“OVER THE TOP SERVICE....AN UNFORGETABLE HONEYMOON!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

You added The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kawasan Pariwisata Nusa Dua Lot N 2, Nusa Dua, Bali 80363, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Stay Longer, Pay Less
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Marousi, Greece
“OVER THE TOP SERVICE....AN UNFORGETABLE HONEYMOON!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

I chose the Laguna based on very thorough research on trip advisor and I must say that in the beginning I was very suspicious of all the positive and excellent guest reviews. But please, and I cannot stress this enough: BELIEVE IT!!! The pictures do no justice to the resort. And just as well, because when you arrive at the Laguna…you are simply overwhelmed!! This was our first trip to Bali and for sure will not be our last!!
Months before our honeymoon, the Laguna executive staff was SOOOO helpful!! Anything I needed they were always on the ball. Whether it was sending me Spa brochures and very detailed information or even arranging my pick-up from the airport, my new friend Susan was always glad and eager to help. Many thanks to her and her colleagues for exceptional luxury service and hospitality, as well as for making my honeymoon unforgettable! I will be eternally grateful!!
Upon arriving in Bali we were welcomed to a beautiful setting filled with many friendly and smiling front desk employees who treated us as if we were VIP. Our room was fantastic!! Fresh fruits, chocolates and fresh flowers greeted us, as well as a special honeymoon surprise from the Laguna Resort!! The bed was super and very comfortable. The room was spacious and the view was lovely. The resort had immaculate gardens and facilities. The pools were all sparkling clean and exceptionally beautiful. We used the Spa almost everyday. It was great being pampered and treated like royalty. I highly recommend to all honeymooners (and not only) the MOONLIGHT MASSAGE treatment in the Grand Gazebo at night accompanied by chocolates, fruit and cocktails. The Spa facilities the Jacuzzi and the treatment rooms were divine. Many thanks to all of the Spa staff. The food was also way above my expectations. Breakfast had something to offer for all tastes. We never had to wait for a table or for food to be replenished. Room service as well was great!! Delicious food prepared in 30 minutes or less!! We didn’t really use the butler service that much but it was a plus to know that someone is always there to respond to all of our needs. To make the long, yet happy story short, the Laguna exceeded all of our expectations. It was a joy to be a guest there. After seeing the rest of the hotels in Nusa Dua at a glance, I was even more content knowing our choice was the best for our needs and preferences. My next visit in Bali will definitely be at the Laguna!! THANK YOU FOR A WONDERFUL STAY!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
thelaguna, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 3, 2010

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to learn that you had a most enriching and distinctive honeymoon with us and that our team looked after you very well.

On behalf of The Laguna family, we look forward to welcoming you both back to our warmth and indigenous hospitality on your second honeymoon.

David C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

My daughter and I stayed 5 nights at the Laguna Resort in March and we're planning on returning as quickly as possible. The pictures on the website do not do it justice. It is truly a tropical paradise. When we arrived we were greeted with Balinese dancers and beautiful gamelan music. The service was extraordinary and our butlers were nothing less than perfect. We drank tons of water so they were constantly bringing us bottles (8 at a time). Our room was a lagoon access room and well worth the extra $$. We loved slipping from our room into the pool whenever we wanted. The grounds were immaculate and the pools were truly amazing. We ordered room service and went to their brunch (best brunch I've ever had), but it's much less expensive to go off site. The ocean is nice, but very warm. We found the pools to be more refreshing. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. My favorite hotel in my life!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to learn that you had a most enriching and distinctive experience while staying at The Laguna and that our team looked after you very well.

