“Love this place!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 194 Hotels in Kuta
western australia
“Love this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have stayed at this place a few times and have loved it. Close to all the shopping and restaurants it's a little oasis in the heart of the hustle and bustle of Kuta. The staff are just so lovely and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are fairly basic but CLEAN and comfortable and the cocktails at the swim up bar are fantastic. While you can hear the faint doof doof of the night clubs on some nights it really has had no effect on my husband or myself when sleeping. I just recently got back from Bali and unfortunately stayed at another hotel on Legian beach which had been booked by friends and it was not a patch on this hotel. I'm planning my next visit for later in the year and I will be booking the Niche.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Indonesian first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Great location, right in the middle of all the Legian shops, restaurants and bars.
Room was quite adequate but nothing fancy.
Breakfast was good - but again, nothing fancy. I did not have breakfast included in my rate; that would have been an additional $8/night. Turns out, breakfast only costs Rp50,000 (about $5); so no point in getting the higher nightly rate just for the "free" breakfast!
Hotel price did not include free wi-fi - that is an additional cost.
I was surprised at the mini-bar. A lot of hotels make good money selling these items for a lot of money - this hotel had them reasonably priced.

Bottom line is that the hotel has a very good price for its location. Nice, clean, and decent, but no frills. Would stay there again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

i went on holidays and stayed somewhere else, they fly out on the tues night and my brother and his friend were arriving wed night. so i arrived to check in, and they had no knoweldge of me booking in. they siad they had computer problems.worst thing was they had no rooms available. so here i am in Bali, by myslef and no where to stay. but i had all the approiate documents. the manager came down and apoligiesed and then he paid for me to stay in another hotel for the night. ( he also carried my bags for me and dealt with the staff at the new hotel for me) he also refunded me the money for that night. and then they up graded me to a pool view room, which was great. i could walk out my door, take 2 steps and be in the pool!
they all were very apoligetic and did so much more for me than ask.

so after all the dramas, i could relax. the staff were so friendly and helpful. everytime you walk passed someone they would say : "goodmorning" "goodnight" "how has your day been". they all have very good english and help you with everything.

the rooms were very spacious and clean. the cleaners did such a great job every morning.
it is a small hotel, maybe only 40ish rooms.
cleaning up.
the food was great
THE COCKTAILS, oh the cocktails!!! so yummy!
everything is new and clean.

1 small picky thing though, is staying on the ground floor i could hear/feel the bass quiet softly from the music from the nightlubs down the road. im a very light sleeper, but once i settle in i quiet easilly went to sleep

Room Tip: ground floors are fantiasic, but i could slightly hear the bass from nightlubs down the road. i stay...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed at Sanur for a few days before going back to the Niche, where we'd been in July last year. We arrived on 7/4/13 and were welcomed back like family...most of the staff remembered us and it was lovely returning, we had a different room this time, (the one next to the spa), lovely and quiet especially at breakfast time, spotlessly clean as usual and very comfortable.
We like the location here, where you can walk down the alley and you are straight out on the main street, turn left for the Kuta Memorial, which is very close. It's also an easy walk to the beach, we went up Poppies 2 which is closer and through the new Beachwalk shopping centre at the end. Poppies 1 is easier to walk through though, the lane surface is better and you're not going up and down on the broken paving.
Good shopping, restaurants and bars nearby, also lots of salons for massages and treatments. The laneway men are still annoying, this time we did not buy anything from them and they mostly gave up talking to us. On the other hand the laundry and food outlet people in the same lane are very friendly.
This is a reasonably small hotel, but very clean, close to all the action and if you want to relax at the hotel, the pool is good, beach towels, books and sunblock provided, cocktails are lovely and the restaurant food is good quality. Breakfasts are good too, egg station and a variety of other things daily

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Eden, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed with my partner and another couple last year in march. It was my first time in Bali, location was excellent, always very clean, quiet and all staff were polite and helpful. Breakfasts were OK, restaraunt at the motel wasn't that flash, but close enough to head somewhere else to eat. Very happy with the motel, will be staying there again next month :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a good cheap option for our 3 night stay in Bali in February 2013.

When we first arrived there was some confusion with our booking as they had us listed as arriving the following day but this was pretty quickly cleared up once we showed them our booking information and voucher from Harvey world travel (which was booked online ourselves).

We were given a room on the 1st floor which was quite large and clean and tidy. The bathroom was spacious with a good shower, but sometimes the bathroom got a bit of a yucky smell about it (typical poor plumbing in Bali!) that would drift throughout the whole room if the door wasn't kept closed. The air conditioning system worked well but was situated above the sink and bench area and it dripped a fair bit of water which meant you couldn't really leave anything on the bench, but that's not that big of a deal!

