“Best location, great pool, service not so great” 3 of 5 stars

Dewi Sri Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Legian, Kuta, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #63 of 175 Hotels in Kuta
Perth, Australia
“Best location, great pool, service not so great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We've just come back from staying here for 5 nights. For the money you pay, this place is fantastic. The pool is amazing and the location is perfect if you want to be in kuta.
I had a new room which was lovely. Noise from other guests had its moments in the early hours of the morning but My 1 year old slept through it which was a relief. Strange thing to say but I found the other guests who stayed here were lovely. Most had no kids and were so nice to us.
What let the place down was the service. However I'm not sure if it was because we stayed during their religious week as to whether they had different staff on.
On the email before arriving, we asked a couple of times to make sure the cot was set up in my room as we had a late arrival from the airport at 11pm. It wasn't. Not only that but it took them over an hour to get their act into gear to find one and set it up in my room. I had to keep repeatedly asking where is it.
There were a couple of lovely staff there but that's about it. Overall disappointed in their service throughout the holiday.
I would stay here again though because its one of the best places in Perth for value for money

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Booked this hotel after a friends quick stay comments. We had a Superior room (211) the room has been recently renovated and the only issue was a little noise from the staff scooters around 7:30am but not too bad. The breakfast isn't a big spread like you get at the Dynasty but it is sufficient and the coffee and tea weren't bad either.
The staff were happy and friendly, the pool wasn't a noisy place like I had expected with the close by clubs. It wasn't a party hotel. Even the merchants in the lane to the hotel were not a bother .
Overall not a bad little hotel for the price.

Room Tip: rooms behind the office while older are larger cheaper and quieter try room 303
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Burleigh Heads, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed for 11 nights over Xmas 2012 in a Family room with our family of 5. I was worried about the noise from the nearby clubs but could not hear a sound inside our room. The room was huge and more than served our needs. We loved having 2 TV's at night and being able to close the shutters between the rooms.
Breakfast was OK, nothing special, but for the price we paid it was more than adequate.
Staff were lovely but did seem a little lazy? At breakfast there appeared to be about 10 staff hanging around and only about 3 working. The TV in the breakfast area was always blarring some local show and was way too loud. Music would have been much better.
Pool was lovely and mostly very clean. Only missed out on lounges once or twice which was fine.
Room was cleaned daily but our bathroom was not. It took 9 days before our bath , mirror or vanity were cleaned and then they were only done as the manager had returned from her time away. After 3 days I used the towels in the room and did it myself. Could have complained but really couldn't be bothered. Not that big of a deal for us.
Loved the location and was surprised how peaceful it felt once inside the resort.
Previous reviews have mentioned the hard sell girls in the entrance ally but they were OK. Did buy from them once, as they had a style we were looking for. They did try each time they saw us, they gave up after a few days.
If we had all 3 of our girls with us again I would return here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I travelled with 4 teens to Bali and stayed at the Dewi Sri Hotel for the last 4 nights of January this year. I chose Dewi Sri Hotel because of its close proximity to clubs, stalls and Poppies Lane II. We booked 3 Superior Rooms. I had a room to myself and the girls had a room to share with single beds.
Our rooms were just so beautiful. Lovely spacious room with a jumbo sized bed -it was big! The room was spotless and the frangipanis dotted around the room and on the bed was a lovely, welcoming touch. I had also arranged in my booking to get three large bouquets of flowers for each of our rooms. They cost $10.00 each and we were not disappointed! They were huge and so beautiful.
The bathroom was nice and spacious with great water pressure and honestly was spotlessly clean! I looked for dirt and grime, a mouldy shower curtain or anything, but couldn't find a single spot! Most pleased about that!
The mini bar was well stocked and for mini bar prices, I found it quite reasonable.
I loved the large closet and all the space it provided. There was also quite a few coat hangers which was helpful. However the girls' rooms only had 2 or 3 in theirs which they felt a bit disappointed about as we all like to unpack fully when staying on holidays (it makes us feel more settled and organised during our stay).
The Reception area housed safety deposit boxes to keep all our valuables and travel documents. You get a key and have to sign each time you open the safety box, along with the time and date. Very well set up.
The pool was so nice. A lovely temperature all day long. And it was crystal clear and always inviting. I agree with fellow reviewers that there couldv'e been a few more loungers and umbrellas around the pool but as our rooms were nearby we didn't really miss them too much.
The Reception staff were always friendly, available and very helpful during our whole stay.
Breakfast was average, some days less than average. One day you had bacon, the next you had sausages. One day you had noodles, the next you had mushrooms and tomatoes. You can order eggs any way you want everyday. Also you can ask for pancakes and they well make them on request and at no extra cost. But you have to order them. I found the coffee super thick and strong but ordered a cafe latte which you pay 25,000Rp (Morning price) each for but is so worth it.The coffee is goooood!
I always found the grounds well maintained and the hotel to be clean all the time.
Well done Dewi Sri! We loved you and were a tad sad to be leaving you after only 4 nights.
I highly recommend a stay at Dewi Sri Hotel.

Room Tip: Stretch your budget that little bit more and get a Superior Room! You will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a superior room. A little bit more but worth it. Staff are very helpful. Easy access to the clubs and food. Pool is like a spa ( Doesn't really cool you down). I would stay here again for sure!!!!

