“Dont stay here until they have finished renovations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bali Dynasty Resort

You added Bali Dynasty Resort to your Saves list
Bali Dynasty Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Kartika Plaza | Box 2047, Kuta, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #18 of 190 Hotels in Kuta
Adelaide, Australia
“Dont stay here until they have finished renovations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

This place is undergoing a major upgrade.
When we arrived we were put in a room only finished that day and work was going on in other rooms around us all day.
We had to move rooms as our air conditioner and TV didnt work.
Our new room experienced air conditioning,telephone and electrical failures.
It took a long time to get these issues fixed.
While staff were all very friendly they appeared to lack the technical expertise to solve the problems quickly.
We were offered free meals etc to remedy the shortcomings but the facts are they shouldnt have taken our bookings without first checking that the rooms would be ready.
Other people experienced similar problems not geting into their rooms until 11.00 pm having arrived early afternoon.
In summary it would probably be a satisfactory place to stay when the renovation process is finished later in 2009-- in the meantime you will be taking pot luck.
Also the place is alive with young Australian families-- and I mean plenty of toddlers and babies-- if you are in this category and love Kuta and all that this entails you will likely love it-- if you are older and like a more peaceful existence i would stay at Nusa Dua and do day trips to Kuta for shopping etc.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

GREAT HOTEL FOR AUSSIES. Heaps of families with young kids. Great kids club and kids pool and irish family pub, band will take requests. All you need for a family holiday at a good price. Close to Waterbom park and Discovery Mall and Kuta Square shopping areas

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Caloundra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

we had requested a ground floor studio family room. we got the ground floor, with all the noise. our room would have to be the worst positioned room #815. it was facing the entry to the hotel, so we heard everyone and car coming and going. plus at the back there was the staff gate, which guests used as well as a short cut, which banged and screeched all hours.
the room itself though was good in size and served us well.
would have been a lot happier if we got a quieter room.
the drainage isn't too good in the shower, and wasn't as nice as it looked in photo's on website.
the resort itself caters well for young families, the pool area is great.
Kids club needs a major update. the only working toy was a playstation. inside was really run down, and it looked like it needed a good going over.
the kids club staff are great, very friendly. can recommend the babysitting service.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Sby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

It is an old hotel with convenient location in Jalan Kartika Plaza.
Check in was efficient although not too friendly.
Room was old but quite clean and roomy.Furniture needs to be modernized.We had Yumcha in Lotus Chinese Resto.Food was good considering No MSG.Very friendly staff in Lotus resto.Swimming Pool was impossible to get into cause too crowded which is good sign for their bizniz but not to our enjoyment.
Gracie Kelly Irish Pub was cozy.Staff were very friendly and helpful.Drinks were good and reasonably priced.
Ample parking lots and good security.
Renovation of the hotel was cleanly conducted.Kids zone pool was good.
If you need an average hotel in a good location then this is it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

Let me start off my saying that this is only my opinion and I am giving a general view on things. I read a lot of reviews before I went to Bali and you do need to keep an open mind on things.

My family and I (2 adults/2 kids - 4 and 7) stayed at the Bali Dynasty in the middle of March for 2 weeks. I really liked the Bali Dynasty. I thought the service and staff were excellent and the facilities were very good. My kids really enjoyed going to the kids club. They seemed to spend a lot of time swimming in the kid’s pool but there were plenty of other activities to keep them amused. My children had lunch at the Kids Club on numerous occasions. This cost $35,000 Rupiah each. It included a drink, a meal of their choosing and a bowl of ice-cream. Overall, I think this was very good value. My eldest son did mention though that he wished the servings were bigger (food and ice-cream). The kids really enjoyed the 56 meter water slide as did their parents.

The resort has a lovely adult’s only section that should be taken advantage of at least once. The staff seemed to be on their toes when children did venture into the area with non compliant parents.

The resort is currently undergoing renovations. When we were there only 189 rooms were in occupancy. The renovations are being done in a way that you wouldn’t really know they were happening. The noise is kept to a minimum and the areas that are being completed are covered by walls of photos. The renovations are to be completed by the end of May and then the other rooms are to be started. I was told that by the start of September 2009 all areas should be completed. I was also told that the rooms are expected to go up in price per night but this is the first increase in a long time.

It was mentioned in previous reviews that you need to have breakfast before 8.00am otherwise it gets too crowded. Yes it does get crowded but the only trouble you are going to have finding a table is if you are a party of more then 4 people. We never had trouble finding a table and did notice that the only complaints were from people who had over 5 people wanting to eat together. You can always get a plate, a meal or a drink no matter what time you frequent the breakfast room. The breakfasts are delectable and although we did go to Daddy’s Café across the road based on other reviews, we did find that although they were cheaper, they had less choice and the serving sizes were small. We ended up getting the vouchers and ate breakfast at the resort for the rest of our stay. My belly got a little bigger during this time buy hey, what a yummy way to go. Someone else mentioned that they don’t cater for the healthy eaters but there is plenty of fruit and the bircher muesli is very nice.

I had my massages at the Spa located on the property. The massages are more expensive then if you went somewhere else or if you got a massage on the beach. As the resort is NOT beach front, I felt more comfortable getting it done by the great staff at the spa. A 20 minute massage was $60,000 rupiah.

