“Nice but not perfect” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Kartika Plaza, Kuta, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #36 of 337 hotels in Kuta
“Nice but not perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Travelled here for a quick 5 night stay with the family and loved many things about the place. The pool and grounds with swim up pool bar would have to be a family favourite and the selection of drinks ( adults and kids) was great. We stayed in the standard rooms and found them to be quite small, always clean and fresh but a little cramped. Breakfast at 'the pond' was disappointing, when paying this much for a hotel I don't expect to be sitting on chairs that are stained and have holes in the covers. The buffet food was often empty so we were waiting around quite a lot and then when it did arrive it was cold. Getting a coffee could also be quite a task. Overall the location and cleanliness will bring us back in the future but I will upgrade to a larger room.

671 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Mandurah, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Thanks to all at Kartika. This is our third stay at this wonderfull hotel. Check in and out was a breeze. All the staff are wonderfull a special thanks to Made Supereani, Bintang, and all the pool staff. We are always treated as family rather than just another guest
.Cheers Ken & Lesley Preston

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for ocean facing it is worth it
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Enjoyed our 5 days stay at this property in Feb.
We opted for a Pool view Garden room, which has a great view of the pool & also the ocean beyond (if ur lucky to get a room at the far end near the pool).
The first thing that hits you is the largeness of the property which you enter from a typical two lane street.
Check-in took about 40 minutes, but the staff were polite & helpful.
The rooms are decently sized & the bathrooms are good with a bath tub. We had a leak in the bath tub, which was fixed quickly upon intimation.
The hotel has a good spread of Breakfast buffet - but you need to be early, as it is normally crowded esp over the weekend.
It's located in the centre of Kuta, so street shopping & food joints are very easy & just a stone's throw away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4D3N with our 8 month old baby. We stayed on the 4th floor in an ocean facing room. We asked for an early check in and was able to check in at 1pm. We were also provided a baby cot. To our horror, we discovered bed bugs on our mattress and the baby cot. We immediately alerted the housekeeping and they came to investigate and eventually shifted us to another room and told us that they will close the affected room for two days after clearing the bed bug. We were impressed by their prompt action but slightly disappointed at the same as we had a baby with us and we refused to take another cot for her.

We dined at The pond restaurant (this is where daily buffet breakfast with a wonderful and delicious spread was served as well) and Tepan noodle Restaurant (which had a splendid ocean
view) and Food choices were abound and quality was excellent. The hotel has very good pool facilities and even our baby enjoyed the shady kid pool. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the discovery mall which is a busy and big shopping mall. It holds numerous cafe, eateries and souvenir shops. The back of this mall opens up to the ocean and if you choose to stay here between 6-6.30pm, you will be able to witness the magnificent sunset.

I tried the hotel spa as well and the service was great and I enjoyed my session. Only minus was some construction was going on at nearby premise at 9pm when i was having my massage and I couldn't get some shut eye. The fitness centre looked great as well but I didn't try it though. The treadmills faced aquariums filled with colorful fish and my 8 month old was fascinated by them. The hotel had ramps everywhere and it made it easier for us to use baby stroller.On the last day we asked for a late checkout and they told us that some government delegates were coming but still managed to let us extend for an hour.

Overall I enjoyed my stay in discovery kartika thoroughly and appreciated it's proximity to the
airport very much. Bali traffic can be quite a bit to handle and it would have been difficult to keep
a hyperactive 8 month old too long in her seat in the car while traveling to and fro from the airport. Last but not least, Balinese love kids (men and women alike) and the staff of discovery kartika was no exception and everyone would stop and question us about our baby and share
their own experience and play with the baby as well. Some even offered to look after her while we dined but she's not really a social butterfly and hence didn't work for us. A great place and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have nicer ocean view and less disturbances by mosquito and crickets
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

FIRSTLY THE GOOD STUFF;
I had a stay booked from 20th to 28th of March. Booked as a sole traveller and all requests were met for the room. The Room was ample & simply furnished and the bath room clean a functional. The check-in process was smooth with no issues and after a long trip that was important. The room was a garden facing one. The little niggles were.....The bed needed stripping the next day as inexplicably there seemed to be level of fine sand in the bed. The fridge worked but a little underpowered I felt. The AC was in the same vein as the fridge but it was comfortable if the doors were kept shut and a key card left in the slot so the AC stayed on 24/7.

