“Marvelous stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 195 Hotels in Kuta
Seremban, Malaysia
“Marvelous stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Stayed in Harris Tuban before on the previous trip to Bali and enjoyed it. So we decided to try Harris Kuta this time and it was a great choice, the resort was well maintained, warm and welcoming with beautiful gardens and tucked away from the noise of Kuta. We had our welcome drinks during check-in and it was fast and a breeze. The staffs were courteous and efficient and always wishing you something. And it is a very family oriented hotel, elegant and simple but not losing on the Balinese taste and homely feeling. Our room was clean and I think they just did a paint job because there was not anything tarnishing on the walls. Bathroom was ok, with tub though we'd prefer the style in Harris Tuban which was so Balinese. Room service was early and he did a thorugh job cleaning up our room from sands. There's a safe box, and we left our valuables in there while swimming and so far nothing bad happened. But we left the laptop with the reception. This time we have a toddler tagging along, he loved the children's pool with the rabbits running around. Pool was clean and not slippery at all. So was the adult's pool. They also offer children club called Dino's club where the children can play with other Room service was early and goodkids staying there. Beach was just 2 minutes away and far quieter than the Kuta beach close to Kuta town and Hard Rock cafe where so many sellers will pester you for tattoos, massages and car rental services. And the life guards were so efficient. The hotel offered tours but do negotiate with the assigned driver for a more lower price than the hotel offered, and you'll find a driver for the whole time you are there at your service everyday. Breakfast was good with arrays of choices from Balinese to Indonesian and American buffet. At least coffee was real coffee and not some nescafe stuffs they like to serve in Asian hotels. Lots of good places to find food, Kuta town is just 5 mins walk down, you can walk by the beach , walk even to Tuban to the Discovery Shopping Mall while watching the waves and avoiding the crowds and traffics with the new beachwalk, though most of shopping places will be along the Kartika Plaza Road. A bit of walking north you'll find the area Legian which also offers lots of good place to eat and shop. All in all, we enjoyed our stay and would love to stay here again for our next trip.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

We stayed at the Harris Resort for 3 nights. Located just across the road on Kuta beach and walking distance from shopping and food courts - it was an extremely pleasant experience for all of us.
The breakfast was amazing and there was something for all tastes.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

Just returned from 7 days in Kuta, Bali. I am a 65 year old female. I stayed at the Harris Resort, Kuta, across the road from the beach, just up from Circle K (7 eleven'ish). - right near Poppies Gang. The hotel is excellent. The decor is orange but don't let that put you off; it all works. Staff are so friendly and helpful, food excellent. Air conditioning perfect.Gardens beautifully kept. There are little pockets of gardens everywhere and at the 'bottom of the garden near my room is a small temple that I wandered to each morning for that lovely quiet time of Hindu morning. They list different activities each day, from fruit carving, yoga, dancing and many more. I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel and my stay there. The other thing I discovered was a great driver Joni Aritonang (www.balisahatatour.com). He took me everywhere and he is delightful.
I walked at night with no fear or problems taking the same precautions as I would here in Melbourne. The peace of the Harris and the chaos of the streets sat perfectly with me.
Some of my family members stayed at the Hard Rock Resort and visiting them I enjoyed their giant pool but loved coming home to my Harris.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

This is a good resort in Kuta, the most happening place in Bali. Very near to the airport and 2 mins from Kuta beach.
Rooms are spacious, well planned and maintained. The staff at the reception, the housekeeping team and even the restaurant staff all are very friendly, helpful and deliver with a smile. We were a large family of 7 including 3 kids and all of us being vegetarians, also had the privilege of being served a specially cooked veg. preparation (nasi goreng) for all.
Our kids had a great time at the pool and kids activity centre. One also had a chance to learn SCUBA diving courtesy the resort.
Overall, the best part of this place is value for money.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
bangi, malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

the hotel had a vibrant vibe since its colour theme was orange.
the room was comfy and clean. staff friendly and helpful.
location was very strategic near the beach and mc donalds.

good value for money.
u can get cheaper rates online on their official website which does not include breakfast as opposed to booking rooms on other websites

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
new delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

I just loved the time I spent at Harris. Maybe because it was my honeymoon, but largely because I simply fell in love with its ever smiling staff and sparkling cleanliness and the omnipresent orange colour!

Its been more than a year now, and only today I am writing this review. Get nostalgic every time i think of our time there. I still remember Nyoman Anom, the friendly guy at the reception who just never said no to anything we wanted.

The lobby is huge, and with free internet kiosks if you aren't carrying your laptop. There is orange all around, which is very pleasing to the eyes. The bell captain was very helpful and the concierge desk gave us very useful information about the city. And of course, the reception staff give you a big shout out every time they see you!

Our room was very nice and clean, and the mini bar was never empty. The room service too is very prompt and friendly. I and my wife just loved the breakfast, which was decently big and had both continental and Balinese stuff.

