“Zen on a Stick” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bale

You added The Bale to your Saves list
The Bale
5.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Jl. Raya Nusa Dua Selatan, Nusa Dua, Bali 80363, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
4D/3N GOLF PACKAGE
Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chonburi
“Zen on a Stick”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

Certainly the most Zen boutique hotel we've ever has the pleasue to stay at
Considering the hotel must be in its 8 year of operation the architecture and the maintenace would make you think it only opened recently

All staff and the very affable GM, Mr Jose are the best of the best.
The breakfast was a fine dining treat - very sharp - end cuisine

Not a resort for those on a tight budget - but worth every Rupia in our opinion

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

We booked the honeymoon package at the Bale on the recommendation of our best friends. It was magnificent beyond all expectation, and our expectations were very high. The spa experience (hot stone massage, exotic fruit scrub) was the best spa treatment of our lives, and the hotel staff was incredibly attentive to our every need. The villa itself was equipped with an outdoor and indoor shower, a gorgeous private pool, a day bed, and every amenity you can possibly imagine. Given the price we paid, we were expecting something quite amazing, and they still managed to blow us away at every opportunity. We'll be back for our 10 year anniversary.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Mestre, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

we couldn't ask more from our vacation, the service was excellent, we had the room 33, the privet villa with a privet pool, the restaurant was very good also!

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I can only echo what has been written on here countless times. My wife and I honeymooned here in November 2009. We had a double pavilion (the other villa being empty) with a fantastic view.

The resort itself is wonderfully designed, quite modern but in keeping with the surrounding environment. It evokes a fantastic atmosphere during your stay and helps to keep you in a holiday mood.

The villa itself was fabulous. The photos really don't do it justice. The outside shower is a nice touch, it's not a shower head, more a river of water you stand under. The pool was (comparatively) huge for two people and kept spotlessly clean.

The array of breakfast options impressed us, as did the quality of the food. As we were on honeymoon, we had room service on a few evenings and it was never less than outstanding.

The beach club is two minutes by car. The private area is small but nice, the attendants were friendly and, well, attentive.

Nusa Dua itself is stunning. We explored the local area a bit. The local shopping area is a bit more catered for tourists with chain restaurants, but it still has a nice ambiance at night.

Finally, the service. The Bale would still be a good resort with average service, but as it is, the service we had was exceptional. Totally outstanding in every way and made the not insignificant amount we paid for the stay seem totally worth it.

So, the downsides. For me there was only one. Mosquitos. The girl on the front desk said that it always seems that only one person in a couple will get bitten. How true. Sadly for me, I was lunch most evenings. The mosquito net helped though and I learned to stop being such a wimp eventually.

We will DEFINITELY be back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I can't rave enough about The Bale. An absolutely incredible hotel, run by fantastic staff. The hotel itself is sleek, stylish and the ultimate retreat for honeymooning couples - we hardly left our oversized villa and private pool! My husband and I enjoyed the honeymoon package with a wonderful spa treatment as well as a candlelight dinner. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Previous to visiting Bali, I had done extensive research about the various resorts and hotels and had very high expectations of The Bale when I booked it. However, after my 5-day stay at the hotel, I'm a little disappointed...

Pros: SERVICE. Nowhere else have I ever met such polite, friendly, warm and helpful staff. Most hotel personnel are polite, but these people were genuinely kind. It's hands-down the best thing about The Bale. Also, the breakfast at Faces is excellent. There was a large selection of breakfast choices and beverages.. All included as part of your stay! Very romantic dinner in your own villa and bath included with the package. Very romantic hotel.

Cons: The "Beach Club" is merely a fenced off part on the beach and the water has lots of seaweed and the sand leaves little to praise about. MOSQUITOES in the rooms. Had I been forewarned, I would've made precautions of my own, but I had no idea that there would be mosquitoes in our villas at night. I woke up with mosquito bites on my face and shoulders.. NOT pleasant. Upon complaint with reception, I was told that mosquito nets were available. However, I think the hotel should warn guests ahead of time that there would be mosquitoes at night so that they could have the net up BEFORE getting bit; instead of after. (We think the gaps under the sliding doors are the reasons for mosquitoes inside the villas at night.)

Otherwise, the villas were nice.. But not outstanding. The outside shower was awkwardly located on the other side of the bathroom (not leading to the pool).. Which was why we never used it. There were bugs (some dead, some alive) throughout the villa.. But there were more dead than alive ones, so I'll give the hotel credit on that. Also, usually by the next day, they were removed by the caretakers. The spa is located above the rest of the buildings and benefited from a wonderful breeze. However, both my partner and I received the "Traditional" massage and were disappointed. Perhaps our standards for a massage are quite high as we frequent many spas and massage parlours in China and Hong Kong.

At any rate, The Bale is beautiful. It's modern looking and very stylish and exclusive. However, (perhaps we were too pumped for it to begin with), it didn't quite meet the high expectations that we had for it.

Additional: Bali offers a huge amount of various activities outside the hotel and the concierge is very helpful in assisting guests with planning and arranging them. Also, an additional bonus is the free private shuttle service provided by the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
joseluiscalle, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, August 14, 2010
Dear Reviewer

We are very pleased to hear your feedback on the Bale and always look forward to improving our guests’ experiences through comments like yours. At the Bale we strive to not only please but to really ‘wow’ our guests.

Unfortunately, we did not succeed and I must personally apologize for a less than perfect experience. I will pass on your wonderful feedback about our outstanding service and will personally address the mosquito and spa issues at the hotel. Mosquitos and other insects can be an issue in Bali and we spray each day in an effort to rid them from our property.

Unfortunately, there are times when they can still be a problem and we must increase our diligence so our guests are not uncomfortable. We also pride ourselves on spa and wellness and it is unusual to get less than stellar comments about our spa.

We thank-you for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to the Bale in the future.

Warm Regards,

Jose Luis Calle
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

My husband and I had the opportunity to visit The Bale, upon a recommendation of a good friend.

We spent 5 days at the resort and the service and staff were outstanding.
We had a lovely and relaxing time and would highly recommend anyone to go there for their vacation.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Bale? Share your experiences!