“This really is a RETREAT!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nusa Dua Retreat and Spa

You added Nusa Dua Retreat and Spa to your Saves list
Nusa Dua Retreat and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   JL.Melasti II No 88, Kutuh Nusa Dua, Nusa Dua, Bali 80363, Indonesia   |
Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Perth, Australia
“This really is a RETREAT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is the second time that my husband and I have stayed at the Nusa Dua retreat. Yet again after staying a week in Tuban it was nice to retreat to a quiet sanctuary.
We were offered a free upgrade and chose a deluxe room which was brilliant. It was away from the main part of the hotel but not a problem. We were greeted warmly and shown very professional service in our check in.
While it is classed as Nusa Dua , yes it is 15 minutes from the Nusa Dua compound with all of the 5 star hotels, but this is offset by being quiet and remote,set in a rural area that is why it is called a retreat!
Pandawa Beach is within walking distance or accessible with the free shuttle to and from the beach. I find it very relaxing walking to the beach as it is down hill from the retreat but coming back, unless you are really fit would find it hard going on the return.
The staff are really helpful, some of their English is not too good, but the only way that it is going to get better is if they practice with the guests and really it is not that hard to get across what you are wanting. We also heard them speaking to other Asian guests in their native tongue.
We found this gem of a place on a Scoopon deal last year and did not know if we were going to be disappointed,but it is where we will book when returning to Bali.
If you are wanting a 5 star, non personal, faultless experience this is not the place for you.....but if you are wanting an escape from the main stream Bali, really relax in a great clean villa, kind and friendly staff and do not mind having to use a shuttle service to get to the main hub this is for you!
All I can say is that people have different expectations of what they want their stay to be like and to what standards, I myself am quite fussy and LOVE LOVE LOVE it here!

Room Tip: They have the Pura bar above the reception open from 8.00am - 10.00pm and service great real coffee...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I booked this place on Hotwire, so I had totally no idea what hotel I was getting until I paid. It says 4.5 stars in the Nusa Dua area, and it was NOT good.

We landed at 10pm, and the location of the hotel is in the middle of nowhere. It's nowhere close to the other resorts in Nusa Dua (think St. Regis, Bale, etc). It's literally a 40 min drive from the airport with no traffic. There is no beach front, you can forget it as it's in the middle of a field.

Anyway, we were very hungry after landing, having not eaten on the flight at all. We checked in at 11pm and called the front desk for room service. They were CLOSED. How can you not have 24 hour room service and call yourself a 4 star resort?

We looked into the fridge, there was nothing. There is a small menu and price list for "nuts", but there were no nuts to be found, or soft drinks, anything. The whole room is really dark, so you can't really focus on how crappy the place is. The chandelier on top of the bed has 2 legs about to fall off, the wall has cracks and the travertine floors are not sealed properly. The air conditioning is a fail.

We read other people's reviews about the green pools (unhygenic), so we never bothered to jump into the pool at night since nothing could be seen.

Since we checked in at 10pm, I asked for a late check out. Perhaps 1pm or 2pm so I could sleep in? NO. It wasn't available. They advised me to leave my luggage at the front desk and use the facilities on their miserable resort as there was someone checking in right after me. Seriously? Into my villa when there are so many other villas available?

Last but not least, the toothpaste was unsealed. The cap of the toothpaste has a sharp edge to poke into the tube, but no poking was necessary.. I hope they do not reuse their toothpaste.

I am also wondering, if this place gets consistently bad reviews, how can their total average be 4 out of 5? There is some gimmick going on.

The hotel villa was very big, it seems like the kind of place that college people would crash in. Avoid.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Read reviews about the inaccessibility of this resort and we were pretty worried about finding our way there. Though the resort offers Airport Transfer upon arrival, they charge US$15nett/car/way.

We decided to make use of the free hotel transfer of Rumah Spa (landed at airport, proceeded to spa for our treatment, after treatment they transferred us to Nusa Dua Retreat and Spa).

We arrived round 6ish in the evening and it was a long drive in to where the resort was situated (all we could see was darkness & bushes), even the spa driver got lost for abit. True to what reviews said. There were no amenities or restaurant or minimarts whatsoever around the restaurant because the resort is in the middle of no where.

Check-in was a breeze and the staff are all courteous and friendly, fantastic service. Buggy drove us to where our villa was, room number 126. Once the staff opened the villa's sliding door, the interior of the villa just blew us away! Very spacious and lovely interior!