They had a separate pool for kids but I did feel there were few people at the pool till as long as we were there. The gym and spa are good and we utilized them quite often. The property itself is quite big, and there was something or the other happening every day at the cultural front. One day there was a workshop on how to tie the Bali sarong for guys and gals!

I enjoyed my stay so much there that i can't think of anything that i didn't like, excpt for the pool area maybe. But then, when the beach is so close, who wants the pool anyway!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Dubai,UAE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

I booked this hotel after a change in circumstances meant my usual hotel (Padma Resort Legian) was out of budget. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading other reviews but was pleasantly surprised. Sure, Harris Kuta isn't the nicest hotel in Bali, but it more than met my needs.

Service although not fully professional and polished was friendly and they always tried their best. I had a minor misunderstanding with a couple of the staff, I think this was a language barrier but when they weren't sure what I wanted they always got another staff member who spoke good English to come and assist. I always got smiles and hellos from the desk clerks to the gardeners whenever I was walking around the hotel. On my final day they all asked was I checking out, and on my replying yes they wished me a safe travel home.

The room while not brand new was enough for one person and I have to agree with other reports that it is a little dark at night if you want to do work, however there was a bed side lamp which was more than enough for reading. The room at first looked like it might have been dirty in some places, however on checking closely it was just wear/tear on the walls and floors and not actually dirty. The sheets & towels (in my room at least) were looking a little grey, however I believe this is more due to frequent washing & quality of Bali water than them being dirty. I also think that my room was one that may be due for renewal soon. I also did not get hand towels for the first 2 days, I just thought they weren't the done thing in Bali but on the third day they appeared. Must have been short of towels.

I had a pool access room instead of a balcony as I had booked but this was fine, staff offered me the balcony but explained as they were full there would be a wait while a room was cleaned if I wished it. I took the pool room and I'm glad I did. (Only negative is that you do not get a key for the pool door, so remember not to leave the chain on the room door if leaving through the pool door or you will be stuck!!)

The hotel has two tame pet rabbits on the grounds who come out at night to eat the grass around the pool. They are very friendly and would come to my room terrace each night at around 9pm. I thought this was very charming & it added to my stay immensely! :)

I found the room service to be pretty good, while it's not exactly gourmet fare it's enough for the type of travellers (families, young ones) that Harris caters for. It was brought quickly and you could get a pizza and a cocktail for around $10-12 Aussie dollars. Not bad at all! Depending on room type you can also get 2 free bottled water per day.

Harris Spa while more expensive than other places in Kuta was clean and professional, more like a proper Day Spa and less like a curtained off cubicle in the back of a shop. The rooms were mainly quiet with a nice outdoor bath/shower area. I had a 2 hour session which cost around $40-50AUD which is still VERY cheap compared to back home.

The driveway is fairly long, however it was well lit at night and you pass by other buildings/rooms on one side on the way down. The gate staff were always checking to see if I needed a taxi and when waiting for friends one of them offered me his chair in the shade to sit on which was kind. Sure the beach area is a LITTLE bit dodgy but I walked around even at night with no real problems.

There is a section of path between the hotel and the mini mart (turning left from hotel) that is very dark at night due to construction area (maybe 1 minute walk towards Hard Rock) however there were nearly always people/cars around. Ocasionally between 7-9pm there are beggar children sitting here and while persistent if you ignore them they will leave you alone eventually. I found that instead of giving them money (which only goes to their bosses) that bottle of cold water and some candy was joyfully received by the children who thanked me very happily. I highly recommend giving them a drink or ice cream if you want to give them something rather than Rupiah as it will actually benefit the child rather than someone else. Having said that I never felt scared walking along here, I just made sure to walk behind another group and the rest of the road is well lit and usually quite busy.

TIPS:

* Don't miss the omelette station at breakfast like I did- I only found it on my last day as it is on the patio area of the breakfast buffet, not inside with everything else!

* Most rooms get 2 hour free internet voucher to use in the lobby kiosk. Make sure to get one every day, as it is not explained very well (it says one-time use) I thought it was one voucher per room, but it is one voucher per room per DAY :) If you want more than 2hr it was maybe 10-20000 rupiah (about $1-2AUD) for another couple hours,not expensive at all like some of the pricier hotels who charge $10 an hour!!

* If you're not comfortable taking a taxi to/from airport, a transfer is 100,000IDR each way, as a girl travlling alone I took this option. The first night it was a Harris van and the last day it was a private driver arranged by the hotel. Both were friendly enough, the second driver asked me to verify it was my luggage in the back before leaving the hotel. He did ask if I had any Aussie coins on me, not sure if this is a way to get extra money or simply a continuation of the fad for Aussie $1 coins that was around on my last visit four years ago!

Overall I enjoyed my stay here and while it's not a ritzy five-star the Harris is a friendly and laid back hotel that is perfect for families, solo travellers or those who aren't too fussed with flashy appearances. It's a convenient location (5-10min walk to Mata Hari) and perfectly adequate as a home base for the busy traveller.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo