“Nice hotel, especially if you like peacocks...” 4 of 5 stars

Sun Island Hotel Kuta
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Kartika Plaza 88, Kuta, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #41 of 189 Hotels in Kuta
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Nice hotel, especially if you like peacocks...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My bed here was exceptionally comfortable. I didn't want to get up. Ever. I'm not put off by giant peacock decorations thankfully, but if you are, this may not be the hotel for you. The decor of the room was lovely. However, I was mildly uneasy about the window into the bathroom, with a sterling view of the toilet from the bed. There was a blind, but it was on the bedroom side. I'm very glad that I wasn't traveling with an oddball who might have opened it (although, you probably shouldn't travel with people like that anyway) but still, it makes for slightly uneasy toilette!

Breakfast was pretty good (apart from the fact that another guest stole my poached eggs!) and I had a lunch in the restaurant (wind tunnel!) which was a delicious tempe burger and fries. I also ordered from room service a few times, which was prompt and of a good standard. The range of alcoholic coffees was excellent, and the one I had was delicious.

The hotel is in an excellent location if you want to go to Waterbom or Discovery Mall, and Kuta Square is around 15 minutes walk away.

The only real downside to this hotel is that, because the pool -which is very nice- is in the middle of the hotel, and therefore does not get a great deal of sun.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room. Mine was on the road and I got a lovely view of the roof of a backpackers...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SunIslandhotelkuta, General Manager at Sun Island Hotel Kuta, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Jay M,

Greetings from the fun side of Bali!

First of all, thank you for choosing to stay in Sun Island Hotel Kuta in your recent holiday. Your review is highly appreciated. Your positive feedback has been shared among my team who will keep delivering the best service to all our guests. I am delighted to know that you had an amazing time with us. As you were implying, we do use top quality brands for our mattresses, pillows and linen to ensure guests' total comfort. Despite the poached egg incident, I am happy that you enjoyed what was offered on our restaurant & room service's menus.

Thanks again for all your feedback. My team and I are looking forward to your return!

Ismullah, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Went with another couple in May 2014. Both rooms were upgraded to pool view connecting suites upon check-in, which was great! Rooms were clean. My friend's room had a plumbling problem but service was efficient and it was fixed soon after we informed front office. All in all, had a nice stay at the hotel. Did hope that they could replenish the bottles of water though.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool have the best view!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SunIslandhotelkuta, General Manager at Sun Island Hotel Kuta, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear tadtad87,

Greetings from Sun Island Hotel Kuta!

Thank you for choosing to stay in our hotel recently. I am pleased to learn that you had a good time with us. In response to your comment with regard to bottled water, please kindly be advised that it is complementary and will be replenished on daily basis by our Housekeeping, unless when guests put up a DND sign. Thank you again for your feedback; please rest assured that we keep raising our bar high in all aspects of our services & facilities. Last but not least, my team and I are looking forward to your next Bali getaway with us.

Best regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

stayed here in march this year for the second time for my wedding preparations. The staff are doing really well with the english and the staff were very helpful with calling my makeup artist when she never showed. Dewa makes very good cocktails and was very helpful with what to do in the area. I will be staying there in a family suite in august this year. the pool access room was great.

Room Tip: Pool access is great. although the restaurant can get quite noisy... but it is kuta! :)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
SunIslandhotelkuta, General Manager at Sun Island Hotel Kuta, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear msammym,

Greetings from lively Kuta!

Thank you for staying in Sun Island Hotel Kuta, and I am ecstatic to know that we will see you again in August! Your kind word is appreciated, but most of all I am so happy to know that you had a memorable stay with us. My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Yours sincerely,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Between the jet lag, and the 1$ =11,750 IDR exchange rate, I was overpaying people left and right (not proud of this fact)...the front staff of the Sun Island were the only ones in Kuta to alert me to one of my mistakes, and give me the proper change! Due to their honesty, I'd definitely recommend this hotel, in a city full of hustlers :)

Stayed June 2014
SunIslandhotelkuta, General Manager at Sun Island Hotel Kuta, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Sharyon C,

Greetings from Sunny Bali!

