“Swimming with Dolphins” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel

Save Saved
You added Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Raya Kalibukbuk | Lovina, Singaraja, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Singaraja
Angaston
“Swimming with Dolphins”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We did a day tour from Sanur which brought us to this hotel for swimming with the dolphins and lunch only so this review does not pertain to any aspects of the actual quality of the accommodation (which may be fortunate according to many of the other recent reviews). The swimming was well organised and we were looked after by friendly staff and had a ball with dolphins swimming past us, being fed by us, towing us around the pool, kissing us and shaking our hands. Be aware that the pool is deep and you have to be able to be able to tread water - fortunately lifejackets are supplied. The staff even take photos of you on your camera along with supplying a souvenir Diploma of Dolphin swimming with a couple of photos included in the cover charge. After a complimentary fruit juice we had a very bland lunch, al be it in a pleasant setting and this dragged this review down from excellent to very good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We arrived with my family from a lovely guest house around Ubud and Melka was such a let down. Facilities are tired, rooms are smelly and food is below average. The highlight of the stay was swimming with the dolphins and the extremely friendly and helpfull staff. Would I go back? Unfortunately not. You can find much better for cheaper price in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Geelong, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We booked into our Presidential Suite after 3hr drive from Sanur.
The room is huge. The bathroom is as big as most hotel rooms if not bigger.
The staff were quit helpful we we made ourselves understood.
Breakfast was ok not great but it filled a hole.
Restaurant food was good on a whole.
We tended to eat out when staying around the resort.
Free wifi in restaurant. Internet cafe 100 meters away from front gate.
I would recommend this hotel for the price. It's not 5 star but good for the price.

Room Tip: We paid extra for presidential suite. Well worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

$us70 per night for a "De-Luxe" room that had no phone, (the in-room book stated you could order room service. I'm not sure how as they didn't even give us a tin can & string.) There also was no refrigerator. Reception was extremely dark. The food was dreadful. They couldn't even cook Indonesian food properly let alone anything else. The Zoo was appalling with badly kept cages & amenities. The dolphin show was ok. Swimming with the dolphins was great but not quite what I expected. The only good thing I can say about the place was the staff were friendly & helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Tauranga, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Read a lot reviews bout this hotel but I would say it was alright with the price you are paying.
Stay there for a night on January and it was OK experience.
I stayed in room 31 Deluxe room, the room is quite spacious and the Dolphin show was good. The air conditional not working properly, the toilet had stinky smell and the bird in the mini zoo beside the room was noisy... Other than that, that was alright.
We had afternoon tea when we arrive ... food wasn't good but I like the Ginger tea! Breakfast wasn't good either. However, it is OK to stay for a night.

Room Tip: Room 31 Air Con was not working properly and the birds are noisy in the mini zoo. Dolphins are ado...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Paralimni, Cyprus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The only reason I stayed in this hotel was This was the only hotel that you could swim with the dolphin in the swimming pool. Before I had had no idea about this hotel at all. I booked this hotel thru the travel agent, and they choosed this hotel for me.

In the term of location, Lovina in general and this hotel specifically were out of nowhere. around 2.5 hour drive from the city centre (kuta and its surroundings). The only attractions of this area was the dolphins. That was it.

When I came to the hotel,and given the room key. I thought it was a very pleasant hotel.
It was surrounded by lush gardens, mini zoo and swimming pool with some touches of Bali exterior.

But, when I opened the door and entered the room. I found that this was the spoockiest room I have ever stayed in my entirely life until this time being. Let me describe it to you :

It was a huge bed rooms with a big antique still bed.
The room was equipped with many antique style old color big furniture.
Decorated with many goddess statues on the wall and on the table.
They had a very tall roofing with ceiling, so we can see many wooden bar above our heads.
The tile was dark red that give an impression of darkness.
And the worst thing is the lighting were very dim and very gloomy.
Seems we were staying with dracula castle with bad taste of design.
Not only that, they also provided another extra room, an isle like rooms, with the wall and tiles were all ceramic with the dark red color. Can you imagine that.
Also there were a reception/ foyer rooms with big working table like the table in the oval room white house with a very dark lighting.

In the term of room I stayed during the night, very unrecommended otherwise you are ready to dare yourself just like in the haunted house.

The swimming pools were good nice, clean and maintained.
I tried the spa treatment, the spa room and treatment were nice. And with very reasonable too for 1 hour full body treatment.

Breakfast not good. They didn't provide range of choices with quite a poor taste.

The mini zoo they were kept talking about it was not less that some common animals in the poor condition cage for display.

The location itself was isolated from anywhere. We had to walk in the darkness of evening to nowhere land to find something to eat. While asking the hotel staff the recommended place to eat outside the hotel was not helping either. At last we found (maybe the only one within 1mile radius) a place to eat.

The only thing that entertained us was the swimming with the dolphins for our children. It was fun and unforgettable memory for them within a very high price and short time (20 minutes) only.

Before you go to this place, just keep in your mind to minimize your expectation and prepare yourself.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tallinn, Estonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

It s very nice place to stay :) Swimming and feel the energy of dolphins :) Is an excellent hotel to stay with family :) I don't like to wright the negative comments,because its not my style :) I enjoyed my stay here very much :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!