“Close to beach, but rooms are dated” 2 of 5 stars

Semawang Beach Hotel
Jl. Pantai Cemara No: 3, Sanur, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #66 of 67 Hotels in Sanur
Leiden, The Netherlands
“Close to beach, but rooms are dated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Rooms and bathroom are dated and a bit smelly. Also, the room was very humid (even with AC). The room was also quite dark, there was just only one lightbulb at the ceiling. Shower is in the bathtub and the toiletseat was very low (we are young so we didn't mind). On the top floor is a little pool, no actual swimming but good enough for freshing up.

Breakfast is simple but okay. Staff is very friendly. There is also a book swap in the dining area. There is wifi in the hotel, but it only works in the common areas. Shops, restaurants and beach are close by, but I won't recommend this hotel to a friend.

We stayed here only for 1 night, because there is not much to do in Sanur, but you can arrange daytrips or activities.

• Stayed July 2013

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I did not feel safe staying in this motel. It was dirty and gross. My bed sheets had blood stains on them and the mattress had a hole in the middle. Because of this, I would wake up and my foot would be through the mattress. Housekeeping did not actually clean the rooms...they just made the beds. I walked into my room while they were "cleaning" to find them snooping through my suitcase. Luckily, nothing was missing but after that I had to take all of my personal belongings with me anytime I left the room. The bathroom was not any better. I walked in to find clumps of hair and used band aids on the floor. The shower was small and the hose was very short. I had to shower on my knees. There were 2 settings for the temperature of the water. Hot and scolding hot. Overall, I would not recommend staying at this hotel. There is a large amount of nicer hotels within a block of this one.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
falcon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

A good budget hotel with no frills but reasonable amenities and great location. Staff and management are polite; breakfast is simple. Use the upstairs rooms!! Pool is on the top floor; small but good;

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is one of the least expensive hotels in Sanur. It's far from perfect but for what you pay it's great. Rooms are fine (particularly for backpackers), hot water, clean linen, staff that are always cleaning the place as well. There's also a pool on the top floor, great fun for a 5am drunken swim!

For those backpacking you'll likely be using Perama travel (I did) but this is a hell of a walk from there, at least a mile and almost certainly more

I'd go again though, good food near here and a nice 'Irish' Pub over the road.

N.B. It doesn't look great from the outside as it's down an alleyway, rest assured it's safe though.

Room Tip: I'd go for the second floor if possible. As you're away from reception on the ground floor a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
falcon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Recently stayed for a few nights at this establishment which is close to the beach and adjacent to shops and cafes.I had read all reviews regarding this hotel and i feel that people are expecting far too much for their money> The going rate for an A/C room on the first floor was rp250,000 which included an adequate breakfast (continental or indo).I found the staff and management very polite and attentive; the rooms of a good size; the A/C very good; bathrooms a little dated but still in good working condition with adequate water; the location is just great. It does not present well from the outside but be pleasantly surprised and have a good look before you judge. It is not 5 star but it is great value for money !

Room Tip: ground floor.. fan rooms; 1st floor a/c rooms/ second floor same as first but closer to pool and a l...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Cologne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Although I already knew from the reviews that this place will be very basic, I was worse than that. I thought it would be at least clean, but it smelled very bad and the bad was the opposite of that. As well as the "bathroom" if you want to called like that. breakfast is very basic but okay for that price.

I would definitely not go there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Tugun, Queensland, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Although I had no high expectations of this place, and really wanted it as simply 'somewhere to sleep' we only stayed at Semawang for 3 nights of the booked 10. Firstly, our prebooked airport transfer did not arrive to collect us at 12.30pm, so we got a cab. We were shown our room and the room did not have curtains which we had to organise before going to sleep and also a fridge we requested was not there. This was organised 2 days later (the day we moved accommodations)

The rooms were old and run down (to be expected) with very low budget and hard beds.

We were kept awake by the air con on all 3 nights and infested wtih mosquitos on night 3 which was the end of our stay at Semawang after 3 sleepless nights. We moved up the road to a place called Abian Kokoro (Where the Sumo Japanese restaurant is) which was approx $6.00 a night more expensive and brand new.

I personally would not stay back at Semawang, however it is cheap and conveniently located for those travelling on a budget and don't mind 'roughing it' somewhat.

Although I have focussed on the negatives,most of the staff were very lovely and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Semawang Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!