“Lovely Stay, would come again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of J Boutique Hotel

You added J Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
J Boutique Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Kartika Plaza No. 20 | Bali, Kuta, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #109 of 181 Hotels in Kuta
Poole, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay, would come again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Myself, my sister, parents and my 2 year old stayed here for 8 nights recently.

Airport Transfer and Check In
Our driver met us at the airport, and was very friendly and happy to help us with our luggage. The van they used to drive us to our hotel (literally just 5-10 minutes from the airport) was very luxurious and comfortable. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with a fruit juice on arrival, however I would suggest to the hotel that they serve this as cold as possible rather than luke warm, but it was refreshing anyway. Check in took around 20 minutes, and they asked for a deposit of 500,000 cash ($50) for both rooms.

The Room
The bedrooms were clean and comfortable. We stayed in rooms 368 and 370 which were on the 3rd floor overlooking the main road. Surprisingly there was very little noise from the street, you could only just hear cars honking occasionally, and very rarely at night. There were some cosmetic issues such as patchy ceiling and some skirting boards were cracked or missing, but that didn't affect our stay. There was lots of space near the window that had a small coffee table and 2 chairs, but a couch or a daybed along one of the bare walls would have been brilliant. Block out curtains were great, and there was a safe in the room along with mirrored closet doors, tea and coffee facilities, dvd player, tv which had loads of channels for surfing at night. The bed was a little hard, but the linen was changed every day and housekeeping brought us 3 extra pillows as we also had a 2 year old in our bed. After the first evening they noted that we had called for an extra towel and so left us 3 fresh hot towels every day, however we didn't get these until the afternoon due to them being taken away to be laundered. In room 368 the airconditioning was refrigerative and very effective. In room 370 my parents had it on the exact same settings but it was more humid in their room and they had the occasional smell of the sewers waft through which was unpleasant. The bathrooms were a good size, with phones also provided, with the showers having detachable heads and very good pressure. The bathroom amenities were replaced every day, and there was 2 bottles of water provided every day. We found that the bar fridge was good for storing our own water and drinks (we emptied both of the mini-bar facilities and stocked it ourselves from the Circle K across the road) and kept them cold, but the tiny freezer inside it didn't even freeze the water in the provided ice cube trays.
Housekeeping and room service would answer usually within 4-5 rings, however some of the staff didn't speak very good english. We found out they don't charge a Tray or Service Charge for bringing your room service drinks and food up, and really recommend the mocktails at 35,000 ($3.50) and fresh juices on the menu. The only problem I found with the room was that my 2 year old could open the main door from the inside, and there was no security chain or locking mechanism for me to stop him. We also noted that if you were wheelchair bound or disabled you would have no luck getting to our rooms as there were stairs between the lifts and the rooms which was a little inconvenient with a pram.

The Restaurant and Bar
The hotel restaurant The Bellagio was very clean and the staff were brilliant, tirelessly entertaining my 2 year old son and always had a smile for us no matter what the request. We found the breakfast to be very filling, and had a great selection of juice, coffee, tea, croissants, toast station, egg station (where they would make fresh eggs and bacon by request for you), and a buffet station with Indonesian style foods. The dinner we had the first night had a lot to be desired, with some of the dishes we ordered being luke warm, with the kids fish and chips coming out soggy. At 720,000 ($72) we felt very disappointed). We had dinner there twice more at 700,000 ($70) and 350,000 ($35), and found that the less we ordered from the Western section and the more we ordered from the Indonesian section, the food was better, cheaper and hotter. We also ate around the corner at SA Cafe, which was approx 5-10 minute walk away and we spent approx $15 per person there including drinks. The free 3 course dinner that came with our stay at The Bellagio was really good, and they let us mix and match between the dishes on the 3 set menus. They nailed the Fettuccine Cabonara and the Tomato Soup!
The only bar is an outdoor one, facing the road (underneath our windows). There is a nice upstairs area which is a little more private, however most guests chose to sit and listen to the duet that was usually playing in the evening. The bar is open until very late and room service is 24/7. The only thing that put us off was that the bar and the lobby were not smoke-free. I would recommend that the hotel look at turning their Wine Lounge into a bar area, as it was very luxurious looking but you couldn't order anything from there as it was set up for wine tasting only. The restaurant staff won my family over, especially the bar staff.