The Breakfast will not disappoint anyone as it was good quality, plentiful and varied to cover all tastes. The staff from start to finish wanted to please and were always attentive.

The main pool was physically clean and well maintained. But I was not sure about water quality as I ended up with an eye infection, a sore throat and sinuses from the first swim. This normally indicates poor bacterial quality. There seemed to be very little chlorine in the water which most will like, but may lead to problems as I encountered.

The Spa treatments were worth a visit. I had a back wax as the first treatment. The next day a 4 hand massage, the following days a facial and finally another 4 hand massage. The prices were very good and the girls did a cracking job. If I lived in Bali I'd visit the spa weekly!

THE LOW POINTS;
The hotel was quiet and not noisy at all for the area and all hotel functions did not intrude at all. So it was sad that some staff paid no notice to the do not disturb sign and kept knocking even when you did not answer, just to give you water or tooth brushes in my case. The hotel then offered me a beach view room to compensate, which was very welcome as I never asked for this. The AC was a different quality as had better control. Sadly though, on one day there was banging outside my door before 9am, that I thought someone was breaking into the next room! The workmen were taking a roof panel down out side. I felt they should have started work after the last call for breakfast at 10.30am to save the rude awakening! Another day a middle-aged Japanese looking gent banged loudly at my door at 5.30am. I reluctantly opened my door and must have given him such a withering WTF look, that me muttered 'so solly' and beat a hasty retreat....can't blame the hotel for that, but the lesson may be... possibly take your own do not disturb sign!

To conclude; Hotel - Kuta - avoids........
would I go back to that hotel? the answer is defiantly YES if staying in Kuta. I would take the beach view next time for sure as the balcony was far better than the garden view as it had a day bed on it too with a larger table. Kuta can be a tad tiring with constant intrusions from street sellers etc. As a lone traveller I found dark sun glasses and an Ipod/walkman great for deterring unwanted intrusions. It has to be said - If you are infirm or a wheel chair child buggy user you are going to struggle in Kuta. This is due to the pavement access as they are at least 10 inches high and very uneven/broken. Also the level of traffic is a danger as mopeds will appear out of openings across your path as paths are for whomever wants to use them, that includes mopeds, so best be fleet of foot! - food is generally good and the hawkers food 'halls are a good choice, but look at what % is going to be added to your meal as it can be as hight as 21% with tax and service charges. Balinese people as Indonesians are quite genial, so you'll feel quite safe. But be aware that as a foreigner you will be seen as their next pay packet. Simple rule is; you will be overcharged! to whatever they can get away with. So haggle like mad and walk on if the price looks to much or too cheap inversely. Don't expect correct change as the currency is such a high level (£1 = 14,300 rupiah that coins are worthless and might be rounded to nearest 500 rupiah

Other points of note: Alcohol is expensive as is cigarettes. The limit is 1ltr at customs. Expect to pay $25 US as entry visa and $15 as an exit fee at airport. Taxi to Kuta is a 'quoted' 150,000. I offered 100,000 which was accepted for a ten min ride. Fact - Bali is not as cheap as you might expect if compared to Thailand for instance, but will not tax the average pocket too much.

Room Tip: If you can swing to a better view, worth taking this option. Order taxi to airport from hotel. cos...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We booked a Villa and were told some [--] and bull story about some alleged "military" operation therefore we could not have our villa which of course was booked and paid for months ago. They waited until we arrived in Bali before they had the decency to tell us and then dumped us in a standard room as there is nothing else available!!!! I go onto the website to check to see what else is available and guess what there are better rooms available so I ring the reservations and tell them I am calling from Australia and want to book in and yep there are really good rooms still available at the right price!!!!!! When I explain who I actually am and what they have done to us the back pedalling starts at a hundred miles an hour oh sorry I make mistake I make mistake our system very slow what a load of rubbish....... Don't waste your time on a dishonest deceitful hotel that can't be straight up with you about what the problems are ...... I will certainly be letting all and sundry know not to stay at a place that can't be honest with their clients

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The hotel rooms are good and well maintenance. We have a beach view from the room balcony. The Kuta's jogging track is in the hotel and The discovery shopping mall is in next door. The breakfast buffet are very various, from western to Balinese style.

Room Tip: Rooms with beach view are great!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!