“Four Sanur stars” 4 of 5 stars

62 361 289.410
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 276 Restaurants in Sanur
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Perth, Australia
“Four Sanur stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

This was our second visit after coming last year.

Now I was a little underwhelmed last year since we were seeking something "special". This year I had a change of selection from the confit duck, and now tried the Balinese salad for entrée and the duck breast for mains.

The salad was wonderfully tasty, with beautiful julienne papaya and chicken shreds. The Balinese duck was enjoyable and authentic.

Service up to par and was not so intrusive as our previous visit. We enjoyed a BYO wine which enhanced the night 8-).

By Sanur standards it is worthy of four stars and worth a visit. Enjoyable.

Cheers

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Denpasar, Indonesia
“Place perfect, portions poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I tend to agree with previous reviews on Kayu Manis. On the positive side, the ambiance was fine with. good lighting, an air conditioned area, well spaced out seating and a visual glassed in kitchen. We thought the service good with attentive staff and the chef is always nearby. But on the negative side, the food portions and the table settings leave a lot to be desired. The dishes we ordered, however, were enjoyable and well presented.
But. As has been expressed before, the food and especially the value for money lets the place down. The feeling is of a Nouvelle cuisine approach with a shorter menu and smaller portions.
I had the stuffed chicken thighs, which, although nice, almost appeared as an hors d'oeuvres.
My wife felt the same about her selection. We were still hungry when we left. Certainly the value for money compared to most other restaurants in Sanur was not good.
Finally, the worst item was the plates. Again, trying to be upmarket they use a square dinner plates with high crimped sides. Try putting your knife/fork down to have a drink and they slide into the food every time. The choice is either to jam the points into the food to stop them slipping or wipe the handles every time!
Overall,I felt that, although a 'high class' establishment, it should not be of such a high rating amongst its peers.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Woodmere, New York
“Only Average, not deserving of top ranking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Food and ambiance were only average, and service was surprisingly with flaws. The fish was not fresh, despite Sanur being on the water. We had five dinners in Sanur and Kayu Manis would rate on the bottom. Agree with several other reviewers that it is shocking that this restaurant was rankded number 1 in Sanur. Many others are much better.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide
“What a surprise - We'll be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We've been coming to Bali (Sanur) for 20+ years and it never ceases to throw up a surprise.

We were debating about where to go for our next meal in Sanur. We were thinking the Fire Station after a casual chat with someone in Luhtu's Cafe + reading good reviews on Tripadvisor. Then someone in another Cafe mentioned Kayu Manis and as it was close to where we were staying we thought we'd give it a go! So off we went not knowing what to expect because you're often told places are great only to be disappointed.

You'll find Kayu Manis just off the main street of Sanur (Jl Pantai Sindu) it's easy to find once you know so don't be frightened to look for it. If you're not sure just ask a local they'll point you in the right direction (most times anyway)

We were warmly welcomed and asked if we would like to be seated in the main area or the air-conditioned room. We'd not been before and chose the aircon as it was a very warm night. However, once seated we changed our mind as it felt a little sterile and lacked a bit of atmosphere. So we moved to the main area. At least you have the choice should you want to feel cool.

I ordered the prawn, coconut and papaya salad for entrée and it was very tasty and most enjoyable. 2 large prawns (you'll need to shell them and remember to take scrape away the poop tube) and a beautiful coconut and papaya salad which was thankfully not over done with dressing. It was perfectly balanced and a great start to the meal.

This was followed by the roast duck, creamy polenta, veg + beautiful sauce for my main. Now, I've been disappointed when I've ordered duck in Australia often it looks great but sadly lacking in the flavour department. Maybe I've been unlucky but I wanted to see what the Balinese could do with it. WOW....it was probably one of the best dishes I've ever eaten in Bali. The duck was cooked to perfection and the entire dish was perfectly balanced. Mixing the duck, sauce and the creamy polenta together was truly delicious and had my taste buds wanting more. It was a huge and most welcome surprise giving me yet another WOW moment beating the already great tasting starter. Why hadn't I been hear before?

I finished the meal with sticky rice and creamy coconut pudding. It was very nice but I'd say was the weaker of the 3 dishes. Maybe I was expecting more after the other 2 exceptional dishes.

Over all it was a very nice and a most enjoyable meal. The service was great the food was wonderful and the price a mere $50.00 for a 3 course meal for two (+ 4 fruit juice drinks) which is exceptional value compared to what you would pay for meal in Australia of similar quality.

I can only review what my meal & service was like on the night and it was all very, very good. What I do know is that I'm pleased I found this restaurant with a week still to spend in Bali as I'll be going back again. I don't know if I should try something else or order the same again because my mouth is watering by merely writing this review. I strongly recommend you give it a go because you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Enjoy!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sanur, Indonesia
“One of my favorites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

One of my favorite restaurants in Sanur. Good food for a reasonable price. Personal attention of the cook. Nice ambiance. Place to go back to.

Visited February 2014