“Good weekend getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

You added The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kawasan Pariwisata Nusa Dua Lot N 2, Nusa Dua, Bali 80363, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
SAVE UP TO 50%
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good weekend getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

You might say that this is a "grand old dame" kind of resort, but we found it aging quite gracefully although it’s evident that rooms might be in need of refurbishment or modernization, but having said that the room we stayed in was very well maintained. The only thing I would have to complain is that I found the aircondition to be rather noisy compared to other hotels we stayed in.

The grounds of this hotel are simply beautiful and we found the staff very accommodating and very attentive. There were always enough sun loungers available at the pool and the beach and it was great fun to watch the naughty squirrels in the gardens. The gym is quite small but equipped quite well with starte of the art equipment - I guess this must have been recently renovated / refurbished. Quality of food served in the restaurants is very good too, so we enjoyed our stay throughout and we will come back in the near future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Londondinu,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

It is pleasing to read your positive insight regarding The Laguna and our hospitality service. We are committed to always improve all aspects of our Resort including our property and service quality and we are glad that our hard efforts are well recognized.

Your feedback in regards with our air conditioner is well accepted and our Engineers will immediately follow up on this. Nevertheless, we are happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

Mark van Leeuwen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We visited The Laguna over 10 years ago and had the most relaxing stay with most wonderful staff and surroundings. Bali was struggling after some political unrest so the area was very quiet and the staff were working so hard to make a good impression without being in your face .
We returned again last October and the ambience was similar yet more boyant . It's a total experience .some have said it's not the "real Bali" in Nusa Dua . They haven't ventured far then . Fishermen are fishing, ladies selling their wares on the beach, children nearby on scooters going to and from school ,street food and all the goings on that Bali provided is surrounding you . But if you want to stay within the wonder of the hotel then it's self providing . the ocean is clean and calm, gorgeous gardens, stunning swimming lagoons , relaxing bars and restaurants and quiet.. Please go there. We will be back .

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Mooneyorbits11,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for taking some of your precious time to write a favorable review on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to learn that your memorable experience over ten years ago brings you back to the warmth and luxury of our Resort.

It is also pleasing to read your highlights regarding our Resort, grounds, and the team. Your positive feedback is in line with the surrounding reviews and we are really proud that we have contributed in some small way to making your experience with us a flawless one.

Thank you for residing with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

First of all, The Laguna is spectacular in every way. The staff is extremely friendly, the room we stayed in was very nice with a great view of the beautifully maintained gardens and pool(s) area. The resort is right on a wonderful beach with a pleasant boardwalk. The food at the on-site restaurants was some of the best we had in our entire 2 weeks in Indonesia. When I arrived I realized that I had left a shirt in my hotel back in Yogyakarta. I went to The Laguna's chief concierge, Wayan Purna for help. He picked up the phone right away and called the hotel to see if he could find my shirt. In the meantime I went out for the day and when I returned he had confirmed that my shirt was found and would be delivered to me at the Laguna the next day. Amazing customer service! The only drawback of the resort is that you feel a bit gated off from some of the cultural experiences that Bali has to offer. I would highly recommend arranging a day trip to the interior of the island (somewhere like Ubud)... something I am sure the wonderful staff at The Laguna can help arrange for you! - Matt, Chicago, USA

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Matt B,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

We really appreciate your positive feedback regarding many aspects of our Resort and we are glad to learn that our efforts to make your stay a memorable one are well recognized.

Your compliment regarding our hospitality service is highly appreciated since this is the indicative that our service has met your satisfaction and will surely raise our spirit in giving the best service for our valued guests.

Thank you for residing with us and we do hope that your memorable experience will bring you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa whenever your travel plan brings you to this Paradise Island

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Our recent visit to The Laguna was fantastic. Great facilities, wonderful service and delicious food have ensured our next visit to Bali will be at The Laguna! The Front Office Manager, Adi, together with all the staff really made our visit special. This along with the fantastic pools and beach are ideal for any vacation. We will be going back.
Ilana Melbourne Australia

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Sfeder,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for posting a favorable review on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to hear that our service and facilities have lived up to your expectation and we thank you for your compliment to our staff and i will personally extend your nice feedback to our Front Office Manager, Adi, who has made your stay with us a memorable one.