On behalf of The Laguna family, we look forward to welcoming you back to our warmth and indigenous hospitality in the near future.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

we picked the Laguna resort based on the reviews on trip advisor, and we were not disappointed. The resort itself is open and comfortable and the pools surrounding the resort definitely made it a highlight. The open plan of the lobby was a welcome sight after arriving from the airport and we were quickly checked into our rooms. There was a mix up with the booking and although we had booked 2 executive studio rooms, they gave us two plunge pool rooms. But because the rooms were a little smaller than what we had originally booked, they compensated us by giving us free breakfast, which was a nice touch.
We were told that there was a butler service, allowing someone to bring us tea, coffee, and ice at any time and that was a service that we used a lot of.
the Laguna also included an afternoon tea in one of the hotel restaurants and that would be the only complaint of the whole trip. It was a bit of a let down, as when we arrived, we were served our hot drinks and given up to 3 small cakes, but at long intervals. So my only recommendation, is that if you are intending to go, don't go hungry and not with bored and tired young children. However if all you want is a nice cup of coffee or tea, in pleasant surroundings, then it is quite pleasant.
The rooms were clean and adequate. The bathroom was a little dated and tired, but more than adequate. Each room had a plasma screen tv and a dvd player, so we were able to buy our dvd's from outside and watch them in the room, much to my childrens' delight.
The main drawcard I feel is the pool, or the multiple pools that are found wrapped around the hotel. They weren't deep and so great for young children and you could swim and not feel surrounded by people, so it felt very tranquil.
We had breakfast in the ocean lagoon cafe and that was a lovely buffet breakfast with all your standard foods.
We tried out two of the restaurants there, one was the mayang sari and the other was the ocean terrace cafe, both of which were lovely and served lovely modern european cuisine with a bali twist to it. Prices are comparable to Perth prices.
Given that this was my first trip to Bali, I am glad it is not going to be my last.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
thelaguna, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2010

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

It was a short getaway for the purpose of celebrating my partner's birthday so it was planned that we stayed in the No. 1 rated hotel on TripAdvisor for Nusa Dua. We definitely went with high expectations given the rave reviews and fortunately, we were not disappointed!

The moment we arrived, the mood was set right when the driver picked us up from the airport. He was ready welcoming us. Upon arrival at the hotel, we were swiftly attended to and ushered to their lobby with welcome drinks while the check-in was processed. We need not have to queue. A butler was assigned and he made efforts to highlight the dining places and facilities. AND the landscape is fabulous! We felt like diving in the moment we saw the lagoon pools!!

The food was good too! The overall dining experience was made better by the great service. When I mentioned to the waiter it was my partner's birthday and that we would like 1 candle on our dessert - a chocolate cake. 5 minutes later, he appeared with his team and surprised my partner with a birthday song!

Lastly, do try the spa! I swear it is the best massage I had - ever.

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

On behalf of The Laguna family, we look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to our warmth and indigenous hospitality in the near future.

Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

I came to Bali for a business meeting but I really enjoy the Laguna Resort. Great room, great ocean, great pools and bars around, absolute quiet. To me, it is somewhat better than the Bahamas

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

On behalf of The Laguna family, we look forward to welcoming you back to our warmth and indigenous hospitality on your holiday in the near future.

