“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bale

You added The Bale to your Saves list
The Bale
5.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Jl. Raya Nusa Dua Selatan, Nusa Dua, Bali 80363, Indonesia   |
Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Nusa Dua
railda
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is a very nice boutique hotel. They have spacious villa/rooms and the staff is superior to major city 5 star hotels. I can't say enough good things about this place. Thank you all there at the Bale you made our stay in Bali a memorable one!

Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear railda, thank you for your brief and highly positive contribution about our product. We do like "excellent" as that means we met and exceeded your expectations which is our aim. We love our small boutique resort, which I believe shows in the caring nature of our team and the service delivered. We are different due to the fact there are so many high volume resorts which surround us that we can create a guest experience that is personalised, which you obviously experienced and enjoyed. I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the near future.
Kind regards - Luke Harley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We recently stayed at The Bale for 9 nights, and think that it is just the most amazing resort. Our villa was large, airy, modern, and luxurious - and it was absolute bliss to just step into our private pool or laze on the day bed each day.

The level of privacy at the resort is incredible - the only times we really saw other guests was either at breakfast time, or cocktail hour. Most days, we would spend some of the afternoon at the main pool, and were literally the only ones ever in it for the 10 days. There are cabanas at the main pool, and staff are only too happy to deliver lunch/drinks to the cabana for you.

The staff are just incredible - nothing is too much trouble (and I mean nothing). We were visiting Bali as an early birthday present for myself, so the staff baked a cake and decorated our villa with candles and flowers to celebrate.

Another day, I was speaking to the chef, Hamish, and he mentioned that he once worked in one of my favourite Sydney restaurants. I mentioned to him how much I loved a particular pizza that they did there - so the next day, he made it for me and has since sent the recipe through to me.

Most of the staff have worked at The Bale for years, and it's clear that they love their jobs. They are so friendly, and will do anything to make sure your stay is enjoyable. Everyone we encountered, from the staff at the spa to the gardeners, were fantastic.

There is a new Tapas bar at The Bale - serves fantastic food and cocktails, and the quality of all of the meals within the resort is excellent.

Thank you to the general manager, Luke, and all of the staff at The Bale for making our holiday so perfect. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear catMelbourne, thank you for your thorough review and your very praising heading of this. While we are far from perfect (especially over a 9 night stay) we certainly do try hard with the pride and passion the team displays going a long way toward achieving this. Hamish is a great asset not just to the hotel, but also the education toward our local team whose desire to learn from him is infectious while also highly consistent. It is also very hard to find a chef that is as interactive as he is and who loves thinking outside the square to create a guest experience. I am also very glad you mentioned the team who often do not receive recognition as they are just as important, with just as much desire to impress. It is a team effort and I a gad as a team we were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back (perhaps for some warmth from a cold Melbourne winter ahead) and if I can assist in making this happen please do not hesitate to make contact with me directly luke.harley@thebale.com
hong kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We returned to The Bale in Feb this year for a 5 day break.

The bathrooms have been renovated since our previous visit and they look great. The entrance and lobby area were being undergoing some refitting as well to accommodate a new bar/restaurant on the second floor. There were little or no disruptions except perhaps for a few workers milling around.

The simple minimalist architecture of the Bale is rather unique. Lots of white limestone (locally sourced apparently) with tropical accents from the traditional thatched rooms and frangipani trees. Everything has its place in the Bale. Unlike other tropical resorts which are awash with forest overgrowth, Bale tends to appeal to the urbanite seeking a tranquil and elegant resort break.

Food was excellent as always. We had breakfast and their new head chef is lovely and accommodating and so are all the wait and service staff. More about that later. Selection for american and continental breakfast is varied but not extensive compared to the infamous St Regis brunch across the road. Try their banana crepe pancakes if you like something sweet.

Ambience is very quiet because of the no kids policy. The resort is small and with mostly couples staying here, this is the kind of resort which caters well to honeymooners or people looking to get away from the Seminyak crowds. Don't expect pool parties or exciting nightlife. This is where I like to go so I can completely unwind in peace.

Service staff are highly fluent in English. I didn't speak to anyone who I couldnt have a full conversation with. And terribly lovely. They are always happy to chit chat but not over-familiar by any means.

Villas: The ones by the golf course are my least favourite. Get one further from the road. Remember there are plenty of steps and no lifts, so stick to the level where the main pool is.

High point:

On my last day, I wanted to have some bebek bengil (BBQ duck from the famous Ubud restaurant which has a branch in Nusa due) but was feeling too comfy to trip out of the villa. So i had the grand idea to request for a delivery service, hoping but not fully expecting anyone to acquiesce. Guess what, the Bale's friendly front desk promptly assured me that was absolutely no problem and they arranged for my favourite duck to be biked to me in 30 min. No fuss, no back and forth. Effortless and professional service and at all levels.