The Spa and Pool
The rooftop "Sky Pool" was lovely, however we rarely saw the bar open as we were out during the day. The signs say the pool and jacuzzi close at 6pm, however it was always open for guests to use at any time. One night we were there from 10pm-midnight and we weren't prevented from using it. It was stunning at night, watching planes take off, and the noise from the street was barely heard. The only problem was that the staff take the pool towels and day-bed cushions away at night (fair enough). It would have been nice for the roof to have a better view of the ocean, but that was obstructed by other hotels and the view down to the street showed mainly construction sites and some markets down the side street. This is also the street that leads down the the beach, some 10-15 minutes walk away. We found the stall holders weren't very aggressive during the day, and once they started recognising us they mainly left us alone. The pool was very clean, and had a swim up seating area, but not a swim up bar. It would be good for larger gatherings of people, and the sun seats were really comfortable. We managed to get drinks service one day, and it was nice to relax up there with a cocktail or two.
We found that it would be very difficult to get up to the pool and day spa area if you were disabled or wheelchair bound, as the lifts only go up to level 4, and then you have to go up a corridor and a flight of stairs to get to the spa, and another set of stairs again to the pool. It was a lovely area, but getting to it was somewhat tiring with a 2 year old in tow.
The spa was sensational, and very well priced for a hotel spa. I got a 60 minute massage and body wrap for 110,000rh ($11) and there were specials for a 60 minute massage for just 99,000rh ($9) and a 60 minute mani/pedi for the same. I would definitely recommend the spa again, especially since I preferred to stay at the hotel for treatments and wasn't keen on going to one of the many market masseurs. There were places on the surrounding streets for $3.50-$7.50 for massages, however I found the girls in the hotel to be very sweet and kind, especially Mia, who I would go back just for her face and head massage (she put me to sleep). One of the girls spent extra time to get my french tips perfect, which the painted on by hand. Wonderful treatments and worth the extra stairs!

The Neighbourhood
We found it to be very sparce of travellers, I suppose it was because it was very close to the airport and most of them would be going up to the Main Beach of Kuta. The road was always very busy due to being the main road from the airport with all the major hotels on it. We discovered a Hypermart at the LippoMall which was literally 5 minutes walk up the road and there was also a stunning Japanese bakery which was constantly pushing out fresh sweet pastry and bread. The Hypermart had everything from fridges to fresh fruit and yogurt, and we were glad to have found it.
Seriously be aware of the sidewalks. They were being pulled up and replaced when we were there, and they were hazardous and some of the manholes were completely open to the drainage systems below. Lots of the tiles were broken, and are VERY slippery when wet, which I found out when I slipped and fell whilst I had my 2 year old in my arms. We went up to Centro Mall and visited a large market there called Bamboo. It was nice to shop and browse without being hounded and we made several purchases there that we found were cheaper than at the markets themselves. One thing we noted was the A&W fast food store was very much like KFC in Australia, but all my Dad was interested in was the coffee shakes as it was more like an Aussie Iced Coffee (rather than the Balinese version, being peculated coffee with ice in it). We caught a taxi there one evening as we were fairly tired from a long day and it came to 20,000rh ($2), however when we wanted to go back to the hotel it was raining and so we were to be charged between 50,000 ($5) and 75,000 ($7.50). We went all the way up into Kuta (40 minutes walk), and went looking for the Hard Rock Hotel, which once we looked at the menu was too overpriced anyway. We were happy with one of the smaller restaurants and looked at Madahari whilst we were there. Honestly I preferred Centros market as the goods were the same and the prices were better at Centro.
On the first day we got a round of cocktails at Febris Hotel (pina coladas) which was about 1km up the road, and they were awful and tasted like straight alcohol. I drank half of mine quite quickly before I realised as it was so cool and refreshing, but then I felt so ill and intoxicated within 5 minutes that I went straight back to J Boutique and made myself sick. Be aware of where you drink as we could see the barmen at Febris scratching their heads whilst trying to work out how to make them. All drinks we got at J Boutique were wonderful, especially the Belly Buster Juice.