LONDON, ENGLAND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Staying at the Laguna for 3 weeks in June/July left us with very mixed feelings about the hotel and about Bali.
Let’s start with the good: The situation of The Laguna, which by the way used to be branded under the Sheraton brand, is one of the three best in Nusa Dua. Only this hotel, and its two neighbours, Melia and Westin, enjoy the small bay which provides swimming sheltered from the surf, and cool breezes at most times. There are mature trees along the shoreline, which give shade and sun together in a natural setting – it’s a very nice location. Also great is the design of the many pools and lagoons. This is among the best environment for swimming and relaxing I have seen. It’s like a tropical oasis with manicured but natural looking gardens surrounding varied shapes of pool. Much nicer than the rather sterile rectangular minimalist designs of later resorts. Also good were the staff – all friendly and helpful, within their allowed scope.
But that’s where the good stops and issues begin. First and foremost: the food at this resort is pitiful and expensive (by Bali standards). From the buffet breakfasts with green or woody fruit to the sandwiches with no butter or spread available, to the cocktails at three times market rate, it’s all bad. In case you think it’s just my poor judgement here, take note that on many occasions in the evening, with full occupancy at the hotel, there were less than 6 tables dining at the Ocean Terrace restaurant, and the Cafe Lagoon looked deserted. Both these restaurants served dull or badly cooked food. We heard that the new “star chef” had left after just a few weeks. I am not surprised. The organised BBQ’s offered better fare, but not by much, and at a huge price. The Cascades bar was also deserted, only the Kool Cool beach bar had some evening life, but not much. Evenings were marked by flocks of taxis leaving this hotel to head for better dining haunts, most of which are not to be found in Nusa Dua at all. Check out Seminyak restaurants for the best: The Breeze, Chandi, Nirvana, Ultimo all serve great food at half the price of a meal in this resort, but they are 40 mins taxi drive away.
Second big issue was the dampness in the hotel and particularly the rooms. We had a nice deluxe studio with balcony which was spacious and well decorated being recently renovated. But something is wrong with the design for this humid climate: the rooms are so damp you can feel it on the bed-sheets and your clothes never dry. The A/C cools but doesn’t help. The rooms smell of mold and damp, and it’s so bad that the staff come around changing the furniture periodically. We also had ants living in our chaise longue and a few other insects seemed to be sharing our residence. After three weeks it was quite depressing and this, together with the food, really spoilt the stay.
And finally there is the state of Bali. This island used to be something of a paradise, with a good balance between tourism and traditional local pursuits. That was in the 80s/90s. Nowadays the island is a free-for-all land grab for foreigners buying houses, setting up businesses and restaurants, and new resorts springing up on every spare bit of ground that they can acquire. It’s packed. And the road infrastructure is fit for the 1950s, so there is huge traffic congestion in most areas. In fact driving or being driven is now worse than Bangkok used to be – you often average about 15 miles per hour and sometimes far less. The tourist attractions like the famous temple of Tanah Lot are now great commercial complexes with a huge parking lot for 100 buses. At dusk this place is swamped with visitors all struggling for a bit of space in the sweaty humid maze of gift stores and tourist tat. I could go on, but in my opinion the place is ruined. Your best bet if you want to go to Bali is to choose your resort hotel (The Samaya at Seminyak was the best I saw) and stay there. You can have a lovely pampered stress-free break, but you could really be anywhere sunny and tropical, so unless you are local, why go all the way to Bali? I also think that the climate is just a touch too hot and humid for most Brits and many North Americans to enjoy. It’s significantly hotter sun and more humid than the Caribbean, so many will struggle with it. As a tourist out and about you will also be pestered by vendors all the time, but not aggressively so.
In conclusion: The Laguna is a gorgeous spot, beautifully designed, with great swimming and nice beach. Food is dire, and expensive. There are some deep discounts available on the Internet if you can put up with that and the terrible dampness issue. Also Internet access is a total rip-off, considering most cafes, restaurants and small resorts give it free, but that’s Starwood for you. I think Bali has well and truly had its day - a paradise lost, and as it’s far less convenient than many places to get to (unless you are Australian) you have to ask yourself: Why go at all?

Warm greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua, Bali!

I trust you had a smooth landing at home and have returned to the busy routine of daily life after your recent holiday in Bali.

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

While you seem satisfied with our Resort location and the hospitality of our team, I have noticed your feedback with some areas that require further attention such as the food quality and pricing as well as the room condition.

I have personally shared your comments with my team to ensure improvement is made forthwith. Please be assured that this is not at all representative of what we expect our level of service and that I will take all necessary steps to ensure our service returns to an excellent standard immediately.

Your feedback has been very much appreciated in order for us to review with my team so that the next time you stay with us, we will be able to provide you with a more distinctive and enriching experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact my office directly when your travel plans bring you back to Bali and The Laguna, I will personally take care of the arrangements and ensure your next experience with us is perfect one.

Best regards

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Simply wonderful. The staff are great and the place is really nice

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family