“Very Relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Kuta
California
“Very Relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Poppies is on a very busy street/ alley in Kuta. Once you are in the property, you are golden though. It is so magical and tranquil. You can walk down Poppies Lane to Kuta beach. Just be warned that it's not a peaceful walk. It's filled with motorbikes going every which way and even cars.

Our cottage was so nicely decorated. Even the bathroom had a beautiful sculpture, plants and rocks. They pay extremely close attention to the property. The property is filled with beautiful sculptures. Someone meticulously places fresh flowers around the property each morning.

If you are not in the mood to go to the beach, I completely recommend the pool. It's gorgeous. The lawn chairs are very comfortable. The bar by the pool offers very good deals as well. I loved the bartender; he was very friendly.

I booked this place over three months in advance. I tried to come back at the end of my trip; however, they were book. Try to book early.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bunbury, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I first tried booking into Poppies cottages 5 years ago after reading great reviews, well after trying to book for two other trips after that and actually doing a visit to check them out I finally managed to get a booking in July for my GF and I.
After staying at Poppies I understand why it is so very popular, it is simply superb, it is not for those who want swim up bars and party time, it is for those who want to relax in a beautiful place. It is quiet, private and tranquil, surrounded by magnificent gardens, yet located in the very popular and busy area of Kuta with many restaurants and nightspots really close.
I feel the prices have risen above the average since I first tried booking 5 years ago....... what a bargain it would have been then because it is still good value now, not sure if breakfast was ever included in the price previously however it is not now so ensure you budget a little extra....in saying that so many fantastic restaurants close by including Poppies own, which was again fantastic, also complimentary tea and fruit is delivered to the room every morning.
The staff at the cottages and the restaurant were very friendly and helpful as is normal at near all places in Bali, was really happy with the room service, prices for drinks were even cheaper than at the mini markets...delivered within minutes :-).
I found that everything about the cottages and surrounds has been thought out well, the rooms are great and just loved the garden bathroom, the pool was excellent too, clean and again well thought out.
Ok, just to throw in a little gripe for gripes sake, the bed could have been a little softer.
On that note though I can only say that if this place disappoints anyone then they should have a serious look at themselves, lol.
Absolutely fantastic

Room Tip: We were in room 12 and it was great, close to the exit and pool, think prob all rooms would be terri...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I can't get over how beautiful this place is. I've stayed in high end resorts before and nothing compares to the sheer beauty of Poppies Cottages. From the traditional feel of the cottages to the breathtaking gardens and the beautiful pool, the delicious food and the friendly staff, everything was just perfect and I would not hesitate to recommend Poppies Cottages to anyone. This would definitely be my first choice if I ever decide to stay in Kuta again.

Room Tip: I worried unnecessarily that the cottages closest to the front would be noisy. They are all very wel...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

It is gorgeous! Only about 22 cottages from memory not many, great to relax. They are always friendly and they always laugh! Should try the piña-colada by the pool.

It's near the top of poppies lain 1, walking distance to Kuta Beach and Kuta Square. Lots of restaurants near. Poppies lain 1 though is narrow and taxis can't go up. If you're flying in ask to get picked up from the airport because the divers know how to get there a back way, our taxi driver couldn't and we had to log our suit cases halfway up the road.

Gorgeous set out with amazing gardens and pool area. We ordered some of there breakfast and it was so nice eating it outside on our porch

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

This is the 4th time I have stayed at Poppies and I still love it! Its a haven away from the mayhem outside its front doors!
The place is really quiet - even the staff are quiet! I dont think it would suit people who like poolside fun, music and drinking time poolside but if you want to chill by the pool, sleep in late and then have breakfast on your front porch while you feel like being lazy then its an awesome place! The rooms and decks are private so you dont see much of other guests either.
I love the outside bathrooms, the private decks, the helpful reception and pool staff, the good free wifi, the saltwater pool and the tranquility!
My neice said she found a hair in the filtered water so thats really the only thing we can complain about!

• Stayed July 2013
Berri, South Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This review is a bit late but I thought I would make a contribution to Poppies. They have been here for many years. One of the first I believe. It is located opposite Poppies Restaurant in Poppies Lane. So it is in a good central spot where you can walk down Jalan Legian or the other way to Kuta Square. Poppies is not a high rise hotel or a block of apartments. You get to live in a stand alone cottage. My cottage was near the pool and surrounded by gardens. There is a small hut at one end of the pool which is a cool haven to hop on to one of the two computers to contact your fiends or just surf for free. Or you can read one of the books in the small library. The pool is small but really nice. It is nice too, just to walk around the gardens away from the madness of what's outside. The lane is a dangerous place to be! The motorbikes charge through so be careful if you have a hearing problem. Hold on tight to your bags too (just to be safe). The staff are very helpful at Poppies. I noticed a splotch on the floor next to my bed one morning. I wiped it clean and there it was again the next morning. After investigation, I found a really big gecko sitting on top of a wooden beam. Staff offered to get it but I didn't want it "disposed of' so I just moved my bed over a bit more making sure I wasn't a target. Poppies is a nice quiet peaceful haven where you can get a good nights sleep. I will stay there again, no worries.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have stayed many times here and always return due to the ambience and beauty of the cottages and Gardens.

The pool area is quite unique as an Oasis right in the heart of Kuta.

Its very quiet in the cottages and you would never know outside is a very busy gang. Its just so central and relaxing here, I cannot see myslef not returning soon.

Fair value for money and an amazing place to relax and eat close by at Poppies REstuarant or UNs

Room Tip: All rooms similar
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Poppies Bali? Share your experiences!