Check Out
There was a mix up with our deposit on our rooms and we had a little trouble checking out as one guest attendant on the desk couldn't work out what the girl had done the day before (as we had paid our accounts in full the previous day). It felt like they were accusing us of trying to leave without paying, however things were sorted out quite quickly once they worked out what had happened. What we didn't appreciate was the feeling of being held hostage as they would not begin loading our luggage to go to the airport until that last detail was sorted out (again, fair enough, but a little rude by the staff on check in to get their wires unfairly crossed and make out that we were trying to skip out on them). We just made our flight check in on time due to this misunderstanding.

Would I recommend this hotel to my friends and family?
Yes I definitely would recommend this hotel to stay in again, however not to the elderly/disabled wanting somewhere to relax in the day-spa or by the pool due to the stairs.

Room Tip: Room 368 had a very good A/C, Room 370 not so much. If you have a disability or problems with stair...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We booked a 7 nights deal through Scoopon which was great value but I guess we may have been expecting too much compared to what we have experienced in Bali before. Right from the airport transfer, we had to wait about 20 minutes for the transport to arrive, when it did, there were 6 people waiting and only 5 seats, so we had to wait another 15 minutes for another vehicle. The staff were okay but not overly friendly like other places in Bali. The bathroom was in major need of renovation and the room was okay. The pool area seemed quite rundown as well, there was music pumping but the bar was closed. Although our package was for 7 nights, we ended up moving after our first night because we did not feel comfortable. We paid an additional $750AUD to move to another hotel which was a lot better and well worth the money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

J Boutique was recommended to me by a friend who has stayed many times. The J Boutique service commences at the airport with free hotel transfers followed by speedy check in/out and its off upstairs to the room. Rooms are reasonably spacious, comfortable, and the decor is as pictured on hotel website although starting to show signs of wear & tear in places. Free wifi is fast and easily accessible. Roof top pool & bar area has great views and is a pleasant place to spend a few hours...only complaint was that our family felt that the music played was excessively loud on several occasions. Breakfast selection is adequate and the restaurant service is reasonable. J Boutique is certainly not a resort with all the facilities offered at a resort but it is a friendly, comfortable, clean, 3-star hotel located 5 mins from the airport and centrally located at the bottom of Kartika Plaza Rd in Tuban. Its about a 15 min walk up to Discovery, Waterbom, Bubba Gump Shrimp, Kuta Square etc. There is a mini-mart, money-changer and a laundry a few metres away over the road, Gado-Gado restaurant is nearby which serves good food and for a GREAT family meal...try Pepito back over towards the airport...there's a largish supermarket here as well if you want to get groceries too! The beach is 5mins walk around the corner...just behind the Holiday Inn and street stall style shopping is on the same side of the street 5mins up along Kartika Plaza Rd down a side alley. I reckon you could even request a free lift from the hotel shuttle buses up to Kuta Sq if the concierge guys arent busy and you ask nicely enough. We stayed in 2 inter-connecting rooms on a high floor...one deluxe room for adults, a standard room for the kids. A/C in the kids room didnt work all that well but has probably been rectified since then. Overall, our family enjoyed our 2 week stay at J Boutique and would happily return again. Many thanks to Eko and the team at J Boutique for an enjoyable stay :-)

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors facing Kartika Plaza Rd
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Eko P, General Manager at J Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Vance,

We have read your recent comment telling to others via our tripadvisor's page about your recent visit at J Boutique Hotel. We really appreciate your feedback and critics for our continues improvement. You have shared some important details of what you have experienced during your stay with us, I am sure your notes would be so much valuable for our future guests to learn from you, Vance.

