“Beautiful place to stay in Sanur” 5 of 5 stars

Starling Villas Bali
Save Saved
You added Starling Villas Bali to your Saves list
Starling Villas Bali
Gg.Jasmine Gg.Gardenia No.1 Jl.bumiayu, Sanur, Denpasar, Bali 0001, Indonesia (Formerly KUEI Condominium)   |
Ranked #44 of 65 Hotels in Sanur
Ukiah, California
“Beautiful place to stay in Sanur”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed here on and off for about 3 weeks when we were travelling in Bali last year - me, my husband, 3 yr old and 1 yr old. It is a wonderful place, lovely decor, stylish, great amenities, perfect for those with kids because of the kitchen area and also in the back streets of Sanur which we really liked as it was quieter. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and Hiroko the owner is so friendly, polite, professional and helpful. I would definitely recommend this place as great value for money and we hope to stay there again when we return to Bali in a couple of years on our way to australia to live! Next time we will definitely book ahead and stay for as long as our visa allows!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

We booked the Kuei for a family reunion and stayed 14 nights (3 apartments, 6 adults, 2 toddlers). The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help, even getting curtains made up for the dividing section of our room in only two days after we complained about the light. The apartments themselves are spacious and modern, and the cleaners did a great job every day. The shared courtyard is very pretty, and we were pleased with the decision to opt for breakfasts, which included fresh melon, eggs, bacon and sometimes strawberries.

On the downside, the building work all around the compound detracted from our stay. It was noisy and dusty, and made the walk to the beach road unpleasant and unsafe (especially with toddlers). The speed at which the building work was developing was impressive and may well be completed in 6 months' time but we regret that the current situation wasn't made clear to us at the time of booking. Bali has a problem with stray dogs, and we did sometimes find the packs of strays around the compound intimidating, especially walking home at night.

Families planning holidays with toddlers would need to keep them under constant supervision because of the open pool, and open gate (with dogs and building work outside). The staff were great with them though, and very tolerant of the mess and disruption.

Room Tip: 3 of the apartments have
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

My family stayed there for 9 nights, it was pleasant & value for money.

Before we went there I asked the owner if there was any microwave & washing machine in the room, she told me there wasn't but I could use the ones available in her staff room, and when I reached there, I was surprised to see a microwave already available in my room. Great job.

One of the staff (name Ketut) even helped us by becoming our driver for 3 days. Initially I was a little bit worried about hiring someone on the street, so I approached him if he knew anyone I could trust to drive us around Bali & he actually offered me his service at a very reasonable rate.

It would be good if the owner can put up a blind in the bathroom as some people may feel uncomfortable with those small holes on the bathroom windows.

The only drawback is the location is a bit out, pretty dark at night and you really need a good/bright torch light, however it was very safe, nobody disturbed us throughout our stay.

I would recommend this place for budget travellers, and definitely not for honeymooners.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Rooms are great and well designed. Only 6 units and each has a big bathroom, bedroom area, lounge and kichen, great if you want to cook for yourself. The staff are really nice however the pool area if tiny and you end of swimming in front of the staff which is abit offputting. Also if one other guest in the pool you have to wait your turn. The local of the hotel is not great, it is about a 10-15 walk to the main Sanur highstreet. The roads to get there are part dirt tracks and it would be advisible to get a car. Hardy's supermarket is close by but to get there you have to go down little lanes, lots of dogs and local shops which is interesting from a cultural point of view. However once it is nighttime walking back is very very dark and not really what you come to a beach resort for. The hotel is surrounded by high walls but there is a swap like area behind and I did worry about dengue a litle as there are lots of mossies about. Also the area near the hotel is used by the local gentlement to conduct their nightly cock fights, which again was not really what I came to Bali to see every night!! the noise of the birds fighting was a little horrid. An interesting choice but I would sadly not reccommend.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Nieuw Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

