealing with Dom were bad. He did in fact help us out a lot wit the decorations. We required bamboo poles to hold some Balinese flags we had purchased. He organised the perchance and delivery of these flags as well as the assembly. We were fully prepared to also buy some stands so that the grass wasn’t damaged but he assured us that it was ok, and had one of the staff dig holes for the flags. He was a bit by-polar in the fact that he would go out of his way for some things, that he approved of, but on the other hand he was stubborn to our wishes and flatly refused our reasonable requests.

Our Wedding Day

Our wedding day went off (mostly) without a hitch. That was until the reception started. During the ceremony we had a band playing on one side of the bale closest to the grassy area where we had the ceremony. The reception was held on the other side of the bale, closest to the pool. Because of this we wished to move the band from one side to the other, to be closer to and facing the guests at all times. Dom was adamant that the band was not allowed to move, which would have resulted in them playing with their backs to the guests during the reception.

At about 11 the band packed up and the guests thinned out. The staff hired for the evening had almost everything packed up and were waiting around doing nothing. My MIL allowed them to leave. What remained to be done were a few glasses and bottles to be put away. The chairs were all stacked waiting to be picked up by the hire company. Dom felt that the staff were let off prematurely and should have stayed until everything was completely packed away. He then proceeded to have a go at my mother and father in law and my husband for letting the staff go home. It was explained to him that we would take care of the (little) remaining mess. We were completely baffled by his attitude and simply couldn’t understand why he was getting so worked up about thing that were not his problem and would be taken care of in due course.

Review of Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe

In summary of our dealings and experiences with Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe I would have to say that I would not stay there again under the current management and would not recommend it to anyone wishing to stay or hold a function there. It is a beautiful place but it is not worth the hassle involved with dealing with the owners and management. And considering that we paid a discounted price for our accommodation, what you get at full price, definitely is not worth the cost. For a cheaper cost, you can get somewhere closer to restaurants and shopping, and not have to walk 15 mins to reach these locations.

The hotel itself is beautiful and the rooms are fairly well equipped with a queen bed, TV cupboard, mini fridge and kettle. The bathrooms are quiet large with a shower and bathtub. The restaurant was a definite let down. There is so much room for improvement; however the owners seem more concerned with their costs, than the comfort of their guests.

I’m not sorry we had our wedding at Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe; but as it currently stands, we certainly won’t be going back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe? Share your experiences!