Thank you for residing with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This resort seems to be the best along the coast of Nusa dua. It is a little older but still very clean comfortable rooms with plenty of space. Our balcony was a little small so upgrade to lagoon view may be better. luxury resort with amazing never ending pools and gardens. The beach area is very clean with nice out door beds and umbrellas. Butler service at beach and pool for drinks and food also available.
This resort would be first choice for Nusa Dua area.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Barbie O,

Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

We are glad that you had a wonderful and memorable stay at our Resort and we really appreciate your positive feedback regarding our resort, grounds, and hospitality service. Further, we are pleased to learn that everything we offered you along your stay has met your expectation.

We do hope that your memorable experience will bring you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Bali for our honeymoon where we stayed at The Laguna for 4 nights. It is low season at the moment so the hotel and Bali itself was very quiet by comparison to what I would normally expect and this suited us just fine.

We requested a lagoon access room so this was on the first floor of the enormous hotel. It was an absolute joy to step onto our balcony first thing each morning and get straight into the beautiful swimming pool which was always kept very clean. We often got into the pool as the attendents were wading around collecting the leaves and flowers that had fallen into the water overnight.

Our room was clean, and we wanted for nothing. We made use of the butler service to bring complimentary tea and coffee to our room numerous times. Because it was our honeymoon, our turndown service on the first night included a bowlful of rose petals which they would have made into a bath for us but we didn't get a chance to make use of it. It was very pretty all the same.

We had a wonderful massage in a cabana so we were outside in the spectacular grouds. And we lay on lounge chairs on the beach and had cocktails brought to us. The spa and bars were quite expensive by Bali standards but given the setting, we didn't mind once or twice. And Bali Collection and Nusa Dua village had cheaper options when we wanted to save our pennies on later days in our holiday. We had booked our package on Zuji and the nightly rate had been very reasonable.

Breakfast each morning was a buffet selection of all different styles from the traditional Asian to more European fare. I took the opportunity to have omelettes and eggs made for me each morning which was delicious and my husband enjoyed trying everything on offer. The smoothies were particularly good!

We made use of the water sports desk and went parasailing, jet skiing and on the flying fish. The company, Bali Jet Set, which the hotel outsources these activities to, picked us up from the lobby and drove us to the bay in Benoa where they were setup and returned us to the hotel afterwards and were a very professional outfit. They provided towels, free tea, coffee and water and were a lot of fun.

Along the beach area near the hotel, you are able to walk along to the other resorts such as The Westin and The Nusa Dua Beach Hotel and go to their bars and such. This was a lovely walk and it was nice to be able to see what the other hotels had as comparison. I think we definitely made the right choice because the lagoon access meant we had almost a private pool area whereas the other hotels just had the one pool which was beautiful but I imagine it would get crowded in high season.

I couldn't have asked for a better hotel for a honeymoon experience and we are already planning on taking our anniversary there each year.

Room Tip: The lagoon access room was well worth the small additional fee so that we had a pool area shared wit...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Courtneylee0610,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for taking some of your precious time to post a nice review on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to learn that you had a wonderful honeymoon stay with us and we really appreciate your highlights in regards with our service and facilities. Your positive feedback is in line with the surrounding reviews and we are really proud that we have contributed in some small way to making your honeymoon experience with us a flawless one.

We do hope that you nice impression of our Resort will bring you back here in the near future.

sincerely yours,

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I've stayed in many resort hotels in Bali, so I can live my experience comparing the resorts of Bali. This is review about The Laguna Resort and Spa, A Luxury Collection Chain @ Nusa Dua Area, (and some comparation about The Laguna and others hotel).