I stayed in Kuei Condominium for 2 weeks in March of this year. And as I was very happy with the quality, the ambiance and the service I decided to return a few months later and chose to stay for a month in July. This may well indicate how I value this place. It is a little gem of beauty and tranquility. I found the spacious apartment beautifully designed and ornamented as well as clean, the staff and the owner very hospital, helpful and kind. It was never a problem to refill the drinking-water tank albeit late in the evening nor to reset the dvd /tv-player or to help setting up the free wifi connection. It has a spacious bathroom next to your own private walled garden; an asset to enjoy. The place is set right behind the supermarket Hardys. Although a few minutes away (on foot) from the crowd and the noise of Jl. Danau Tamblingan you find this quiet, white haven of peace just next to an ample field where in the afternoon you can enjoy the children playing with their kites. By taxi it is easily reached from the well known Jl Pungutan. I stayed at many places in Bali but never got so much value for money.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Im a frequent traveller to bali, like 10-30time per year. so I tried most of every hotel there.

when I reach there, the boy asked me for all payment for 6nights, which I says" I havent change my money yet," the thing is I dont want to pay all in first because I dont know what kind of room they have, how clean it is, what if I want to move?

yes, it was horrible, the bed sheet it was too disgusting, it has blood stain, and the hot water? It was too cold to be true. they have a big window in the bathroom, and people can see you taking shower, or at least peek you. (I will upload the photo latter)

they also gave me welcome gift, and its amazingly wrapped with "hell bank note" if you know what it is, you wont be happy. its a Chinese paper that they used to burn it for the dead soul. I was stun for a few seconds. Im christian asian, my parents Buddhist, till today, she still burn that paper for my ancestors.

room condition, kitchen, its like its been years none staying there, the dust were thick, the plates and the utensils were totally dirty, and oily. my first night? was cleaning the whole room.

internet speed is great, tv programme also great.

I asked to change room in the morning since the hot water not working. they told me, every room is full. you need to stay here.

and I tell him, "ok then, I will moved out. its not a problem" and suddenly, he took his key and open one room and says, "which one you prefer?" full huh??

i met the owner, and I say hello and smile to her. they have a very ignorant owner, she didnt smile, she didnt look, and she didnt bother her guests, I asked the cleaner, "is she your boss?" and the cleaner says, "yes, she stays at seminyak."

so yeah, I moved to another room, and the guy didnt even bother to take my luggage and bring it to the new room, he just open the door, and sat down watching tv. and its not easy, since their room to room is a grass with a stone for the path.

when I went in to my room, the aircon is off, the elctricity is off. so I came to him, and told him he better get his as* finished whatever he need to finished with my room, before he sat down there. and finally he did it.

he mop the floor, pick the dirty mop, and pull a bed sheet and change my bed sheet. hygiene? forget it.

I told them, leave your new sheets on the bed, I will change it my self.

so.. for 600k pernight? I think there is still so much better hotel out there. 100sunset etc etc. forget kuei, its hard to get there as well.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Adelaide Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed 2 weeks at Kuei Condo on 2 separate occasions. Each time we were given transfers and welcomed on arrival by the owner and the staff.The apartment is one bedroom with king bed, a large bathroom with bath, shower, toilet and hand basin.There is a large sitting/dining area and a kitchen corner. That has 2 gas burners , fridge, filtered water dispenser and sink. The kitchen has equiment to cook a simple meal but you can borrow some extra utensils from the owners.. we just asked and all our wishes came true! The apartment is cleaned daily and thoroughly.There is a small private garden area behind each apartment. We got the price that included breakfast.. coffee, toast, corn flakes, omelette and sausage.The price also included bicycles.. a real pleasure in Sanur as there is a beach side cycle trail.Wifi internet was also incuded and that worked perfectly.There are 6 apartments surrounding a breakfast pavillion and small swimming pool.The staff are very polite but speak limited English, and always keen to help. Overall, comparing to other hotels and apartments, it is good quality. Be mindful that Bali is quite an expensive destination these days, so the price charged can't be beaten in this location. We were very glad we made the choice to stay there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Starling Villas Bali? Share your experiences!