“good value for a good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vila Shanti Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Vila Shanti Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Vila Shanti Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl Danau Tamblingan 47, Sanur, Denpasar, Bali 80001, Indonesia   |
Ranked #44 of 63 hotels in Sanur
Melbourne, Australia
“good value for a good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

it's quite, well located and budget.
foods are good, breakfast is not buffet (you have to order what you want) and staffs are OK.

Room Tip: good for last minutes.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

I read a number of mixed reviews about this hotel before finally deciding to stay there. What follows is my experience and my opinion.

As another reviewer has mentioned you cannot book directly through the hotel. Their website link to a company Bali Go Tours. They require 100% upfront payment - to be paid on the day you book. They also have - as I found out later - a 100% no refund policy if you are not happy with the hotel. When I decided to cut-my losses and checkout of the hotel 5 days early, the hotel confirmed that there is a no refund policy. This is not a reason to not stay there, but if you are not a return customer who is familiar with the standard of rooms and in particular the standard of service at this hotel - and from other reviews I know there are people who are return guests and love the VS - just be aware of the no refund policy.

In terms of the hotel itself, the rooms are very dated and furnishings pretty basic. The room I stayed in had 2 very small windows covered by traditional wooden shutters. If you want privacy the trade-off was you had no natural light and needed to turn the lights on in the room during the day. The rooms have a bar fridge, and the bathroom while dated was clean.

I was a bit disappointed with the room, but the main reason that I only stayed 1 night, and therefore forfeited the pre-paid cost of accommodation for the following 4 nights, was due to the staff. The restaurant staff, in particular the waitress and the cook preparing the eggs were rude and disinterested in assisting guests. Some tables had no cutlery or "missing" cutlery and the staff were disinterested in re-setting the tables. Self service was taken to a new level. The man cooking the eggs to order, was just plain rude to me. Anyway, I walked away from breakfast wondering whether I wanted to stay in such an unfriendly place for my last week in Bali.

I did speak with the front desk manager about the staff at the restaurant at breakfast, and she was very apologetic and seemed genuinely unhappy that the staff were behaving in that manner. So I have no complaints or negative comments about the management of the hotel at all. But at the end of the day it came down to a choice as to the environment in which I spent the last day of my holiday, and that decision was to move to another hotel where the staff were friendly and helpful.

One final comment - I contacted Bali Go Tours twice to explain the situation. The first time to ask if I could transfer to another hotel ( which had been possible when we had booked through another travel company on a previous trip to Bali). I had no response from BGT. After I found another hotel I sent BGT a second email advising them that I was checking out of the VS and their response was to send me a copy of their "no refund policy". That was the only contact I had from BGT. I would not book through BGT again. Vila Shanti was the only hotel during a month holiday in Bali that required 100% upfront payment - I guess there is a lesson there.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Vila Shanti - 1 l in Vila - is your typical 3 star balinese hotel when it comes to the accomodation: that is the quality of the rooms. However, what separates Vila Shanti from many others is it's location. Located right on the beach the hotel has it's own sun lounges feet from the beach entrance to the hotel. The entry from Jl. Danau Tamblingan is among some great restaurants and shops and only about a 5 minute walk to Hardy's.
Breakfast, included in the price, is a basic American breakfast consisting of eggs of your choice, bacon, corn, noodles, rice and a selection of tropical fruit. More than adequate.
The rooms are clean and basic,all with a.c.. Housekeeping is done daily with sheets and towels changed daily. Also, a nice little touch is that sealed bottled water is given daily to each guest.
The Griya Santrian is directly next door and having stayed at both Griya and now Shanti I cannot justify in spending an extra $US 70 - 80 a night to stay in Griya Santrian unless you intend spending ALL your stay in the hotel room.
We have already booked and paid for another 4 week stay at Vila Shanti next June 2011.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my two children aged 8 and 10 and other family and friends for a short stay in mid December. I would rate this hotel extremely highly for its price. The location is unbeatable. It is right on the beach beside Griya Santrian and there is easy access for transport, restaurants and shopping - as well as the unforgetable views. The rooms were large, very clean and comfortable and were equipped with a fridge and television. They also had a very roomy balcony with comfortable chairs. We stayed in a deluxe/superior room which worked out to just over A$75 for a triple per night. As per earlier posts on this hotel, I believe the standard rooms are a good option as well, being close to the pool and having larger windows for more natural light. The room tariff included breakfast. Breakfast was fairly standard Bali hotel fare, with tea and coffee, eggs cooked just as you like them, bacon, a fruit selection and as much toast (toasted by guests) and danish pastries as you like. There was also an Indonesian breakfast choice. The gardens were not the best that I have seen in Bali but were still quiet and relaxing and full of wildlife which kept the kids (and I) entertained for hours. The pool and restaurant are beside the beach and are both large and inviting. The staff are very friendly, honest and keen to make your stay a comfortable and pleasant one. The only negative worth mentioning is the fact that some of the hotel rooms near the pool were undergoing renovations when we were staying at the hotel and it could be quite noisy at times. This will not impact on future visits, and will mean we have some newly renovated rooms near the pool to look forward to!