We are glad to hear that our services meet your expectations though with some notes for improvements. Once again, thank you so much for your fair recommendations. We truly value your input.

We hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back again to Bali, someday.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at J Boutique Hotel for 3 days with a Scoopon offer. I was going to book longer but wasn't sure what it would have been like. I would have loved to spend my whole stay there.

Without doubt the best bit is the sky pool- the rooftop swimming pool. With a glass wall on 3 sides, you can look out over the rooftops towards the airport at the beach and watch the planes taking off soundlessly just in front of you. The sun lounges are the most comfy that I had tried and it it's so incredibly peaceful up there. The sunsets in the evening by the pool are gorgeous.

The hotel is very modern and fancy - no trace of traditional Bali here. Think black and white and French provincial styling. But is is gorgeous. The rooms are huge, the beds are huge, the pillows like soft clouds. Large wardrobe with mirrored doors, safety deposit box, fridge, aircond, tea making facilities, huge tv, DVD player and shelf to put suitcase on. Heavy blockout curtains to block the sun and light. It even has a lift - although this only goes to the4th floor and you still have 2 flights of stairs to climb to the pool deck. Bathroom is nice, although water pressure is a bit weak, it's a bit of a struggle to wash long hair. Shower with free standing screen, no bath. Lobby is massive and there is a lift lobby on each floor with chairs and tables, in case you want to sit in the lobby. Doorbell for each room and a peephole in the door to checkout visitors. The place is scrupulously clean.

It was only about 5 minutes from the airport so that means that it is a little further out. It is a good 20-25 minutes walk into Kuta but taxis are plentiful and it's only around 20,000 rp $2aus each way. There is a spa place in the hotel but if you go out the front door, turn right, around the corner and down about 40m there is a really good spa place which you can see from the roof top pool. This is less than half the price of the hotel and very good.

Breakfasts are very good. Several types of cereals and juices, full salad bar, rice, noodles, several different types of veggies, sausages, an egg station or you can ask for any type of eggs you want. Grilled bacon is available if you ask and is very good. Fresh fruit, toast and croissants. Rice porridge and accompaniments basically everything that you could want and you can eat in the dining room or outside inthe fresh air. The dining room is great as it is no smoking.

All in all a 5 star stay. One tiny complaint is no clock in the room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Eko P, General Manager at J Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Cazzle62,

WAOOW!!.. that is a very simple word that came out from us, to hear such very solid positive feedback from you. We indeed appreciated much of your comment that you have shared.

We are very happy to hear that you have such beautiful experience while staying with us.

If we may re-quote your comments here "Without doubt the best bit is the sky pool- the rooftop swimming pool. With a glass wall on 3 sides, you can look out over the rooftops towards the airport at the beach and watch the planes taking off soundlessly just in front of you. The sun lounges are the most comfy that I had tried and it it's so incredibly peaceful up there. The sunsets in the evening by the pool are gorgeous" We did use a lot of our SKYPool to be our signature outlet spot for all our commercials, we have more confident after reading your feedback above.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again as our very special guest, do let us know if you have any plan in coming back to enjoy another Bali Holiday.

Traralgon, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We spent a week here and found it quite a good spot and reasonable, suited our needs, just out of the real bustle and hustle of Kuta but close to a couple of small supermarkets and eating places. One eating place we enjoyed a few times just across the road was WARUNG SEGARRR, Try it for a very good priced meal. The staff were helpfull and friendly. Our room was quite adequate , clean and well serviced each day. The rooftop pool and bar was nice but very little shade up there from the sun so you need to pick your time to spend up there.There is also a massage place near the pool which seems to be manned all day. Nice foyer area with plenty of seating and complimentary computer and a nice touch was that each floor level had a foyer area with seating. Plenty of taxis just around the corner and very close to the airport which was very handy as the traffic was bedlam at times but we heard no traffic noise in the hotel About a ten minute walk into the main shopping area and similar to the beach. The shower water was only just warm which is ok for their warm weather but if you liked a hot shower you would be disappointed. We actually visited two other places overnight while staying there and just left all our gear there which we had no problem with, felt safe.
Summing up good spot, good value, clean and suited our needs while in Kuta.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Roy V,

