“Shhh don't tell anyone ..... This place is amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bale

You added The Bale to your Saves list
The Bale
5.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Jalan Raya Nusa Dua Selatan, Nusa Dua, Bali 80363, Indonesia   |
Special Price
LIMITED 50% DISC!
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Sydney, Australia
“Shhh don't tell anyone ..... This place is amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

This place truly makes you feel so calm, relaxed and special. From the beautiful staff, to the private pool, private beach section, rooms & service, it was such an amazing time that we want to keep this little gem all to ourselves. If privacy and relaxation is what you want then The Bale will not disappoint.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear Becdeb

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Bale.

I am glad we could make it a memorable experience and look forward to welcoming back in the future.

Michele

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We have enjoyed every minute of our stay. The weather was perfect. The pavilions are state of the art, each has it's own private pool. Staff is friendly and helpful. Not to mention the food from the Faces restaurant is absolute divine. Attention to details is second to none. Make sure you book yourself an appointment at the Spa. We had a 2.5 hours treatment and we came out refreshed and completely relaxed. It's a complete different experience to any treatments you get from down the streets. If you are looking for complete relaxation. This is the place to be!!!

Room Tip: All pavilions are beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Dear mwo924

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sure that not only us appreciate it but all the readers of tripadvisor.com .

I have already passed on your thanks to our spa team who also thank you for noticing their skills and passion in what they do.

All the team at Faces also thank you for the compliments.

I hope that next time you come to the island of the gods will be able to stay a little longer at The Bale en indulge in its peacefulness.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Sadly I only had two nights at the Bale but that was enough for me to see why this has become such a popular villa resort. I arrived late having missed my connection to Bali, and whilst sitting in Singapore remembered that my tour operator had arranged for VIP visa on arrival service and I had no contact details in order to let them know the new arrival time. It hadn't been booked by the Bale but I phoned them to ask for their help and within an hour Lily on the front desk had contacted the relevant company and rearranged it for me. 7 hours later than planned I arrived in the evening and was taken to my villa by the butler. First impression was a very minimalist reception area, which didn't look terribly inviting in the dark...but perhaps that was because I was tired after around 30 hours of travelling? Check in was done in villa, which I always appreciate, and the friendly butler suggested that after such a long journey a spa treatment might be just what I needed. He duly arranged a 9pm massage and after that I sank into the very comfortable bed had the best first night's sleep of any holiday.

The deluxe pavilion in which I was staying overlooked the golf course. It was every bit as nice as i expected, beautifully appointed and had the best selection of travel essentials that I've seen outside City hotels - even a little pack of detergent which I had no intention of using as the laundry service was so efficient. In my short time there I had chance to try the restaurant and of course the spa. I did not get out into the Nusa Dua area.

The private pools are of a decent size and it is possible to swim lengths, although the main pool which is near the restaurant was better for exercise.

Breakfast can be served in villa or in the main restaurant. It was an a la carte breakfast with the dishes I chose executed and presented very nicely. Evening cocktails were included within my room rate. I thought this was a clever move as it encouraged guests to go and have a pre-dinner drink rather than sit in their villas so it made the resort a lot more sociable than I had expected. It also meant there was a natural tendency to eat in the restaurant rather than go out. All in all, a great start to the holiday and would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
Dear Mauritiusfan2

Thank you taking the time of writing such a nice and thorough review of our resort.

I do truly appreciate it. Lily also thanks you for mentioning her good work. She definitely is an asset to our reservations department and front office.

At least she made it possible for you to speed up the logistical nightmare that can sometimes be the arrival in Bali from overseas especially when you experience such a delay as you did.

I have also personally thanked the butlers' team for having the good idea of offering a spa treatment to take out all the stress from such a long tedious day.

I really look forward to your next visit to the island of the gods, and hopefully you will be able to spend a little bit more time with us, before or after going to explore the reefs around the island.

