“Great rooms, don't know what everyone's complaining about!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel

You added Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Raya Kalibukbuk | Lovina, Singaraja, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Singaraja
Sydney, Australia
“Great rooms, don't know what everyone's complaining about!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I nearly didn't stay in this hotel because of all the reviews on this site.

Firstly I'd like to say, yes the poor dolphins are in captivity and it is sad that they are not in there natural habitat, but then you must realize that these 3 dolphins have actually been rescued from a cruel animal show where they were severely mistreated. They have now been rehabilitated to good health and as far as I know a dolphin can not be returned to the ocean once living in captivity so what they have now is loving environment with caring trainers and are well looked after. No one seems to car about lions in a zoo or birds in an aviary, so what's the difference.

Now as for the hotel, I am extremely fussy. Like ridiculously fussy. But I looked on the website photo gallery and seen some of the rooms looked nice. So I took the gamble. My friends who weren't as brave because of the reviews on this site backed out at the last minute and choose a nearby hotel.

I felt sick in the stomach the whole 3 hour trip up to Lovina about what the hotel was going to be like but it was great. We were pleasantly surprised. We booked a presidential suite which is $110 a night. Very cheap for a family of 5. So maybe all the other complaints were about the cheapest rooms you can get. But hey what can you expect for $60 a night. I mean really if your going to pay so little then your going to get rubbish.

I've attached photo's of our room. it was huge. We have 3 children and they slept in their own room. We had our own room too and then there was a dining room, kitchen and massive bathroom with a spa. Our room looked out onto 1 of the dolphin pools and sometimes in the evening you could hear the dolphins swimming and splashing about. it was beautiful.

Everything was very clean. The towels were all different colours and quite thin but they were clean. We had a proper bath mat too, not sure what that over review about the bath mat was for.

We looked in quite a number of other suites as they open them up everyday for cleaning and airing if they are empty. It was really good cause you could walk in and check them all out. And they were all nice. I got a glimpse of a standard room and it didn't look too crash hot, but as I said before, for $60 you can't expect something nice.

Our friends who didn't end up staying here loved the rooms too. We got the kids club for free and the kids enjoyed it as they had lots of toys to play with. I don't think they conduct any activities tho.

The breakfast was not very good. But all the staff in restaurant were so nice and eager to get us any extra's we wanted. The breakfast consisted of freshly made omelette's, cold pancakes, watermelon and pineapple (I was put off by the flies that kept landing on them tho) toast and some dodgey looking nasi and noodle dishes.

Dinner one night was great, but the next night not good at all. I think because we were there in their quiet season, and we rocked up about 8pm for dinner and they didn't have anything prepared as they weren't expecting anyone.

I met the owner of the hotel who seemed nice. He gave us free pony ride for the kids which they loved.

You can't use the playground any more as some of the animals now wander in that section, which was a bit disappointing.

Our massages in the hotel were only 70,000 rup for 1 hour, and they were the best massages we had for our entire bali stay of 3 weeks.

We only stayed 3 nights in Lovina and that was enough. nothing really much to do there. The beaches are horrible. You can see the sewer drains going out into the water. would never swim there.

I'm glad I did the swim with the dolphins as it's a very unique and privileged experience but it wasn't as nice as I thought it would be. The dolphin was very strong and it was a little intimidating having this big strong creature coming up to you quickly and rolling on you and twisting you around. Also he had his penis out most of the time and would try to hook it onto your leg. If however you want to pay double the price, you can swim with the calmer dolphins in the therapy pool. this is what my friend opted to do after she heard about our experience and her kids loved it. It was nice and calm. We paid about 830,000 rup for a family of 4. which is quite cheap when you consider everywhere else in the world is $200 odd for 1 person. this worked out to $100 Aussie dollars for 4. And my friend paid i think about $170 for the therapy dolphins for 2 people and it included free pony rides too.

If you can't afford to swim with the dolphins you can always pay 25,000 rup and after the dolphin show (3 times a day) which is about $3 aussie, to pat the dolhpin's and feed them. we did this first and it was great to feel these magnificent creatures.

All up I loved the hotel. I would only recommend the suites tho. The grounds were lovely and the staff great. The poolside bar and restaurant were both new and they are in the middle of building a new massage room too. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010 via mobile

We stayed for a night there and we expected more from the price we paid.
We were a family of 8 with 3 young children. First nite we reached there, we were led to our room along a dark pathway. They need more lightning along the pathway for safety reason.

When we entered our room (we booked 4 suite rooms), our first impression was the room pretty small. And we checked our bathroom, we saw the towels quite dirty with some stain on it. The water pressure for the shower not strong enough, really small. And the corner of the shower area very dirty. After we bathed we couldn't find any mat to dry our feet, just a spiky plastic mat that poked through.

We headed for dinner at Melka restaurant and we expected a good dinner as all of us were tired from the long journey. We had to wait for long for the dinner to be served. The pasta we ordered taste weird and the soto ayam was tasteless. The safest food to order was their nasi goreng. When we ordered our drinks, they gave us wrong drinks.