One morning after we had our room made up we pulled back the top sheet and there was a mark that appeared to be a drop of dried blood on the sheet so we just asked to have the sheet changed which was organised pretty quickly and wasn't an issue.

The location is good if you want to be in the heart of Kuta near the night club area, but the hotel is down a driveway so you're far away enough from the main street to not be bothered by the noise.

The pool was clean and well kept, the staff were friendly and breakfast was a limited buffet but still sufficient for a meal to kick off your day.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013
Albany, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The last review I wrote (2012) was on a large resort in Turban/ Kuta Bali, I was accused by the resort Management of fabricating a story....which I know my review was true, so as a regular traveller to Bali this time I choose to stay somewhere completely different, and I choose the Niche in Kuta.
I went to Bali to celebrate my 50th Birthday and wanted somewhere that would be homely, value for money and practical for what we wanted. There was 18 of us booked into the Niche and I never heard one bad word from any of my family or friends about the premises, and only positive feedback.
ROOMS: The rooms are spacious and cleaned daily with large King size beds, large room area, large shower area. The rooms have tiled floors so please be careful when they are wet as they become very slippery. Each room has a safe, and the airconditioner worked perfectly. each room overlooks the central pool which is beautiful and relaxing. Each room has a fridge, and a large Flat Screen TV and DVD Player which is great to test your movies before you leave Bali.
FOOD: Breakfast was good offering Toast, Fruit, Fried Rice, Eggs (cooked anyway you want), Cereal and much more... and of course Coffee which was enough to give you a kick start in the morning. The breakfast area setting is great as the breakfast area overlooks the beautiful pool area. We ate Lunch at the Niche numerous times and the food was well priced compared to the outside resturants and the food was very very good.
POOL AREA: The pool area was great with a swim up bar with friendly staff and plenty of lounge chairs surrounding the pool for you to sit in and read your book. The bar Staff were great "Surya and Agus" are very skilled at making cocktails during the "Happy Hour" and were always smiling and happy making our holiday experience even better. Cocktails were $6.50 each, however during Happy Hour (4-6pm) you buy two get one free.
STAFF: The staff are a credit to the Management and the owners of the Niche. The staff were always helpful, and spoke and understood english very well. After our first day all the staff members knew our names and were always very polite. The Niche Spa was very good with Bali Massages for 1 hr costing approx $9.50....well worth it The massages were incrediable and you have to ensure you book in eartly to get one as they are popular and very sought after.
When i was celebrating my birthday at the Pool Bar with family and friends the staff of the Niche presented me with a Birthday Cake and sang Happy Birthday to me. I found this gesture typical of the staff and the Niche caring and ensuring that we had a pleasant Birthday and holiday.
VALUE: I have been to Bali 25 times since 1982 and seen alot of changes...some for the better...some for the worse...and I have stayed in numerous resorts and hotels. I read numerous reviews about the Niche before booking this holiday and again these reviews were some good and some bad, however after our experience at the Niche I would not stay anywhere else. The value for money is exceptional and the Niche is truely a "Diamond in the Rough". I could not fault anything and I am looking forward to staying there again soon.
Alot of reviews mentioned hearing the loud music from the night clubs nearby, however we only heard the music one night, and it was so low that we easliy slept through it. There are plenty of bars nearby to listen to very good live music.
The Niche is central to good shopping, resturants, bars and entertainment,
There has been alot of mention about the shop owners/ workers in the lane way of the Niche in the reviews regarding their rudeness, and harrassment towards protental buyers/ tourists. This is true as they are persistant and do harrass you, however I found that once I told them that I was not buying from them they stopped harrassing me after the first few days. Do not use the Money Changer in the laneway as my son, and other Niche guests were scamed and lost money. The best Money Changer was "Wayan" he is situated only 20 meters to the right once you exit the laneway. There is a arch way to cottages and his businesses is just there on the right through the archway. Very good rate, very honnest, very polite and counts your money out slowly to ensure you are satisfied.
Though my last review for tripadvisor was very cridical of the large resort in Turban/ Kuta that was overpriced and sucked every cent out of you, the Niche is the complete opposite and I encourage travellers to stay there as it is truely a "Hidden Treasure", thank you Niche for making my birthday and our holiday one that we will always remember.

Room Tip: ROOMS: Ask for a ground floor room as it is a 20 meter walk to the pool, and you have a small sittin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends