“Great location, good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Kumala Hotel
Jl. Werkudara, Legian Kaja, Kuta, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #92 of 174 hotels in Kuta
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Great location, good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is a review of hotel Grand Kumala NOT Kumala Pantai.
The location is for me perfect! It's 2 minutes from double six, nearby the beach (5 minute walking) and surfschool (for first-time surfer, this is fantastic). Plenty of shops and laundry around. Lots of food and restaurants (try Warung murah for its desert & juice; the food is not fantastic. For a real budget travellers: try Padang food (Saleko) at the end of double-six: passing the cross and the supermarkt. For $ 1.5 you get really good, plenty, original Indonesian meal).

The staffs are in general friendly, but could be more at the reception. I was asking for a cab because we had an early flight but they were not really helpful about the inside information. It turned out that you can just grab a taxi from the street even at 4.00 o'clock in the morning. I would expect the reception would advise me to do this.

When I made a reservation, it was said that we would get two rooms next top eacht other (I travel with my dad, also). It turned out not the case, which is a bit dissaponted. One room is number 113 (which I liked so much, not being a fussy traveller). The other room is number 104, which is next to site of a construction project. We were warned, which I appreciate, that this room could be noisy and got a discount for it. Luckily, the construction thing was not that bad.

The swimmingpool is lovely (I used the one in front). Enough sun and shade and good place to read (quiet). The breakfast was good enough (better than three brothers, which is after one night I fled to Grand Kumala) and the restaurant site in the back of the garden is very nice. We were quite satisfied with this.

My partner found the hotel can be more clean, especially the bathroom. But it did not bother me. It was clean enough for me and it was a good budget hotel.

I had a good time and I would certainly come back!

Liked: location, garden, breakfast, the pool
Disliked: staff at the reception

Room Tip: Choose rooms in front (number 108-113). Beware (and ask) for contructions projects around.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Our second stay here, booked the 2 deluxe rooms second floor facing the back pool, didn't get the interconnecting this time but not a problem. One room had been revamped, painted and new light fittings, the other in need of some fresh paint. The bathrooms are ok and could you a bottle of bleach but the water pressure is good and the water hot.
Location is fantastic, son could walk the 200 meters down to the beach via the lane, daughter could wander and shop.
We never have breaky here , prefer to get something decent and enjoy the beach. The pool could do with a cleaner, the rim of the pools over the years is getting pretty funky.
Staff very friendly, they just need to get management/owner to spend a little on cleaning and upgrading linen occasionally.
Didn't hear the construction on our side

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Montréal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Amazing hotel! Cool staffs! Ask for a room in front of the pool near the entrance.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Bali, Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

This is for Hotel Kumala,NOT Kumala Pantai. This is a budget hotel. We stayed in President suite, then Family room. There is a major construction project happening next door, so building takes place from 8am until 10pm!!!! Last night they poured concrete until 3am, just 6 feet from our bedroom window. The staff dont care, they just laugh. And from 1/7 its an extra 20%. Behind our room was a small farm yard with geese that honked most of the night. We are currently looking for somewhere new to stay so we can enjoy our holiday. We were not told about the building work when we booked, nor when we checked in late on the first night. I would NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I normally stay on the beach in Bali but this time thought since we were only spending 3 nights in Legian before going to a 5billion star villa in Seminyak I would try somewhere cheaper and not on the beach. Grand Kumala had mixed reviews and I am not a fussy traveller so thought I would give it a try. When we arrived the reception was very friendly and helpful, our bags were taken up to our room and we were given a little tour of our room and shown how to use air con, safe etc. The room was not great. It definitely needed a re vamp. Very old sheets, marks on the doona cover which was well worn and they could do with a paint. The bathroom could do with a clean and re tile as well. The room had a nice view of the pool and gardens from the balcony.T he buildings are very traditional old-school Bali Hotel style.
Unfortunately next to our room was a construction site which surprisingly wasn't too bad (they probably didn't finish on the first night until about 10pm though). I wasn't impressed with the room and whinged to my partner a fair bit at first and I asked to be moved to the next level of room on the other side of the pool but they were booked out. I dealt with it as we hardly use the room except for showers and sleep.
The hotel has two pools one better one at the back of the hotel near the bar. The one at the front which has many banana chairs and nice gardens seemed as though it needed to be topped up with water. It was always clean and refreshing and quite private.
Breakfast was included but we walked out to the beach stretch and got breakfast there each day at the different cafes - better view and good food.
The Grand Kumala is a great location - 100m to the right of the Hotel there is a small lane which takes you straight onto the restaurant strip and beach. To the left of the hotel is Double six with shops and straight out the front is a number of shops and a great day spa called Eden Green which do the best massages I have had in Bali!
For the time spent in the room, which is hardly ever, with great shopping, beach and eateries around, I would stay here again, I would spend a little more and get a deluxe room. It was only $30 a night though and exactly what we needed to get back into 'Bali life'

Room Tip: on estern side of pool or out back near back poola
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stayed at the Grand Kumala for 5 nights in the presidential suite with our 3 teenage children.It had 2.5 bedroooms,2 bathrooms,large living room with lounge and dining table,tv and massive verandah with outdoor setting(not suitable for toddlers or little kids).Had to climb about 80 stairs to get to the room but didn't really matter to me,only a pain getting suitcases up and down.The penthouse is a little dated and the bathroom really needed renovating and a good scrub,however all areas were spacious.No wifi in room but free in the bar/lounge area and poolside.Only a 5 min walk to the beach and markets/restaurants/massage salons we right outside the door.The staff were ok however we did have a major issue with pool towels as they never seemed to have enough .If you were lucky enough to get one,make sure you keep it for the whole day....because they won't replace wet ones.All in all,Grand Kumala is fine for my large family and pretty cheap $90 per night.Location was fab but you need to remember it is a dated hotel though.
PS a massive resort is being built next door so there is building noise,but only really heard it for one night when they were pouring concrete at 10pm!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Sydney Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Close to beach, in a street off double 6. Room very spacious 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with a veranda for under $100 a night. Presidential suites upstairs, either 36 steps or 54 to other - main bedroom looked out on building site, but kept curtains closed so didn't matter. Not very clean.
Breakfast included, not everything out by 7.30am when it opens- juice, toast, fruit, indonesian either soup and plain rice or next day nasi goreng and mie goreng. Also egg station.
2 pools, one at front, one at back. Pool towels one a day per person, however ran out everytime you wanted to get a new one. Towels to be collected from restaurant.
Free wifi at bar near reception and front pool. Rooms close to that area would get free wifi.
Building site next door for 12 months - 200 room hotel going up, they are only licenced to work till 9pm each night, though sometimes they work longer.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Kumala Hotel? Share your experiences!