Not so high point:

Their renovation of the bathrooms included placing some timber planks in the shower which gave me a fantastic under foot massage, but by day 5, I grew bit weary of stepping into the shower. Perhaps Luke can review this.

My full compliments to the team. Thanks for taking care of us. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: The ones by the golf course are my least favourite. Get one further from the road. Remember there ar...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for returning to us Staceleong and I appreciate your second posting about our product with our team. Since your most recent stay in February, I can assure you that there are only 2 villas remaining with the wooden panels in the shower. All other villas have been tiled so you will not have to be concerned with this again. Our team are wonderful and they do go out of their way to impress our guests with a "whatever it takes" attitude. Many of them have been here for a very long time, quite a number since the hotel opened so there is very much a "homely" feel to the property and the guest experience. As you have stated our market is romantics, couples and older couples whose children have grown up and enjoying life for a while. Our 16 years and over concept certainly assists us in creating a relaxing and romantic environment as you know, which is the market we want to attract given the volume of family orientated hotels that surround us. I do hope we can welcome you back so the team in all areas can look after you again like they have in the past. If I can assist in making this happen, please liaise with me directly so I can assist. Kind regards - Luke Harley
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have spent 5 nights at the Bale and i can honestly say its one of the best hotels I've stayed in..The pavilions are huge and there is a great sized private pool which is clean and secluded and an outside daybed with a overhead fan and tea/coffee making facilities...
The staff are fantastic and will deliver meals to your pavilion at no extra charge, they even offer mosquito spray in the bar and restaurant, along with cold towels..
We have barely left the villa but we did venture to the private section of the beach and yes it was small but again every care is taken to make sure you are looked after, they even give you a spritz spray to cool you down and aftersun lotion as well as water.that and the free car service to the beach what more can you ask for...
If you want a relaxing holiday where care and attention has gone into your stay being amazing and fantastic customer service, look no further than the Bale Its a dream come true and we will be back very soon.Thank you Luke. Hamish and all your wonderful staff.....

Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Hello 75Doll99 and thank you for your praising review of our villas and our team. While I am not keen on finding out what heaven looks like for a while yet, if our beautiful Balinese team that make our environment special are there, then we will all be happy!! The genuine and caring nature of our team makes the guest experience memorable and I am glad you, along with so many of our guests received this but also appreciate it. The villa is very well designed and serviced, to ensure that like yourselves if you are not into sightseeing and just want to relax and enjoy everything on offer with us or in our immediate region then this is easily catered for. From housekeeping to front office to engineering to the F&B team you have mentioned, it is a team effort but even moreso a family effort, which is an environment we actively promote and attempt to create. As you are only in Singapore so only a short trip away, I look forward to welcoming you back again soon so you can enjoy your time with us again.
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We booked our stay based on the strength of the reviews here but really could not identify with the views of the majority. The pics look great on Tripadvisor but the atmosphere on-site did not live up to those pics and our expectations. But let's start off with the strengths:

1. To be fair, it is a boutique hotel and viewed from that perspective, it is comparable to the villa-type accoms around Seminyak. In fact, they are a little more luxurious than those in Seminyak/Kuta but note that The Bale is also more pricey. In my view, there is not a lot to do around Nusa Dua and the dining options are limited - hence, I agree with a post here that mentioned The Bale as being "too pricey for (the) value".

2. The service was very good; the staff members were very attentive and accommodating. In my view, they alone deserve the great ratings accorded to the property.

3. The 'Faces' restaurant dished out very tasty meals, both local and international cuisine. We tried a range of their dishes and came away with a good impression. The soto ayam was good, as was the lobster pasta that we tried. I especially enjoyed the mee goreng. So a 4.5 stars to the restaurant. We did not have dinner there and so can't comment on the dnr menu.

The downside (want to add that everyone's experience and taste is different - it just did not live up to the good reviews here):

1. There is NO beach front - in case you made the mistake of looking at one of the photos like we did. The photo is a management photo of a small area on the beach that is about a 3min drive from the hotel across the main road. You can walk but it would take you 10 mins and perhaps by asking around. The area is extremely small and is flanked on the left by a barren patch of private owned ppty and on the right by a activities organiser. It is not luxurious and we felt that it was very makeshift - we were accosted by therapists hawking massage services. We left after 20 mins.

2. Not a big point but just wanted to mention that The Bale sits next to the main thoroughfare and is therefore noisy as you enter. You can't hear the noise at the villas but the feeling of exclusivity is lost as you enter the hotel.

3. The Villa itself is well-appointed, with a pool and a big-sized bathroom. However, we did not once swim in it coz the pool floor looked filthy. You can see the dirt stir-up as you touch the water - I think they try to purify the pool every morning with chlorinated pellets but I can't be sure. There were white pellets that dissolved after a while. We were also not enticed to enter the main pool for the same reason and the general feel of the ppty just did not resonate.