Thank you for choosing to stay in Sun Island Hotel Kuta. Your review, though concise, means a lot to us. It was a shame that you had unpleasant experience upon your arrival in Bali. Thank you for highlighting our service culture. Besides our location -- which is near Bali's International Airport and major shopping malls -- our service is second to none in the area. My team and I are looking forward to giving you another memorable stay, hopefully in not-too-distant future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I recently stayed at the Sun Island for 7 nights. I was in a ground floor pool access room while she stayed in one of their suites.
Check in was fast and the staff were very friendly. The welcome drink was lovely.
I chose to pay for my accommodation there and then and they asked if I would like to leave a deposit - no particular amount was requested in the event I was to use additional services. I declined as I have never been asked to pay a deposit in any hotel I have ever stayed at before and thought it was strange. I advised the staff that I wished to pay for any other services by cash ( at the end of my stay).
My room was very clean , while the king bed and pillows were one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The only downside to the room was the shower in that the water would spill out onto the floor and leave a puddle around the sink(no shower curtain).
One of the days we decided to sit by the pool and have a couple of drinks. Pool staff did not approach us or any other guests to see whether we would like a drink/ food etc. After getting their attention to take our order we were requested to settle the bill straight away despite asking if this could be charged to our room.Another couple were also instructed to pay up front too.
We also arranged to have laundry done . My laundry was picked up from my room prior to 8.00am one morning, however when I had not received by8.00pm that night I made enquiries on its whereabouts. I was informed that I too could not get my laundry unless I paid for it straight away! I advised that I did not have the correct change so they reluctantly charged to my room $13 AUD.
Breakfast was adequate, however not as extensive as other hotels I have stayed at.
The hotel is in a great location and is very clean and modern.There is entertainment on most nights at the restaurant/ bar out front which at times could be a little noisy from the rooms but was not a big issue.
If the pool staff were more attentive to guests and the hotel not uptight about payment up front, this would be a fantastic hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Yarni71,

Greetings from Sunny Bali!

I trust this message finds you in good cheers. Thank you for staying in Sun Island Hotel Kuta and posting a review on us. Although you experienced a flawless check in, I am sorry that you had some disappointing situations during your stay. Please kindly allow me to offer explanation. In regards to deposit upon check in, it is done based on our standard procedure to cover incidental expenses. Please be advised that most hotels in Bali apply this procedure. Deposit can be made by credit card verification or by cash; this deposit will be returned in full at check out . Verification upon check in is often helpful to avoid hassle on check out due to credit card decline. If in any case a guest refuses to submit deposit, payment should be made immediately upon delivery of order. I hope this sufficed in explaining the situations in regards to your laundry and restaurant order. I apologize that you did not receive immediate attention when you were sitting at pool area. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Our FB department has acknowledged this and will take measures to ensure guests' needs are better anticipated in the future. I also appreciate your feedback in regards to our breakfast option. We'll use your opinion as reference to improve our breakfast section. My appreciation for your comment on our room. We do use top quality mattresses, pillows and linen in our rooms for maximum comfort. Despite the inconveniences you experienced, I am hoping that you will still plan another getaway at Sun Island Hotel Kuta in the future.

Looking forward to your return,

Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

i stayed there april 2013.

bad research led me to stay in kuta. the hotel wasn't the problem. it was kuta that was the total letdown. i never viewed bali the same way again.

back to the hotel. it was paradise in that rowdy area. i often found myself not wanting to go out. it's clean and comfy, and quite near the discovery shopping mall.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear marie s,

Greetings from Sun Island Hotel Kuta!

Thank you for posting a review on us. I am sorry that you found Kuta area far from what you had expected. It is indeed far busier than Ubud or farther north of Bali. However, I am pleased that you found comfort and convenience in our hotel. If you happen to be in Bali again in the future, I am hoping that you will consider staying with Sun Island Hotel Kuta again. In the meantime, have a wonderful one!

Katherine, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We got married at Sun Island Kuta on the 09.05.2014 and it was truely beautiful, more than we could have imagined. Our ceremony and reception was on the roof top venue. Sun Islands wedding coordinator Shanti did an awsome job of organizing our day and ensuring that it ran smoothly. We are extremely with the service we received and how our day went. Everything exceeded our expectations. We highly recommend Sun Island Kuta not only for a destination wedding location but also for holiday accomodation. The cost of the wedding including the ceremony and accomodation at Sun Island Kuta and there sister resort The White Rose was well priced and we received great value for our money. Everything we needed and required for the wedding ceremony and reception was included in the wedding package. Everything from the flower decorations to the buffet was done to perfection and well presented. Thoughout our stay the service from all staff was wonderful and highly professional. Pavoz restaurant makes the best cocktails, delightful. We will definatly be back for our first wedding anniversary.

Room Tip: The pool access rooms, say no more.
Dear Kristy B,

Greetings from sunny Bali!

Trust this message finds you and your husband well. I would like to congratulate you once again on your recent marriage, and I am wishing both of you a blessed, happy life together! We were honored to be part of your big day that went smoothly from the start. Thank you for your trust in our team; your special mention of Shanti has been passed on to her. I am delighted that you had a memorable moment with. Thank you for recommending us to other travelers, especially those who may be looking for a wedding venue. My team and I are looking forward to your return!

With best regards,

Ismullah, General Manager

Been to Sun Island Hotel Kuta? Share your experiences!