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

Stay very comfortable. Rooms spotless, good size, king size bed, dresser, table chairs, tv, fridge, air con, wardrobe, shower in bath, fresh linen and bottled water daily, nice outdoor setting each room. Gardens improving. Pool area good. Breakfast adequate juice, fruit, tea coffee, cooked eggs or pancakes, ample. The dining area has a great outlook over the water. Beachfront quiet location. Stayed 10 days wanted to stay another 10 days.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Perth western australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

We were starting our 3 week stay in Bali with 2 nights in Sanur.Having stayed at Santrian Griya (next door)last time we wanted something on the beach but not with the price tag.Vila Shanti is right next door and directly on the beach.We arrived after midnight and were collected from the airport with free transfers from the hotel.We were quickly shown to our rooms.We had requested ground floor rooms for the three parties but were only given one.Not a big drama but the hotel was not full and we could have been accomodated.The rooms were clean and spacious and met our needs.The pool was fabulous and the kids loved it.The water was quite warm and in view of the beach.Sunrise was a blissful time on the beach or on one of the pagodas on the beach.Breakfast was provided but very basic.You cooked your own toast and there was a small plate of 2 fruits to choose from.You could choose eggs of your choice and a small piece of bacon.Indonesian breakfast was also available.Im not a big breakfast person so it was Ok for me but if you like your breakfast maybe eat out of the hotel.Breakfasts are so cheap in any of the beachside cafes anyway.
There was no Wifi available in the hotel so we had to wander the beach to find a hotspot.There was work going on with the renovations but they never interfered with us as we were out of the hotel by 9am anyway.The gardens leave alot to be desired.They are run down and not very enticing.Grotty statues with scaffolding around them.The big plus of this hotel is its location.It is walking distance to the Sindu Beach Markets where we spend most of our time anyway with our local friends.Bennos cafe being our favourite.The rooms were $62US for a deluxe but I think next time if we stayed we would take a standard ground floor room near the pool.You cant pay the hotel directly and have to wait for the gentleman from the tour company with his mobile credit card facilities to pay.Staff were great, especially the ladies at the front desk.I would not recommend this place for a weeks stay or a romantic holiday.There are so many other better places to stay but for our purposes which was a quick port of call before we travelled the East Coast, it was perfect.I would use it again but only for a short stay.Looking forward to seeing it after the renovations are completed.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

I reviewed this hotel in September and again now after our stay in December 2009. We had 2 standard rooms for my family and our friend had a superior room. The hotel is nearing the completion of scheduled renovations of 2 blocks of standard rooms but we were not inconvenienced by this at all. Noise was kept to a minimum and it was interesting to see the progress. I managed to look inside one of the 'new' rooms and the results were very good. New lights, ceiling and walls, bathroom renovation (the bathtub has been removed) and there is a new good sized shower and vanity. The upstairs rooms have a new railing on the balcony and timber has been re stained where necessary. There is also new tiling on patios, steps and other various areas. I asked if the other standard rooms were to be refurbished but the answer was 'not at this stage'. The person I asked did not know if TV's or any other facilities were to be added to the 'new' rooms. The other major work is the complete replacement of the pavers in the central courtyard and a lot of the garden has been cleared to make way for this but the gardener was busy re planting grass and other plants. The water feature was also re painted. As for the rooms we stayed in although they are a bit dated and could do with a bit of a facelift they were clean, large and comfortable. The standard rooms are larger than the superior and have bigger windows to allow for more natural light. The air con worked well in the two standard rooms we had (number 6 & 7) but not so well in room number 2 the superior room. All rooms have a small fridge, none have tea and coffee making facilities and there is only a TV in the superior room. Bed linen and towels are replaced each day and two bottles of water are left in the room free of charge. The restaurant serves the usual choice of eggs any style, bacon, pancake, tea and coffee and juice for breakfast and you can also help yourself to fresh fruit, toast and a few pastries. Some mornings there is also two men playing gamelan at the restaurant. We did try the restaurant for lunch one day but found the food we chose rather basic yet fresh. Room service is also offered. The pool was kept clean and there are sun loungers available both here and on the beach front. There is free wifi at the restaurant. Vila Shanti has an excellent beach front location. It is not easy to get a beach front hotel in Sanur for this price. There are plenty of great restaurants and shops all walking distance. If you are after a good budget priced beach front hotel then this place is worth considering.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Vila Shanti Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!