Our family was given a book of vouchers (not sure if everyone gets these – depending on your room type) and these are definitely to be taken advantage of. We received a free theme night meal, free laundry of 15 pieces (hand wash socks and undies and put heavier stuff in for laundering) and a free 45 minute massage.

There is also another voucher book that gives you cheaper meals around the Kuta area as well as entry into Waterbom Park. Do take advantage of that one as I forgot to take it and although the food is very reasonably priced at Waterbom Park, it would have been nice to have had lunch included. Also if you do go to Waterbom Park hire a gazebo. We hired a small gazebo for $150,000 rupiah and this was ample for the 4 of us. When you order lunch your meal gets delivered to you, which is nice. Waterbom Park is a great day out. For someone who thought they would only spend there time in the kids area (fantastic) I went on almost all the rides. Also, if you are planning to go to Waterbom Park, do plenty of lunges before you go as climbing up all those steps time and time again was hard on my poor legs.

We booked a driver to see some of the sights of Bali. We did not want to have to pay US prices so we thought this was the best option. His name was Wayan and he spoke decent English and had a good knowledge of this country. He was also on time and seemed to care that we were enjoying our stay in Bali. The costs for the whole day was $400,000 rupiah. If you do hire a driver make sure you tell them where you want to go and where you don’t want to go. Some drivers get commission from stall holders and you don’t want to be spending your whole time fending off hawkers. Wayans number is 0812 366 6847.

In regards to Bali itself, these are some of the things I noticed. Once again, only my opinion, not gospel. Do not let the fact that other people might have paid less for something start to get you down. I was starting to feel a little “ripped off” when I heard of other people’s bargains, but after further discussion with these people I realised that they frequent Bali at least 2 or 3 times a year so they know who gives the best deals and who to avoid. As long as you are happy with what you paid then that should be enough.

When you go out to eat pick a restaurant that is not attached to a hotel. Our meals were alot cheaper when we did this. Restaurant choice is personal so I have purposely not put names of restaurants as some of the places we did frequent on other's recommendations, I wish we hadn't.

Also be aware of tax and service charges when you eat out. The highest we paid was 21%. This can add many thousands of rupiah to your bill and if you are on a budget it is worth noting.

Beware if you are a non-smoker. In Bali you can smoke anywhere and by the end of our trip I wanted to scream abuse at all the smokers who did not give a hoot about people who were trying to eat their meals or for people who had young children.

Towards the end of our trip we starting buying ice creams at the mini mart instead of at the restaurant we ate at. There is a supermarket a few doors down on the left of the hotel and this had a good selection of ice creams to choose from.

Also the Kodak store next to the hotel does have a good rate and the DVD store next door to the supermarket gives you more free copies of DVD’s then anyone else we went to. We bought 39 DVD’s and so far have had no problems.

There is no smoking in the Departure Lounge of the Bali Dynasty but we did notice the smell of smoke in there anyway. Departure Lounge is good and if you don’t want to pay an extra fee for late checkout, it is worth making use of the facilities. The lounge provides towels, soap and shampoo for showers and the lockers are a decent size.

Carrefour is a great supermarket to snap up a bargain. They had everything under the sun and my husband and I spent hours looking around. The water at the supermarket was very cheap. I can’t remember how much the taxi ride cost us to get there from the resort but it was less then $35,000 rupiah. There are also some nice eating spots here.

I read somewhere that the Matahari department store has the same prices then if you were to barter at a stall. I do not believe this to be true. You can definitely get things cheaper from the stalls if you are willing to bargain. If like me however, you just wanted to shop in peace then the department stores are the way to go. The difference in price is very minimal. If you go to the upper floors of the Matahari you can save even more. These items are not souvenir based but they are very cheap and not of bad quality. I bought T-shirts for my 4 year old at $29,500 rupiah and a hooded light weight jacket for about $65,000 rupiah. The Discovery Shopping Mall has great items too but their souvenir sections are more expensive as these are geared for the Japanese market.

A lot of other guests at the hotel mentioned that the stall holders no longer seem “desperate” for a sale and will knock back lower bidders. This happened to me on a couple of occasions. You just need to decide whether you really want what you are bidding for.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay in Bali and the Bali Dynasty was the place to be if you have a young family. It has a great atmosphere and the staff is fantastic.

Thanks to all who provided info to me before I went on my trip and if you would like any additional information, please feel free to email me.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

A great hotel with many facilities & outlets. Excellent service from staff based on 5* hotel standards! Would undoubtely stay in the same resort if i return in bali.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Warrnambool, Victoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

We stayed at the Bali Dynasty for a week, from a recommendation from family friends. We read in brochures that it was beach front - its not, great for kids- which in a sense it was with the kids club. We found the hotel crowded/crammed in too close to the pool area, with very dated accomodation that was in desperate need of a refurbishment. (which was being done in some parts of the resort at the time of our stay) The breakfast was very ordinary with tea in an urn, and coffee in a ready made machine, so if you wanted anything more special ie: Earl Grey tea/English Breakfast you had to pay for it. The breakfast was not aimed at people who wanted to eat on the healthy side ie: no lo-fat milk, all the cereals were sugar coated and the bread was dry. Our room had a leaking ceiling, noisy aircon. and a poky little balcony. On the pluses, the king size bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was modern and the Themed meal nights were good. We found Tuban and Kuta noisy, polluted and overpopulated, beachs over-rated and would not return to the area again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Bali Dynasty Resort? Share your experiences!