The nite get worse with a lot of mosquito but it was settled as we requested an electronic mosquito repellent and we asked for extra bed and the extra bed was really hard.

Morning came and we expected a good breakfast buffet. But our breakfast buffet was disaster. Couldn't find any meal that's tasty or delicious. Really disappointed with the food they served there.

We went to watch the dolphin show and the kids quite like it. We wanted the kids to experience a swim with the dolphin. When I asked for the price my jaws dropped. It was so expensive, Rp400.000 for adult and Rp200.000 for kid. We agreed to the price thought it gonna be fun but end up we just floated around the small swimming pool with the dolphin. My heart brake remembering the price we paid for a floating experience and to see the dolphins in a small pool. They need bigger pool to jump around and swim.

The only thing that made our stay was the swimming pool. At least the kids love it there.
It was really an unforgettable nite at Melka. We will not be back again.

• Stayed September 2010
jakarta, indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

this is a horrible hotel! it is a disgrace to mother earth. who ever made the idea of putting dolphins in a tiny pool is screwed up in the head! i went and saw the dolphins, and those animals are one of the most intelligent animals in the world and looking into their eyes was just painful, i could see the sadness and depression. there are 3 beautiful dolphins kept in separately in different pools and don't have contact with the other dolphins, dolphins are not solitary animals so they should be aloud to be in contact with other dolphins as much as possible. the dolphins should be let back into the place they belong not in small pools. i would never go back to melka ever again unless i was going to release the poor dolphins.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
London, UK / Paris, Fr
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We stayed there one night. The room was good and it was fun to be able to have a walk within the hotel's premisses as if you were in a mini zoo.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

I've never had a worse experience. The hotel staff stole 700,000 Rupiah from my friend and my 150$ sunglasses and there was no sort of compensation. What's worse is that the hotel was apathetic to our claim. They got the marketing manager (we had to demand to phone the general manager, who then just hung up on us) who did absolutely nothing. We had to file a claim with the police. By the 4th hour of dealing with the issue we dropped it. I hope you never stay here. The staff is pathetic and the customer service is poor.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

When i checked into my room, the floor was wet and the toilet stink! Pathway wasn't provided with lights so I have to walk in dark. Even my balcony was in the dark.
The breakfast was horrible! They only provide you with soup, white rice, fried rice, fried noodle, vege, bread, eggs and 3 kind of fruits! That's all. Any picky eater like me will face problem!
There's no phone provided! Wake up call? Knock on the door. Make things worse, if you're a morning person who wants to take a nice warm bath, too bad! No hot water.
The location sucks! If u want to walk out during the night to the convenient store, it takes about 15 minutes. There's nothing much you can do in this hotel.
The only good thing about this place is the dolphins. You can swim with the dolphins but costly. The dolphin show was alright. I've seen better ones.
I don't see why people want to go to this hotel. It's a mistake. Stay away from this hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

We had planned to stay at Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel for new years eve of 2009. But after two nights there we could not stand it any longer and just the idea of celebrating the beginning of a new year and our 10 year anniversary made us sad. I have to admit though that the kids (3 and 5 years old) liked the ”dolphin hotel” and they where sad to leave.
Melka Excelsior could be such a great place - with the right staff and management. It is big, nicely planned and has different types of rooms which are really affordable. They have a great pool with a bar (always out of pool towels), a kids pool and three pools with dolphines. The dolphine area is gated and requires admission, also non-hotel guests are welcome to come for a swim with the dolphines.
The dolphine therapy section is the only working and well maintaned area at the hotel and the staff really care about the visitors and more importantly, about the animals. Also the other compounds with animals seem to be quite well taken care of.
At a first glance the hotel seemed quite alright, we got what we payed for. But when we started to look around – horrible. Two of the ”public” toilets were so filthy I have to wonder if they ever have been cleaned. The staff was very unskilled and useless. The food was barely ok and breakfast was only congee, fried rice and white toast. Oh, they did have an eggstation but the guy couldn’t keep track of the orders and when he dropped the spatula on the floor he simply picked it up and continued :-P They have a big nice kids club, but with unconvenient opening hours. The outdoor playground was not accesable since it was in the middle of an animal compound and never ”open”. The spa (massages and beauty treatments) felt more like a teenage girls room where she has fun with her friends. Melka has a guard at the main entrance but then the ”back door/gate” facing a rougher neighborhood was constantly left open and unguarded.
We stayed one night in a standard room (really boring, no towels and a crooked door which was hard to open/close. But also one night in the presidential suite. This was quite nice with kitchen and a huge bath tub. No comfortable sitting area though.
People with specific diets (allergies, intolerances etc) will have a hard time finding something to eat – our son is gluten intolerant and he ate rice, eggs and watermelon for a couple of days ☹
The city Lovina has not much to offer but we did like some of the restaurants with good seafood and the dolphine watch tour early in the morning. The road from Denpasar is very winding and it took us 3-4 hours of up and down the mountain.
Melka Exelsior is ok for a night or two, if you are interested in the northern part of Bali, it is cheap and you get what you pay for. Even though we really enjoyed the beautiful dolphines, we will never go back nor recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!