We have read details of your feedback that you have shared on our TripAdvisor landing page. We truly appreciate your comments. We take notes some important follow up that includes; additional shades on our SKYPool outdoor swimming pool and small fix on our water heating temperature. We did set different temperatures to match with weather conditions in Bali. As during April to November normally Kuta, Bali is very hot (32'C - 40' C) not only warm, therefore the water heat temperature was reduce a bit to balance the weather conditions.

We are however glad to learn that you considered our location was very convenient to the airport, beaches, eatery places, and other grocery spots that you found it useful during your stay with us. We are also happy that you feel our staff has done a good job in delivering our services.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcoming you back again soon.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

J Boutique is conveniently located near eateries within 5 minutes walking distance where local Indonesian dishes can be found. Located opposite, there is a K Circle mart with foreign exchange service available.

The roof top pool is very beautiful and rooms are spacious - beautiful sunset from the roof top pool. Furniture is a bit worn out and need to do up a bit of refurbishment. Bed is old and the bed seet and pillow cases have turned yellowish (not pure white). Aircon did not work very well.

Breakfast variety is limited but tasty. The staffs are very attentive and they are friendly people. They greet you whenever they pass by you.Taxi Service via hotel limo is chargeable at IDR50,000 where normal taxi cost IDR35,000 to the airport located just 7 minutes from J Boutique.

Overall, very nice and beautiful.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room near lift lobby because it can be noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JanetSingapore,

Thank you so much to have shared your genuine feedback about us on our TripAdvisor landing page. We have take note some important things for our follow up these include the AC in the room where you consider was not working quite properly and the furniture refurbishment, it is indeed on our daily progress in maintaining the FF&E in our all our guest rooms.

We are happy to also learn from you that you consider our staff friendly and attentive to serve you during your stay. We always focus on this area as one of our key performance that set us different from others.

We hope that we still have the opportunity to welcome you back again to staying with us. Let us know if there's anything we could do better.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Imagine this...u step out for a family holiday with a infant...u want a peaceful place ...airy bright breezy for your break...if you want this basic, avoid this place...
We went here last year, full of expectations from the photographs we saw on the website. On the outside it was neat, nice hotel. Small, yet modern. We got a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor,so far so good. It even had a huge window. Guess what, pull the curtains and it was a wall. A room, sans a window? Ive never stayed in those in my 12 years of travelling. Why the window curtain if there was no window. I tried reasoning with the front desk. They said all rooms full, though there were vacant rooms. Couple that with a corridor full of smokers and my kid without ventilation had a tough time. Luckily my wife had plans to roam around a lot, and when i say a lot, i mean A LOT, so we spent bare minimum time at hotel. Breakfast was ok ok. Not much choice if u don't like seafood.My advice, avoid it...feel bad saying it as the staffs nice

Room Tip: ask for a room that has a REAL WINDOW.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Siddharthsahi,

If we could name our respond on this forum, perhaps we will choose "SORRY, SORRY, SORRY"... We deeply sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience staying with us during your family holiday. We have to admit, that we did have some rooms facing to the wall side instead of city view.

Only when the rooms are available, we will always prioritize city view rooms to all our guests. Unfortunately during peak seasons (October - APEC 2013 Conference in Bali) it's very difficult for us to please each and every single guests in our hotel due to the limited numbers of city view rooms.

If only we have another opportunity to gain your confidence back, we would be more then happy to give you an upgrade to our best room to compensate your bad experience.

Once again, thank you for letting us know your feedback genuinely. We also take note from your small portion of satisfaction about our staff services. Indeed it still bring some smile on our face.

The Management

Been to J Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!