“Perfect escape for a couple” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nusa Dua Retreat and Spa

You added Nusa Dua Retreat and Spa to your Saves list
Nusa Dua Retreat and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   JL.Melasti II No 88, Kutuh Nusa Dua, Nusa Dua, Bali 80363, Indonesia   |
Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in Nusa Dua
“Perfect escape for a couple”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I went their last year with my friend. We had one of the best experiences in his hotel. The rooms are huge with exquisite interiors. From the bed to the curtains everything was perfect. Private pool a d a terrace with barbecue facilties added up to the charm. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2012

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were here for 7 days. What an experience!! Very good but with lots of problems. Wonderful villa, spacious, comfortable, excellent pool (sometimes) and very attentive staff. Problems, well, we changed villa once because the pool turned green. On arrival there was no gas connected for the kitchen, or plates, pans or utensils. And look closely and lots of small problems with tired sun beds, ripped sun bed covers and not too clean areas on the roof spaces. Oh, and one of the reasons for booking here was their fitness centre - which was closed for refurbishment!!
But the staff were first class, the reception, restaurant and driving staff could not have been better, really attentive and helpful. And one hidden gem - the secret beach, just a five minute ride down the hill, or a 20 minute walk if you can manage the hill coming back.
An unusual experience, and I would return in the future.

Room Tip: well if one is bad, then complain and they will move you. But they are all huge. The pool area is...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The Nusa Dua Retreat and Spa is absolutely fantastic.The service is top class. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Eating in is very reasonably priced. The location was great with free shuttles to and from the beach. There is a shuttle to and from Kuta and the Retreat is an ideal place to retreat to away from the noise and chaos of Kuta. We were picked up from the airport and also taken back. I would highly recommend the Nusa Dua Retreat and Spa and plan on going back again next year. It was truly a magical experience.
Colleen - Perth Western Australia

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Trieste, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I bought a deal on Groupon. I bought a separate flight. I tried to confirm and reconfirm with the hotel staff my reservation, and i left to Bali. During the stopover in Seoul i received an email that reservation was cancelled due to missing payment from tour operator. I spoke with staff at the hotel and they told me that I could have paid again the stay. And no other words.
I felt really uncomfortable and tried to speak with the manager. But they were strict on it. If i wanted to stay, i had to pay again.
I know it was a fault of the tour operator, but i called them several times, and at least i sent emails and what'sup messenger messages in order to confirm and reconfirm and reconfirm several times that everything was right.
Sorry, you could have told me before that there were such problems.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

For those who want to relax, chill and do no shopping, drinking or surfing.. This is a perfect getaway for you. We got the villa from the groupon deal. I must admit that the experience with Villa Indonesia is crap. They are totally not professional, slow in their reply, each and every staffs promise different things to you when they cannot even be sure they can deliver that. But I am glad, everything turn out well & we manage to get the date we wanted for the vacation. The villa is an hour drive from Kuta, no restaurant nearby. But there is a bus shuttle provided to the nearest shopping mall at fixed timing everyday.

The staff is very helpful at the reception to arrange for our driver for the 1-day tour, especially when the person-in-charge (Villa Indonesia personnel) is not contactable at all. Buggy is provided to send us to our villa. Villa wise, we got the one without the sun roof. There are 3 types of villa, FYI. The villa is huge. Pool is rather clean and there is a water dispenser in the villa itself. There is nothing to fault about the villa. Rental of DVDs is available at the reception.

We arranged for our dinner & breakfast to be served in our villa. The staff arrived on the dot at the timing we arranged earlier at the reception. This is unlike the other villas we visited when we need to call at least twice before our food arrived.

All-in-all, it has been a pleasant stay at the Villa.

Room Tip: I prefer the villa without a sunroof, looks cosier and the water in the pool looks cleaner as well
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor we were really expecting the worst for our stay here. Upon arrival though we were pleasantly suprised with the property. While we were disappointed that we didn't get an upstairs pool area, the villas were huge, and generally well maintained. Our villa was clean however in need of some general maintenance, and the pool while not spotless as you would expect for a 5 star resort, was clean enough to swim in. We didn't put our heads under though. The breakfast was ok, but again not what you would expect for a 5 star resort, and by the 5th day you are well and truly over the selection on offer. The included dinner was also average, and the one day tour was again not what we expected. We got a driver who didn't speak english and so a tour guide accompanied us. It wasn't the day we had planned but more of a tour of the island, taking us to the typical touristy areas, and places where they received commission. They were also running over half an hour late and we were told we needed to be back by 6pm despite starting at 10. The shuttle buses were good however the bus into Kuta could be improved as there are only 2, one at 9.30am and another at 2pm with no pick-up. There is also a limit to the number of people that can fit in the shuttle (7) so if it fills up, you'll have to find your own way as they don't offer a second shuttle. Cabs were however easy to get and once we had learned our way back it was easy to explain to the cab drivers, as well as showing them the map on the back of the business card. The beach down the road is also nothing to write home about.
The 2 hour spa package was AMAZING, one of the best massages we have ever had. The beds in the room were also super comfy!