1.Pre-Reservation
At the time of going to book, I compared prices between the travel agents and direct to the hotel ... in the beginning I saw the price for garden view room is more nearly equal (about USD 200), .... but a week later when I want to travel agents booking through a garden view room is said to have run out, there are pool view (about USD 240) .... but at the same time I look at the hotel website, there is a Garden View, but the price has gone up, not $ 200 more (about $ 240) .... at the same price and I had been raised to take Pool View ..... I was supposed to be disappointing if there diwebsite a garden view, why the hotel management said no to a travel agent?? so I had to take the Pool View (which is more expensive) .... And also when I lived there, I was asked directly at the hotel check-in staff at the time, he said there is still a garden view... 1/5

2.I plan to stay here because it coincided with my wife's birthday (check-in time was my wife's birthday), my wife is a member of SPG (Starwood Preffered Guest). When checked in, my wife shows her SPG card and ID card. They should know that this is her special day, but they do not give a surprise, such as cake, or at least congratulations ... this is very disappointing, because the previous night we stayed at a lot cheaper in the Kuta area (about USD 90 vs. USD 250), but they had a surprise in the morning before checking out to give the cake (check out time is her birthday). My wife is also not a member at the hotel, but they can remember the little things ... a few weeks earlier when my birthday at the others 5 Star Resort Hotel in Nusa Dua Area, they also had a surprise in the form of room upgrades, even when I was not a member of the its hotel chain ... The Laguna greatly disappoints me... 1/5

3.Hotel Landscape and Beach Area
A typical hotels in the Nusa Dua resort ... did not give me the "Wow Factor" like Grand Hyatt/Ayana (which when dropped in the lobby, and looking towards the resort has given a feeling of "wow"). Just a couple of swimming pools, surrounded by tropical plants two hotel buildings either side... The Laguna only have a short coastline (maybe 200 meters?) beachfront area, the others hotel in Nusa Dua Area have a much more long coastline, like Conrad (about 300 m), GH (the longest - about 650 m)... 3/5

4.Hotel Room
Rooms are a bit old, especially in the bathroom, there are some parts that have cracked bathroom ... comfort in the room but stay awake, TV, air conditioning, all in good condition. Maybe that should be added is the water heater (kettle for coffee / tea) are not provided in the rooms... 4/5

5.Hotel Condition
Carpets and elevator in the hotel building already looks old and poorly maintained, so it looks a bit messy. The main pool (which there is a waterfall and a sand-beach like) slob because many leaves are falling in the pool... 2/5

6.Hospitality
Standards, not overly friendly, which is the most friendly when in Arwana (breakfast) ... like others hotel in Nusa Dua Area... , super friendly .. I think it's because of human competition in Nusa Dua Area, where many 5 star hotels in Nusa Dua or maybe the best employee from The Laguna moved to the sister-resort, St.Regis, more luxurious properties from Starwood... 3/5

7.FB
Just try to eat breakfast, taste and choice of standard, compare to other hotels. there are 2 options for breakfast, Arwana the edge of the sea and Banyubiru in the center of the resort. I choose arowana, but its ocean view is not good when compared to its resort competitor in Nusa Dua Area... 3/5

8.Location
Strategic location, close to the entrance to the Nusa Dua area / Bali Collection. Bali Collection is like a market / shopping mall, for dining, shopping, hang out, spa massage. There are 3 hotels which are located closest to the Bali Collection (about 5-10 minute walk), the Grand Hyatt (on the right Bali Collection), Melia, and The Laguna (on the left)... 5/5

Recomended: No
Return To Sleep: No, i want to Try more luxurious properties from Starwood (St.Regis), I hope St.Regis don't dissapoint me, so I can give my faith back to Starwood.

Room Tip: Wait till refurbishment.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
thelagunabali, General Manager at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear FSB_81,

Warmest wishes from The Laguna Resort & Spa!

Thank you for re-posting your review on Tripadvisor.

Firstly we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced along your stay with us and we really appreciate your feedback since it allows us to look into the areas where we have failed to meet your expectation.

Please be advised that rates are dynamic and can change day by day depending on the demand. Our branded website will always show the best available rate for a particular day. Room availability on the day itself can fluctuate due to last minute cancellations and/or no shows.

We sincerely apologize for failing to recognize your wife's birthday and we really appreciate your feedback regarding our room condition. Rooms renovation will be taken into consideration when the hotel carries out the next refurbishment.

Please rest assured since we have shared all your concerns to related departments for our improvement and we do hope that your less than perfect experience did not prevent you from returning to our Resort and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Laguna Resort & Spa in the near future.

Mark van Leeuwen

Been to The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!