“Great taste of Indonesian cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #78 of 192 Activities in Kuta
Type: Classes/Workshops, Classes
Hong Kong, China
14 attraction reviews
“Great taste of Indonesian cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Maria is a great lady with her patience teaching skill. She picked me from the hotel and we have prepared 7 dishes which were all very delicious. The combination of both dried and fresh spices were distinct from dried Indian spices and fresh Thai spices. Maria has generously provided copies of her recipe list to me and I have enjoyed the Indonesian authentic cooking very much during unpredictable rain outside on my first day.

Visited June 2013

Manila, Philippines
4 attraction reviews
“Maria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The day we spent with Maria was exactly how the other reviewers described it.

Maria is an amazing one-man band. Cook and entrepreneur! She thought of marketing her lessons by approaching people and giving handouts of her lessons to them. Amazing pluck! These reviews of her cooking class are very encouraging and give her the support she could really use. She is tireless... she sends emails before and after the classes, handwrites some of the recipes, does her own scheduling with no one to assist her!

She is a very patient person and lovingly taught my sister and me - who have no kitchen experience whatsoever - how to prepare the dishes, starting from scratch. Preparing the paste is a lot of work but a good Balinese cook always starts with that, she explained. The paste makes all the difference.

My wish for her - that she fulfills her dream of putting up her own restaurant. Go, Maria!!!

Visited June 2013
Darwin, Australia
“What a great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I had been wanting to attend a cooking class whilst in Bali and following discussions with a couple of very impressed ladies, I was recommended to Maria. I was so pleased I was. At 8am this petite Indonesian women (with fabulous English language) came to collect me from my hotel. We proceeded to the Kuta markets (by taxi) where I was introduced to all manner of herbs and spices used in Indonesian cooking. The market was a great experience and Maria explained the uses for each of the exotic herbs and spices. We bought some fruits which I wanted to experience (having not seen them in Australia).

Following the market, Maria took me (I was a lucky girl being the only one in the class that day) to her new home where she educated me on the uses of the herbs and spices. She asked me to select three recipes from a long list of recipes ... these were the ones we were going to prepare, cook and eat. Alongside Maria, I cleaned, cut and ground the herbs and spices together to make a paste, watched whilst Maria created coconut milk from the freshly shredded coconut, pan fry fresh coconut which was then ground and included in the curry, and then waited, with baited breath for the delicious Beef Rendang to do its thing. It was worth the wait, it was truly delicious with a enormous depth of flavour.

For the Bah Wan patties a peanut sauce was in order! Maria then roasted and crushed peanuts with the various herbs and spices and created a magnificent peanut sauce, the taste of which I have never experienced in Australia.

She prepared the fruits we had bought at the markets in a 'pickled fashion' and however unusual for my Aussie palate, it was most certainly enjoyable and refreshing. I always enjoy trying new things.

With each recipe that Maria prepared, she organised the herbs and spices on a plate with the accompanying name of the dish being cooked - so that you could take a photo to remember what went into that particular recipe. An ingenious idea really! She then provides these and other photos to you by email so you can print them at home.

Maria provided a bunch of recipes on the day and explained everything with great patience and perfect English.

For anyone interested in doing a cooking class in Bali, I highly recommend Maria's Cooking Class .... I will certainly be returning next time I'm in Bali.

All the best Maria and Thank You for the wonderful experience.

Collie, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Spice and taste of heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Maria is a wonderful teacher and gives you the chance to see, experience and taste all the food that you prepare on the day.
This was our dearest wish to do a cooking course and this was a wonderful experience, Maria picked us up at the hotel and we did the tour round the markets- that is a very worth while experience- very full on and full of all local people and fresh produce that Maria buys for you to cook with and taste.
This was a 10/10 experience~! Maria is very good at what she does and gives you a wonderful chance to make and eat all the food. Well worth doing and we will be cooking the recipes for years to come! Maria is a very humble, lovely lady and a good laugh as well!
Please make sure you do not let her down by not turning up, this lady is taking her time to give us the wonderful experience of learning to cook the indonesian way and it is her time and money she spends on the ingredients, so she loses out if people do not turn up once they have booked.

Perth, Australia
“The Highlight of My Bali Holiday!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My partner Jo and I recently went to Bali and decided to do Maria's cooking class. I am so so glad we did!! Maria,s cooking class was the highlight of my holiday. This lovely lady is a wealth of knowledge. She met us at our hotel and then took us to the fish markets and the fresh food markets which were next door to the fish market. She explained what different ingredients were used for and how to cook with them. She also asked us if we saw the same ingredients in Australia and if we used them and how. She was genuinely interested in how we cooked and she asked us many questions also. After the markets we went back to Maria's house and did the cooking class after which we ate all the food we cooked. It was absolutely delicious! All in all it was a great day and I would thoroughly recommend Maria's cooking class to anyone wanting to learn how to cook Balinese and Indonesian food. I cant wait to go back and do another cooking class with this great lady next time I go to Bali. Thank you Maria, I learnt so much from your brilliant cooking class.