Arrival: Arranged for pick-up at the airport. When we exited the airport, we were greeted with close to hundreds of namecards. Alas, Grand Mega displayed the most outstanding- purple acrylic board & boldly printed words. Norman, the driver was unpretentious, friendly, and converses very very well in English. One of the best locals who we could carry a lengthy conversation with.
Upon arrival at the hotel, welcome drinks were served at the reception desk, further pampering us & making us feel welcomed. The staff at the reception was friendly and smiley.
Room (Deluxe Pool View, Rm 429; Stayed from 03/08/13 - 06/08/13): Requests for high floor, and good wifi were met. Note that there are no rooms with balconies in the entire hotel. Wifi was occasionally disrupted but still acceptable. The room was not expansively large but cozy & comfy.
Mirror sliding doors separated the bedroom from bathroom. There were televisions in front of the queen-sized bed, and in front of the bathtub. However, certain movie channels had bad reception. The sound system in the bathroom was better. Floor was a bit dusty. but cleanliness-wise, I did not see any hairs, stains, or any insects. Hence to me, on a whole, the room is good and worth the money.
Bathroom: Bath tub with pool view on one end and the rainforest shower/wc on the other. Wc flushing system was mediocre. In the middle was the basin. The bathroom uniquely designed. The main inconvenience -- there was no table top or cabinet to place our toiletries near the basin.
Pool: looks lovely & inviting. Didnt swim in it so unsure of the cleanliness.
Breakfast included: Compared to other hotels, GrandMega's breakfast buffet is pretty standard with a variety offered. There was a counter that frys eggs & pancakes, american breakfast, continental, etc Otherwise, just head to the mall opposite and eat at the shops over there.
Security/Location: Good. Guard will stop & scan each car and check the boot. Sometimes, he will also help to stop traffic so that we can cross over & head to the mall. The mall has a megamart, head over there to replenish all your supplies!
Do note that even though the hotel is in the Kuta area, to get to the main Kuta shopping/nightlife areas (Krissna at Sunset Road, Poppies Lane 1 & 2 etc.), the cab would have to do at least 2 u-turns to enter the highway. Abit of a hassle.
BEWARE: those friendly Grand Mega drivers parked right outside the hotels. They would always offer 'best or matching prices' to your destination. Just get the receptionist to call a BlueBird taxi for you. of course, they are no different from other taxi drivers, who would always try to earn the extra dollars or cheat the unsuspecting tourist. It is just ridiculous that you have to start bargaining right outside your hotel and with drivers who supposedly represent the hotel. Id rather let other taxi drivers earn my money.
In all, Grand Mega exudes warmness, openness & comfort. Albeit the irritating driver touters, the flushing system, and the lack of a balcony, this is one hotel I will visit again.
Tips for First-timers in Bali:
- Just take Blue Bird no matter how good the price seem.
- Grand Mega is pretty well-known among the taxi drivers. You will reach your hotel safely without worries each time.
- Do note that there are a lot of taxis that appear to be blue bird, but are actually not (blue lights does not equate to Blue bird taxi). Just make sure the windows have the words printed "Blue Bird" and you are fine. Nevertheless with any cab with meter, the price is pretty reasonable.
- Do not believe drivers who tell you that they do not use the meter after 11pm.
- There is no booking fee for taxis. So you can always ask the friendly receptionist to call a BlueBird cab for you.
- Do not be afraid to reject them. Taxis are aplenty in Bali. Regardless of the company they are from, the drivers are desperate for business. So always insist on meter, if not just move on to the next cab. With a more than 80% success rate, each time we walk away, the driver will relent & call us back.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.