Resort offers free transfer to Padawa beach (drop off & pick up), Bali collection (drop off & pick up) as well as Discovery Mall Kuta (drop off only).

Villa has complete facilities, kitchen, bathroom etc. The buffet breakfast spread was very limited, and it is understandably so as the resort was only 50% occupied despite the Easter holidays.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I heard rave reviews about this place and decided to book a relaxing trip for my bf and I. Booked directly with the resort for the honeymoon package - the airport transfers, daily breakfast, 1 candle light dinner, and 1 lunch, 2 x 2 hr massage included.

First impression of the resort was good as the driver was already holding a BIG placard when we exited the customs so that was really reassuring. The service staff was excellent during our stay though sometimes we had some communication issues due to language.

Getting around the resort is relatively easy. There is always buggy service, but if you are in your villa, you need to call reception to check its availability. We stayed in the Grand Deluxe villa which was located in the next block/building. To get there, you need to either get the buggy to drive there, or just walk there on foot from the main entrance. I would say as you will be walking along a road with vehicles coming both ways, this might not be so safe if you are vacationing with your kids.

The villa itself needs some fixing, there were cracks everywhere (tho I don't think you can see them in my pics). We were shown a 'working kitchen' and that 'you can cook if you so wish', but there were not pots or pan to cook with. In the drawer, only a couple of spoons and 1 precious fork. No kettle to boil water though i improvised with the coffee maker. Btw, there was no coffee powder to brew any coffee either. Only instant coffee and some tea bags. A fruit bowl was a nice touch.

The private pool is nice tho the water sprouts on the wall were not working. Do note that if you have other guests staying next to you, they might see your private pool if they walked to the edge of the upper deck :P I knew coz thats how I found out how green the pool next to ours was.

Do note that while the bathroom was huge, the toilet bowl was located just beside the door next to the pool, there was not privacy shield except a low wall. This might be a problem if you are with friends. One can see your legs sticking out when standing in the living room. Also, you cannot have total privacy when you are in the bathroom as the huge doors are only partially covered with curtains.

Bedsheets had a smell, can't put a finger on it.. but definitely not FRESH LAUNDRY smell. We were there when housekeeping came and I saw there was a HUGE stain on the mattress when they lifted the bedsheets.. YUCK. I didn't want to know what KIND of stain that was.

Our villa was amongst a row of villas in the next block from the main building. Between these rows of villas and the main building (where the main recept, other facilities are), there was a gap where some motorbikes were parked on a dirt road. My bf said it would not be difficult to climb up those walls and get into the villas.. that freaked me out a little considering one could climb up the walls on the outside to the upper floors, come down the stairs, and enter the villa (no lock on the door which separates the bathroom and the pool/ stairs to the upper floor)

In general, facilities in the resort are old, the fabric on billiard table torn. Wifi was not detectable in our villa, the only stable connection we could get wifi was at the restaurant we had our daily breakfasts. Wifi at the main reception was intermittently on and off. Ooooh the suspense..

The food in the resort was really nothing to shout home about... breakfast was ok, the free lunch was tough satay with hard rice and crackers past their expiry date. We went to the pure bar just a floor up from the main reception and it took them an hour to serve us food. They later told us the reason was because food was prepared in another place so we had to wait longer. So guys, better ask where lunch was served to minimize your hunger pangs.

The candle light dinner was held at our villa and it was better, barrumundi was nice, couldn't remember the other dish so I guess that wasn't as delicious :P dessert was my favourite, think it was some mousse with jelly which we chilled in the freezer. The dinning room was set up really nice with a candle except it was not lit :S They also had 2 guys come lit up our pool with candles (but not the candle on our table lol) and draw the curtains for the night. The 2nd night the guys came to draw the curtains but no candles. My bf had to ask for them :S You should too if you want to swim in the pool later.

You need transport as the resort was not close to anywhere. There were free shuttle service which you could made use of but sometimes you have to wait for the next timing as each vehicle is only up to 6 guests max. One time we were told might be a problem when there were suppose to be a drop off to the airport at the time of the shuttle. I find it strange because there were obviously 2 more vehicles parked in the compound.

Anyway, we checked out the nearby beach (the driver took us to pandawa beach?) and the water was not very clean. The beach near the bali collection was much much better. Bali collection is a factory outlet/shopping area which we felt was overrated as well. Discovery mall in Kuta was much better.