Warmest tropical regards

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We stayed at The Bale from 22/5 to 25/5 for 3 nights, totally loved the place. The private pool was great and big enough and gave you total privacy. Our package includes breakfast and we could order whatever we want from the menu. Breakfasts were served fast and brought to our villa onto our day bed and it was lovely. One thing to highlight is their egg benedict with white truffle sauce..yummilicous! Staff were all friendly throughout the stay and very helpful, and made us feel very welcome. Although there were some construction work going on during the last two days, I was still happy despite of the noise (the bed was big and comfy) - what really surpised us was when we checked out they told us we got USD100 credit per night as compensation for the noise - didnt really expect that so thank you. Its not really about the money but because the hotel was being really thoughtful. Will definitely recommend to our friends and we will definitely come back again. see you next time!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Dear zagapo

Thank you for this beautiful review.

I and the team really appreciate the time you have spent writing it and we are glad you had a good time with us.

Regarding the construction I am happy to let you know that after yesterday the machines have moved away from us and i have received the confirmation that it will remain this way from the project manager, which is a great outlook for this coming summer.

Thank you again and I and the team look forward to welcoming you again at The Balé and to prepare you some more Bale Benedict (delicious indeed!).

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

We stayed at the baléfor two weeks. After having seen quit a few 5*hotels for business as well as for leisure reason, I believe we bceame "fans" oft the balé and would recommend it toour best friends (no one elye -because otherwise itbecomes to be to busy..;-). If you are looking for max privacy - you should go there or rent a whole island.outstanding villa design and 260sqm of ptivate luxury space and nice easy and quiet "common" areassuch as bar, lounge, retaurant and "public" pool to meetother people if you like. But the most outstanding topic was for us the very personal atmosphere the whole team contrbuted. Since wedonot like "master &servant" attitude -we are quite a bit sensitive towards the interaction between guest and staff. We believe there is a very very thin line between relaxed guest services and too "easy style" - if you would like to see the perfect match of this thin line, go to the balé. You realy feel like a family member but still as guest the same time. The staff will remeber all your preferences and also has a good picture of what activities you had throuout the day. So they ask you with antaurla attitude how you day/activity was and chatting a bit - and also will remembr the other day. To reach that level is already tought for main client facing staff (concierge, GM, resto manager) but somehow , they manage this atmosphere level from the GM down to the gardener. We strongly beliveve, they do invets quit some time, know how and manag,emet attention in this, with a exceptional result. For us the best "privacy AND guest tretament" faciltyz we have seen. Everz single dollar is a good invetsment. Thanks.
Ps: please get rid of the pepper mills - we hate them...;-)

• Stayed May 2011
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
Dear DaTi74

Thank you very much for this great review.

It was really nice to have you at our property and too be able to spend some time with you and your lovely partner.

I and the team are very glad that you had a good two weeks of rest and peacefulness here at The Balé Nusa Dua.

I am also very proud that you recognized our unique type of service which we call hospitality from the heart, where everyone is involved as a family member and we treat you as part of our family without ever crossing that thin line you mentioned but putting you at ease everywhere in the property. It is indeed a special feeling that pervades the whole resort and I am extremely honored to be part of this family.

I look forward to seeing you next year as promised :-)

Good luck back in CH!!!

atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

The Bale was exceptional to say the least:
-The beauty of the resort and the rooms is just mind blowing. Everything is so manicured and clean. The modern design and beautiful landscape appealed to our aesthetics.
-The staff was so helpful and friendly (bonus: spoke great english). After years of traveling and staying at 5 star resorts the staff at The Bale really showed us what 5 star service is like. From the room service, setting up excursions(the scuba diving was amazing) and the spa(5 stars)... we felt so pampered and taken care of. They truly tended to our every need and want and all with GREAT KINDNESS.
-The food was a bonus... they have a great selection of local inspired food as well as tastes from home to keep you satisfied... and all with a great cocktail and wine selection.
*All in all, we were so happy with our decision to go to The Bale for our honeymoon. It was great balance of relaxation, luxury and romance.. as well as.. adventure and culture. We are now hooked on boutique style resorts after visiting The Bale.
The level of service, food, and beauty left us wanting more... already planning to celebrate our first anniversary at The Bale.

