“Perfectly fine” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kind Villa Bintang Resort & Spa

You added Kind Villa Bintang Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Kind Villa Bintang Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Pratama Street | PO Box 24, Tanjung Benoa, Nusa Dua, Bali 80363, Indonesia   |
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Perfectly fine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

This hotel is excellent value for the location - but not WOW.

The staff are brilliant, the spa was excellent and the rooms large.

The pool is large and well maintained.

However, everything looks just a little tired. Plus it is a "resort" hotel - not a small boutique number.

We upgraded to the suite - with a massive jacuzzi bath - which was lovely - and huge! However, although the place was spotless, the room looked like it could do with a little revamp.

Overall - this place is excellent value - good for families - but not quite there if you want luxury or a romantic get a way.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Malibu, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Is it the best beach resort I have ever been to? Of course not, but I certainly enjoyed my stay here and would come back. The staff is wonderful and I can't say enough nice things about "Rocky" who helped organize a private beach birthday dinner for our small party-he truly went out of his way to wow us! Luckily, I was able to stay in one of the villas. The furnishings are older but everything was clean and cool (once the air conditioning kicked in). The villa had an outdoor dining room, living room, separate kitchen and private spa-nice touches if you felt like laying low. The beach isn't very clean and there is a lot of exhaust from the boats so luckily it wasn't too crowded when I was visiting Bali so it wasn't really a "problem" for any of us. The Econia is a great place just a few store fronts from the hotel that offer great foot massages at a reasonable price. I personally didn't try the hotel spa services after hearing so-so reviews from fellow travelers during my stay. The breakfast at the hotel was very good...banana pancakes & fresh fruit juices, yum! The Tree and La Scala are nearby restaurants where we had great grilled seafood for dinner. At the pool bar, the mojitos and chicken satay were our favorites. There are also convenience stores everywhere so you can pick up water, soda, beer & snacks, if you want, to keep in your room. I brought plenty of insect repellent & glad I did because I definitely needed it at night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Perth WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We are regular Bali visitors. We booked Kinds Villa Bintang through Agoda which means you pay up front, no refunds. We don’t usually do that and on this occasion it was a bad decision. We booked for 4 nights and left after the first night.

We relied upon some of the Tripadviser comments which, although mixed, seemed to suggest reasonable accommodation. We have re-read some of the comments and realise we made a poor decision. It is not a boutique hotel. It has only two villas neither of which were available, two executive suites, and 48 standard rooms. We opted for one of the two executive suites.

It was a good size, with bedroom and lounge as expected, with a nice balcony. The room was clean. Furnishings are old. What more can I say. It was pretty average.

We know the area well and the location was fine.

On entering our suite our breath was taken away by the overpowering scented fragrance (my wife called it a fragrance, I called it a smell) emitted from the air-conditioners. It was like moving into a room occupied by heavy smokers, but it was an intense fragrance instead. It was just awful and we both felt ill. We asked for the discs to be removed but the smell had penetrated the rooms and our clothes within minutes.

A room attendant offered a different fragrance, but we wanted none. The next morning we had to stop the attendant from again inserting fragrance, but after we left the room he sprayed throughout the suite and made it unbearable. We could not stay in the room.

Upon our arrival the room was not quite ready and we had lunch at the restaurant. The meals were light and fine – a steak-burger and calamari. We had a light dinner that night and again the food was okay. But we arrived at about 9.45 am next morning for breakfast and although we had eggs and toast there was virtually nothing else left in the buffet – breakfast closed at 10.00am.

The bed was hard and the pillows like concrete. The shower head sprayed in all directions. We could not adjust it. Water flowed briefly and then stopped. It would start and stop - clearly a pressure problem.

That first night in Kinds Villa Bintang I developed an attack of “Bali-belly”, something I normally escape, and I don’t put any blame on Kinds for that. But when you are in the bathroom in the wee small hours in that condition, and to your dismay you discover that there is only a traditional bidet and no toilet paper, it comes as an illuminating surprise to an Australian. There was a box of 1-ply tissues for toilet use which were used swiftly, but that experience is not something I would wish on anyone else. No toilet paper – wow.

This report may sound critical but after about 30 visits to Bali we thought that was a fair summary. While some visitors may enjoy Kinds Villa Bintang we could not recommend it.