All in all, the resort did not warrant the price we paid for. But the service staff was always so courteous and helpful which somewhat made up for it. Visit only IF there is a BIG discount.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days which included being here over the bali festival of silence day which falls on 12th march.

We were warmly greeted when we arrived and our first impressions were good. We were taken to our villa with our luggage with a golf buggy and given a brief tour of the grounds on the way.

The grounds were not as ud expect for a retreat nothing really special about them the odd flower and bit of greenery with very cobbled streets (no good for pushchairs or wheelchairs).

Our villa - was lovely, kitchen area, lounge, bedroom and bathroom. Bathroom complete with extra shower and bath. Tv above the bath a nice touch but not necessary for a 4 star rated place. Besides no joke the bath took atkeast an hour to run to a decent level and the water that came out the taps for the bath, sinks and shower never ran hot only luke warm :(

Pool was lovely and a real bonus only downside nowhere to I bathe or put a chair by pool there is a sun terrace on top but up quite a few steps. Up on the sun terrace is two sun lounges and a little seating area - the furniture up there though is discussing, particularly the seating area - all dirty you wouldn't want so up there. Also net curtains were filthy. Curtains in rooms are difficult to shut and don't keep light out so each morning we were woken when sun rised, better thicker curtains needed, especially in bedroom.

Bedroom lovely and DVD player in bedroom an lounge. You can borrow DVDs free to watch although 2 out of the 3 DVDs (sky fall and click) we chose to watch didn't work and stopped half way through films - very annoying!

Staff were always so helpful.

Because it was low season we went for dinner at the restaurant on first night and were only people there. Soup and garlic bread was good a was my boyfriends chicken, my barramundi - fish of the day was not good though! You had to cut the fish like it was meat :( also drinks were double price in the restaurant. Compared to the pure bar, even though the drinks are made at the pure bar and just brought over.

To be honest the food and as we call the food saga was a bit of a nightmare on our 2nd day the menu changed to just 2 pages consisting of a couple salads, some sandwiches and 3 main courses; 2 were chicken, 1 beef. We appreciate the reduced menu was inflight of the festival but it was too reduced if you ask me. The 2nd night our meals were wrong we were offered free juice though.

The 3rd day silence day we were served dinner in our villa. Initially we were told this was free and selected off a menu then was told it wasn't an had choose of another (the 2 page menu) so chicken again!!! All this hassle on day 3 meant we were constantly interrupted all afternoon and couldn't relax on silence day. We were offered apologise and 2 free cokes.

Complimentary tea and cake available every Afternoon this was good.

As for breakfast an utter disappointment. Food very limited to toast, vegetables, noodles and a bit of egg. No variety at all, totally not acceptable for 4 stars. On day 3 at breakfast there was 4 staff and 4 sets couple inc us I had to ask for cutlery, tea, water an Ben a plate as they'd run out etc. these things that should been catered for. also on this day even by 8.30 when we came to breakfast little food was left.

No option for breakfast in villa and room service menu very limited

Spa was ok we had a complimentary 15 min massage which want too enjoyable - quite rough and wasn't asked how pressure was so just endured it as only 15 mins was done in I comfy chairs fully clothed.

Criminal pool looked nice though didn't use a had villa pool.

Free gutles to Bali collection and beach are well worth taking. Beach is lovely :)

Pool table very worn; cues don't work and table all split again not 4 star.

Generally not in the slightest 4 stars but an ok place today. Nothing near by so you have to eat at the hotel

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We had a stunning townhouse villa and it was magic.
All round this was such a great choice. You're hidden away from everything and everyone. It's a but of a trek to get there and don't try to remember the route as you WILL get lost. We weren't sure if we were being stolen and taken to ransom when we arrived at night but on arrival and the next morning were loving every second.
Getting into Seminyak is a nightmare but it's still worth staying there. Food was great. The milk bath in a copper tub after a magic massage was fantastic too. You will live this one as long as you can handle the distance to Seminyak and aren't in a rush!

• Stayed March 2012
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Four of us enjoyed several days here and found it to be a very relaxing enjoyable retreat. The butler introduced himself as we walked into the room and indicated he would be available to get us whatever anytime day or night. Our balcony was perfect as was the pool and we seemed to be the only people enjoying the pool in off season of late January. The food was excellent with a great choice on the menu and buffet breakfast. I wouldl not hesitate to recommend this to anyone. It also appeared to be very child friendly...family oriented..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Nusa Dua Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!