4. The Villa was populated with mosquitoes. I do not want to sound like I am nickpicking here but it really is annoying when they buzz around you at night and you wake up with bites everywhere. We had Baygon sprays but seriously, how many times to you want to get up and spray insecticide in your own air-conditioned room?

5. The air-con system is insufficient to cool the place. One unit broke down during our stay and although they fixed it, they asked us not to lower the temp below 22 deg - In the Bali heat and given the size of the room, I thought they really should relook their cooling systems.

6. Our villa was noisy with all sorts of fauna - a pigeon made a nest on the roof and we would hear it cooing all afternoon - annoying! We had lizards visiting the room and a wierd noise circling the ppty all night. Found out on the last day that it was some sort of bird (a Kite perhaps) that circled and landed on our Villa roof at night.

We were looking for some form of luxury when we were there but did not find any. I do not believe the ppty merits the 5 circle ratings it has been getting. If you do find yourself drawn to the ppty, I would recommend that you spend 1 day at Finn's Beach Club at Ungasan. It costs us Rp80,000 by cab each way but the trip was worth it. It was really beachfront as you would imagine it. I will not be back here.

P.S. Have a look at The Mulia next door - great ppty and certainly beachfront but it may be a little too big and corporate to offer you the private coupling time if that is what you are looking for. But worth a visit.

Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Lionian, thank you for staying with us and I very much respect your detailed review. Thank you for taking the time to write this as we certainly take all feedback constructively. As sure as death and taxes, another thing I do know is that we will not impress everyone, but it wont be from a lack of trying. The 3 most important aspects you have noted as highly positive are the service from our team which is something we are all very proud of, our wonderful Faces restaurant and our beautiful villa product. I absolutely agree that due to different guests backgrounds, experiences, travels and expectations that as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, we will fall short in some areas with some of our guests but we need to make sure this is the overwhelming minority. I apologise in advance for this and I am also very sorry we did not live up to your expectations. We are successful because we can "control the controllables" and things like our product, team and service fall into this category. Unfortunately we are unable to control things like heat, humidity, fauna and mosquitoes as I am sure you can appreciate, but we do certainly try our hardest to minimise their existence or presence. The heat and humidity is an ongoing challenge not just for us, but all of Bali given what our day to day environment throws at us. We are always looking at ways to improve the guest experience and things like the current physical install and testing of a new designed ac unit is currently under way along with many other small items guests raise with us, as little things make a difference. If I can assist in recreating your impression of our product, then please do not hesitate to make contact with me directly luke.harley@thebale.com
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Amazing place in Nusa Dua in the Bale!
Nice villa here, privacy pool and yard, really like stay at home.
Candle dinner was so Romatic and peaceful, really can be enjoy full holidays here....
I will come again when I am stay in Bali next time

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hi Estelle D and thank you for visiting us from China. Also thank you for posting about your stay with us from back in April. In my eyes, the most important word you have used in your posting is "home" and I thank you for using this word as that is the type of environment we try to create. We want The Bale to be a peaceful, low key and serene experience with quiet and discreet service, that still maintains professionalism. We are not a "glitzy" affair with lots of pomp, atmosphere and in your face service, there are enough of them in Bali. We are a stylish retreat for couples, romantics and normal every day people who simply want to escape for a while. If that can make you or anyone else feel like you are at home, then we have succeeded with what we are trying to create. I hope you can enjoy feeling like you are at home again and if I can assist, please feel free to liaise with me directly.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I'll start with our HUGE deluxe villa, wow everything you could want. A large private pool and nice grassy area. The bed and bedding top notch. The out door shower was unbelievable and overall privacy, perfect. The included breakfast was terrific. The included lunch or dinner or massage all worth the delux upgrade. The beach area was really nice, a short walk to the beach.The location perfect for us and close to a lot of places if you want to get out and about.
They don't have expansive views like the Bulgari... But the real deal here is the value. This is a really nice boutique hotel and the Staff and the manager Luke do everything to make you feel comfortable. The architecture and design are both modern yet Balineese. The second I opened the door to our villa I could smell the great thatch roof smell that stands out in memory as the "Bali smell".
This should be a model that other hotels strive for.
We travel the world and wish we could get this kind of value more often!
Great job to The Bale team, we will be back!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are worth the upgrade s you in addition to breakfast you get either lunch or dinner or...
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hello danasbox, thank you for visiting us all the way from the US of A. Bali is obviously very different from the Big Apple and looking at your profile it certainly is rewarding to receive a posting like yours given the volume of postings you have made from all your travels worldwide. I am glad you loved this hotel because so do we!!! and I firmly believe this shows in the pride, passion and desire of the team to ensure our guests receive a genuine experience. You are absolutely correct we do not have Ocean views, but we are only a 2 minute drive from the beach front with our own designated area, serviced by our team area for our guests to use. We do look forward to you returning and if I can assist with making this happen, feel free to contact me directly at luke.harley@thebale.com