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

At first I didn't like the dewi Sri at all! My partner and I checked in very late at night to be put on the 'old' side up 3 flights of narrow and steep stairs to quite a small room and an even more questionable bathroom (I refused to be bare footed in there!) - we asked to be upgraded and the next day we moved to the superior rooms right near the pool. What a difference! The room was huge as was the shower! Very clean- I did find that house keeping came too early for my partner (not me I was already having breakfast!) but I would just put the do not disturb sign up and had no issues. One day I was sick and stayed in the room till about 5- went out for tea and when I came back everything was clean again! So close to everything but no complaints about the noise. People say this hotel is good if you want to party- well I didn't and I still found it great! As close as it is to the clubs (literally 2min walk) I slept like a baby every night and never heard a thing. The only thing they really need are extra umbrellas around the pool - although someone did go out and buy some when this was mentioned!
The security too are fantastic- they never checked us for anything so I don't know if that should worry me, but they did move my partners bike after he left it in the driveway and returned the helmet to our room!

Also, If you need a taxi- try 'made' who sits in the lane way in front of troppo. He was absolutely amazing and made me fall in love with the Balinese people. We took a day trip to lovina and back (about 11 hours) and it cost us $60(aus)! He stopped at all these places he thought we might like, took us to this gorgeous restaurant right on the beach and even picked us some fresh strawberries!

• Stayed April 2012
Caloundra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have stayed here 3 times and heading back in two weeks for my forth stay. Since the Dewi Sri has been renovated the rooms are the best value for money ever. Small bar fridge topped up everyday with water and choccies.

The staff of Dewi Sri are so accommodating each time there has been three of us staying so the dewi sri set up another king single in our room and we all fitted with easy. The bathrooms are fairly large, with a normal toilet and basin and the showers are huge!!! so much room.. especially if you wake up the next morning with a famous bali hangover! :)

I love the location, so close to the night clubs, its a 150m walk and your in the action! So no worries about getting home at night.

You do have to walk up a alley way from the Kuta main road to get to dewi Sri, but I can ensure you its really safe. Be warned there is a few market stalls on this lane way that well try to rip you something chronic the first time you step out of Dewi Sri. The are very aggressive and get quite angry if you buy from other market stalls from other lanes e.g. poppies II. So what we would do is take a back pack with us when going shopping so we could put our shopping in the back pack and we would just tell them 'we are not buying today' and just kept walking.... try not to make any eye contact as they will psychically grab you by the arm and pull you into their stall.
But if you do decide to buy from just make sure you barter really well. Dewi Sri is basically there only source of income, so I do encourage buying from them... Just set a price you want something for and you may find in 2days they will ssay yes... just let them sweat a bit I guess.

If you have to much shopping for your backpack just grab a 'blue bird' taxi... these taxis are the most reliable in bali and start the meter at 30000rp when you jump in. other taxi services will try to start the meter at 10000rp upwards.

Back to the Dewi Sri, the swimming pool is long enough to do some short laps in especially in the morning. the swim up bar is awesome! The gardens of Dewi Sri are devine!! Dewi Sri is modern but has not lost its traditional bali feel/atmosphere.

Each morning room service comes around fills up your bar fridge, makes your bed gives you new towels. I normal leave out a 5000rp tip (which is less then 30c aud) for the room service boys and girls and by leaving them the tip they always roll my towles up in a arty way and leave pretty fangipanis around the room!

I have always stayed in a 'room around the pool' as they are the best location and in the mix with the people at the resort, there a apartment style building to the left which is away from all the main action happening in the pool area.

Once a week they have a balinesse guy come in for an hour or two and sing music with his guitar and he is also open to requests! Pretty cool if you are the bar or in the pool sipping on bintang!

Dewi Sri has saftey deposit boxes which are really safe! and all of your processions in your room are safe too Ive never had anything go missing.

Cleanliness of the complex and rooms I couldn't fault.

The breakfast is awesome just a buffet breakfast that goes from 7am - 11am. There is a cook you will cook you eggs anyway you like. you can ask for pancakes and they will be served to you at the table. Endless fruit. I didnt really like the juices, but needless to say most of the time I was pretty hungover.

The massage lady that works at dewi sri all day is incredable. Ive been an elite sports athlete for the last 10years and I can say I did expect her to be soothing and relaxing (to which I hate maassages like this) so I told her to go as hard as she could. and boy I was sore for three days after! she tried rubbing out all my swimmers knots! felt good after though!

the restaurant makes a mean pasta dish and BLT sanga! as well as a good milkshake

Last time I was there I got quite sick with Bali Belly because I had a coconut drink out at sunua and even when I was sick Mum was asking the staff of Dewi Sri how to make me better as we had to fly out the next day (Bali Belly - awesome way to get out of packing your own bag when mum is there) and the staff told mum what to buy and what I should be doing to get better and yea I was better in less than 24hours! phew!

Just an all round awesome spot, especially with those families taking young adults wanting to party. the location is close enough for us to walk to the party but further enough away to not hear a single thing. Its unbelievable how quite it is. Last trip I was there I met the manager of Sky Garden night club (balis biggest nightclub) as they use Dewi Sri to put up their international acts/DJs so if your lucky you might get to meet some famous acts! I met a couple last time and got invited out to party with them before their performance and hang in the VIP all night long!

All around I can not fault the dewi sri for service or for anything really! its awesome value for money. Cant wait to be back there in 2 weeks

Room Tip: Ask for a room around the pool, room 111 is the best!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dewi Sri Hotel? Share your experiences!