If you are after a quiet place to stay, then this place is ok, but very far from everything, and not the 5 star resort it claims to be. I would say more of a 3.5 star.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Queensland. Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

After having read some of the mixed reviews, I must say that I checked in fully prepared to leave and go the Courtyard by Marriott in Nusa Dua if some of the reviews proved to materialise - but I must say that we were very pleasantly surprised. We stayed 24th March for 4 nights. The Retreat is located about 15 minutes from Nusa Dua, literally in the middle of nowhere, but hey...I'm sure that's what a RETREAT is all about. They have a free shuttle service to Nusa Dua and Kuta if the times suit you, but cabs are but a phone call away and a taxi is only about $4 on the meter into Nusa Dua anytime you like. Just allow 15 minutes for them to arrive.
We were using a 4 night 'Spreets' deal from the net and the check in was reasonable quick & easy and we were duly whisked away to our Villa (No. 115) in a golf buggy. Our first impression of the Villa was ...............WOW! We had a full Kitchen and were told we could cook our own meals if we liked (yeah right...I'm on holidays!), a dining table, living room with big screen TV and DVD, a beautiful bedroom with a King bed and it was decorated with a love heart marked out in petals on the bedspread. The bedroom of course had a big screen TV as well. The Ensuite was huge, complete with a rainhead shower and big tiled bath. Over the bath was another big TV making 3 in total. Marble floors throughout looked beautiful. The Villa is designed around your own private pool, and I mean pool....not just a small plunge type. Upstairs we had our own rooftop deck - huge, with day bed, outdoor setting, sunlounges and a BBQ. The staff were wonderful, the spa was great and the restuarant was more than acceptable although breakfast was a little unusual in that you have to fill out a form with the supplied pencil and tick off what you wanted to order - bit like filling in the meal form on an airline. You had the impression that you had the place all to your self, as we probably only saw half a dozen other guests during our stay. We had breakfast on our own a couple of times in the restuarant and whilst we only had dinner there one night, there was only one other couple in the restuarant. I don't know what their occupancy rate was? The bar above Reception was deserted each time I went by.
OK, sounds great so far, so where is the poor execution you ask?
The complex has an unusal paving system laid around it which consisted of hollow concrete pavers filled with soil and grass grown on top. Many of these are not filled properly and walking around the place was difficult for someone with smaller feet (like the wife) and she was constantly scared of spraining an ankle as she slipped into the holes. Our Villas construction could only be descibed as poor - the front glass panel next to the front door had a huge crack in it, the ceilings had numerous water stains obviously from the deck above leaking, the Kitchen we were to cook in, had no pots / pans / utensils whatsoever - in fact there was no gas connection to the cooktop at all - the hose was just laying in the cupboard. There is water penetration in the walls of the Kitchen with bubbling in the wall, the Kitchen cupboard doors don't line up (not even close), there is an electrical cable tacked along the skirting in the kitchen and it goes under the drawers with no conduit protection at all - only a matter of time before someone gets electrocuted. The kitchen sink is not clipped in - it just sits in the hole, held in place by the tap. The vanity unit in the bathroom was so low, that I brushed my teeth whilst on my knees. The pool has three little waterfall features, one of which had fallen off and the other two didn't work. The pool filter ran 24/7 and was sucking air and blowing it into the pool making a noise. The rooftop deck has loose and cracked tiles all over the place. The resort is promoted as new, staff say maybe 2 years, but the overall impression you get looking at the exterior, is that it is 10 years old, and that it is in need of repainting. If you touch an external wall with your hand, the white paint comes off on your hand - bit like leaning on a blackboard with chalk all over it. The breakfast ordering system is unusual, the gym doesn't open till 9am and a Bintang beer costs an astounding 50,000Rp - double the cost of any restuarant in Nusa Dua or any other bar / resort that I have stayed in in Bali - and I've been in a few!
So they are the facts.
Would I stay there again? Well, if I had a Spreets deal again...............absolutely, it was great value for the money - but if I had to stay there at full rate, I seriouly doubt it. The Westin or Marriott to my way of thinking would represent far better value.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nusa Dua Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!