Room Tip: The deluxe pavilion package is a great deal!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
MicheleGiraudo, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Dear aemillner1

Thank you for taking the time to write this very nice review.

It was really nice to meet you and your husband during your recent visit to The Bale and te be able to spend some time with both of you and share some interesting stories.

Thank you also very much for posting some photos, this really helps the readers to see how the resort looks like and those shots give also a good idea of the zen mood that floats across the whole property.

I look forward to seeing you again next year!

Warmest Island regards,

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

We'd arrived from Borneo where we'd been on safari for a few days and were looking forward to a week of rest and relaxation. The Bale delivered 100%. From being picked up at the airport through to the end of our stay the staff attended to every detail, everything was perfectly organised and the room was fantastic.

The Bale is a perfect combination - the facilities provide for nearly everything you could wish for; and when twinned with the fantastic staff who nothing is too much trouble, provide a mix which delivers perfectly.

We opted for the deluxe single pavilion - the room was wonderfully spacious and the private pool and outdoor day bed provided opportunity to cool down when the sun got too much. The room rate included half board which could either be taken as lunch or dinner from a fixed menu which varied each day or a couples massage (traditional, aromatherapy or hot stone).

The restaurant was relatively simple with a fixed but varied menu, the food was of very high quality and the service was exceptional. One night we had a barbecue in our pavilion - an excellent really romantic experience which I'd highly recommend. One slight issue was the price of wine - about £50 for the cheapest bottle - however this seems to be a Bali-wide problem due to a very high import duty tax set by the Government, the cheapest we saw anywhere was around £35. The restaurant is relatively empty most of the time - for a start there aren't many pavilions but also you have the option to eat meals in your pavilion, something that we frequently took advantage of. The staff were perfectly happy to accommodate us either in our room or in the restaurant, with the full menu available in room.

A couple of other things:
- the staff ran us a bath with rose petals & a bottle of bubbly on our last night which was a wonderful (and unexpected) touch
- one day we hired a rental car with a driver guide. It was very good value and the driver (Mare) was a wonderful guide and we had a fantastic day - I would highly recommend for anyone who is in Bali for a short period of time to see some of the best of what the island has to offer especially up in the Ubud region.
- free wifi is available and works pretty much across the hotel
- there is an option to go to the beach where they have a reserved area and Bale staff on hand to look after you. Slight issue with the high number of local kids who frequently try to sell trinkets all the time meant we much preferred our pavilion over the beach
- during our stay we received a discount to our bill of c$100 per day to take account of a building project in the neighbourhood - this seemed to be very good value as we struggled to notice any noise at all (it was never noticeable against the sound of babbling water which pervades the hotel with all the running water)

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe single pavilion package
Dear LondonTraveller43

It was really nice to meet you and your lovely new wife.

Thank you very much for your very positive review; we are glad that we managed to meet and exceed your expectations.

Here at The Bale, we all really appreciate the time and effort you have put into your review and we are extremely grateful for it, as you make it possible for future guests to understand what we are all about.

Regarding the wine prices it is indeed an island and more generally an Indonesian wide issue as the government has decided to tax the wines and other luxury goods to up to 350% on value. This means that a bottle that is 10GBP when you buy it in Europe once it arrives here it becomes already 55GBP and on top of that operators like ourselves need to make a small markup and then add the taxes and the service charge for our staff members, it does make it hard but we have the intention to reduce our margins for this coming season to make it more affordable for our guests to enjoy wines. Being myself half Italian, half French and having grown up in Spain I do understand the importance of a good glass or bottle of wine during a meal.

Regarding the credit for the noise, we believed that even if it was not in our control it was necessary to make sure that you did not get an impression that we do not care about the well being of our guests while at the property and felt it was a necessary thing to do. Now I am really happy to say that the construction next door has entered a much more silent phase and that the resort has reacquired its peacefulness.

Warmest Balinese Regards,

Michele

Been to The Bale? Share your experiences!