“Balis WORST kept secret!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Warung Babi Guling Pak Malen

Warung Babi Guling Pak Malen
Cross Road Sunset Road Kuta-bali | In front of Kuta Point, Kuta, Bali, Indonesia
+62 361 7452968
Improve this listing
Ranked #86 of 459 Restaurants in Kuta
Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Balis WORST kept secret!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I actually 'discovered' this little humble, down to earth restaurant circa 2006 when we stayed at the Uma Sapna villas nearby. While we did order through our concierge we just HAD to find out where they made this awesome Babi Guling that wasn't all the way in Ubud!

Turns out it was, literally, just round he block - how sweet was that?

Years later the place hasn't changed all that much, still going strong, still serving up their delicious, mouthwatering Babi Guling (with soup) to thousands of customers and even expanded within a few years.

This used to be Balis best kept secret, but secrets never stay secret for long and besides great places like these should be shared!

• Visited October 2012

• Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
“The best suckling pig EVER!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

If you think that Babi Guling (Suckling Pig) Ibu Oka in Ubud is good. Then you haven't eat the best yet. Babi guling pak malen is DA BOMB!!

The crispiness of pork's skin, the juiciness of the meat, the deliciousness of the pork satay will stay in your mouth, your mind and your soul for a very long time. Even my mouth is watered just by writing this review.

The place is no fancy, but clean. And compare to Ibu Oka (which I personally think kinda smelly), this place is easy to reach if you're staying around seminyak - legian.

You can also order it to take away (make sure they put the rice and vegetables on separate container) and order for extra crunch. Then you're good to go!

• Visited March 2012
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Delicious Babi guling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is a great place to try the authentic much loved Balinese specialty babi guling. It's a no frills environment but clean with great tasting food and cold drinks, including bintang . Great value; our lunch for four, which was the full set with soup ( as described well in previous posts) and drinks - 2 bintangs, 2 bottled water, cost 132 rp, fantastic! We really wanted to try this local dish while we were here and are glad we did so at Pak Malen.

Visited July 2012
“Enak!! (decious)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I am so lucky to know this place. Got recommendation from my boss.
It's close to Seminyak and Legian, the place I stay mostly on my visit to Bali. It's just right in the red-light corner of Sunset road to Seminyak road, across from Sunset Road Point Mall.
I had a complete set with es jeruk (orange juice) for Rp. 32.5k.
All the meal in this set tastes really good. I don't really like spicy food but the spiciness there really balance the meat so everything tastes well and so perfect. I've tried Babi Guling in Denpasar (Chandra) and Ubud (Ibu Oka), but this one beats the others and easy to reach.
I would highly recommend you to try it.

• Visited July 2012
Singapore
“Pretty good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

It was our first time having babi guling and we chose to have the set (a little of everything) with soup. The set was really good but if I were to eat there again, I will select the satay, crispy pork bits and more sambal - they were fantastic. The soup tasted similar to "Chinese kiam chai teng" (salted vegetable soup). The meat slices which included a slice of "bakkwa" were good. Comparing Pak Malen's pork crackling to the roasted suckling pigs served in Chinese restaurants, Malen's tougher and less crispy. I prefer them thin & crispy.

• Visited July 2012