Room Tip: Check you room carefully before taking occupation.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Mudgee, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

The hotel rooms are of above average standards and the resort facilities (especially the pool) are great. Besides this the staff at Kind Villa are AMAZING!! They were more than happy to go above and beyond to assist us in anyway - making our stay extremely enjoyable. Would definately reccommend this resort.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

The staff were amazing. Friendly, helpful and went out of their way to get to know our names on the first day and then always addressed us by our names. The pool is fantastic, far nicer than any of the other pools we saw when walking up the beach. There is just something so great about siting in the pool at the bar drinking an ice cold drink! The rooms were a nice size. The furniture is a bit dated but it looked like they were revamping when we were there. Food at the restaurant no great so definately go out for a meal! Airport shuttle is cheaper than a taxi, so book it Pre and post holiday. Loved the place and would stay again :-)

• Stayed April 2012
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Given we had a 6am flight out of Bali upon our departure, we decided to stay somewhere near the airport. After reading some reviews and seeing prices in Seminyak and Sanur, we decided to head to the Nusa Dua side of the island. The area is not what you think of when you imagine authentic Balinese let's say, but it is a good spot to shop, eat and relax.

The hotel is in a good location with many restaurants, stores and shops around. There are cabs available at any time and most nice restaurants are within walking distance. It's a quick transfer from the airport, which makes an early morning flight more bearable!

The hotel and hotel grounds are very nice. Lush green grass, many beautiful flowers, plants and palm trees make up a very well kept garden.

The swimming pool is probably the best feature of the hotel. It's large, deep and has an excellent swim up bar. There is always someone available to make drinks for you, and I enjoyed spending time near the pool watching the watersports in the ocean and people walking by. You can see the ocean from the pool, which is nice. It can be noisy due to boats and such but that didn't bother me at all. The beach in front of the hotel is really not nice. At first glance it seems good, but when you look down over the little hill it's pretty dirty and not too inviting. The hotel really should consider cleaning this a little as other hotels further down the beach have much cleaner swimming areas. Pool chairs were comfortable and I found some were always available. Massage area was nice.

The rooms are spacious and the put two large beds together for us, making the biggest bed I have seen in my life. Beds were very comfortable, but only two pillows provided. I usually like a couple more pillows as I think it makes the bed look more luxurious, but not a huge deal. Old style TV was disappointing, flatscreens are not expensive now so they really should consider upgrading. Safe in the room, plenty of storage space and a fridge and 2 bottles of water provided daily. Bathroom had separate tub and shower. Water pressure and temperate were fine. Toilettries provided looked a little dated in cheap plastic bottles, but again not the end of the world. It seems now they only have Deluxe rooms available. There used to be Superior and Deluxe rooms, with Superior being less expensive, but they seem to just call all rooms Deluxe now and charge the Deluxe rate. I asked at reception and they claimed the rooms are exactly the same, but it seemed the ones on the other side of the hotel were different inside and out. I saw they've simply scratched the Superior name off the accomodation card at reception, so it makes me wonder if it's a way to charge more for Superior by claiming they are the same as Deluxe. In any case, our Superior-type room was fine for our needs and always clean. We had a package where welcome fruits, a 15 min free massage and afternoon tea was included in the rate. A great deal I thought. The massage was good and my husband decided to get another full massage and enjoyed it.

Contrary to some other reviewers, I thought the breakfast was great. A small-ish buffet including breads, fruits, sausage or bacon, local type food, with eggs/omelettes and banana pancakes to order. I thought the food was good, always hot and service was fine. The coffee was not exactly to my taste but I believe it was made the local way and I lived with it. I didn't eat at the hotel any other times as I found the food pricey. The breakfast area was near the pool with views over the water - lovely.

One note though, do NOT book the Turtle Island tour offered by people on the beach on front of the hotel. It is not the raise-and-release project they claim to be, but simply a zoo type place where they keep turtles and other animals in concrete holes with barely any water. There is a real Turtle Island sanctuary near Sanur and you must travel there by car. I wish the hotel would warn the guests of this fact, we learned the hard way so just want to pass on the note to others.

Overall I thought the hotel was nice. Staff were friendly, there are many places to eat around and not so much traffic near the beach. I would not stay again simply because next time I go to Bali I want to experience the cultural side and will stay more near the center of the island. The hotel itself is fine though, so would recommend to someone who wants a nice pool and spacious rooms. Free wi-fi in hotel was a perk and usually worked well.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We stayed here in July last year. Was a beautiful hotel surrounded by good restaurants. Only disappointment was the beach was very very dirty. Went once and was so horrified we sat at the pool the rest of the time. Service and rooms very very good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Kind Villa Bintang Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!