“Still good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 162 Kuta B&B and Inns
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Still good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Given that Gora has a pool and Kuta can be so hot, it is still good value for the Rp. I stayed here a couple of years ago so did make my way back there this time after my trip through other parts of Bali, Kuta is so close to the airport etc.
Did check a few other places but all with pools in the Poppies area were asking 300,000Rp plus...Gora was still only 150,000 Rp. No bedbugs in my room, and if you can tolerate the fact that people tend to talk and laugh till at least 2am each night, and yoiu do hear it .....its still ok. If you find something better (with a pool) in Kuta for that price please let me know.

Room Tip: When they tell you they only have Aircon rooms left, insist about When will a fan room be available.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
east kilbride
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

The best thing about this hotel is the swimming pool! Stunning and spacious but they clean it at daft times which was annoying!
The breakfast was included and was good ... toasties with tea or coffee and a selection of other things but the banana toasties (jaffle) were our daily choice.
The bed bugs are unbelievable, I heard it's the same everywhere in Indonesia but we actually saw them crawling all over the bed, and as far as I was aware, you never see them! Some big, some tiny, but all disgusting! There were small blood spots on the walls (which is apparently a sign of bed bugs) and we had to get our mattresses changed on several occasions as were waking up in the night feeling them on us and finding marks all over our bodies. It was horrible!! To be fair though, the staff were more than willing to change the beds although we encountered a problem not long after one of their visits to our room ... which I'll discuss below. Also they don't actually know how to kill the bugs, instead spray this horrible disinfectant like chemical which smells terrible and apparently just moves them around rather than killing them.
I also found some kind of thread worm on me when in the shower, which was a pipe pouring a straight flow of water!
So the problem with the hotel staff entering our room ... money went missing from our room and no one would help us, we even went to the tourist police but apparently didn't have enough evidence! We had hidden it in a wallet under a pile of clothes, but when we left that evening for a night out, there was no money in the wallet.
It was cheap, the pool was great and our friends stayed there but we defo won't be back!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

I came with my sister on a business trip, and we decided we should save a little on our hotel as our airtickets are overpriced during the time we booked it.

We stayed in the room with fan.. It was pretty fine for me. The weather was hot in the day so its quite okay when I took a shower with no hot water.

It costs us 180,000RP for a night, i think that was pretty reasonable.
The pool is nice. the people are nice too.

Oh ya, and i remember while i was shampooing my hair, suddenly there's no water, but after about 3 mins it came back.

hah. I did enjoy my stay there somehow. its kinda worth it for the experience.
And its also a nice place to make friends with other travellers.

However on the other hand my sis does not like it, she prefers those good hotels, too bad for her. ha ha

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Earth City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

Having stayed here for a few times on repeated trips to Bali, i could say that this place is not for everyone.

This place is inconsistent with it's acceptance for a reservation (note that the only way to reserve a room is for you to make an overseas call to their reception desk n note the time difference bcuz usually they only take reservations during daytime Bali time bcuz at night, the staff manning the counter dont handle reservations, or so i was told)

So, if u call once, and got rejected by them, call again another day at a different time. U'd eventually get it. GORA INN is really very popular amongst those in the know n fellow backpackers. Their turnover rate is very fast.

It also provides bike rentals at 50,000IDR per DAY. Please negotiate price and please take up the insurance cover they offer you albeit at an additional nominal fee.

Rooms is abt 175,000 IDR per nite for rooms with fan. (writing this on 24 Dec 1:15am) Price is VERY negotiable. And 220,000 IDR per nite for air conditioned rooms. They have limited rooms with air conditioning. Majority of the rooms are with fan. Actually, it's no biggie, bcuz the weather is cool at night. The hotel area and compound is very well kept. No lifts/elevators. Highest floor is the 3rd floor. Solid bed, comfy pillow. Simple rooms, no fancy frills. Toilet is tiled with those small blue tiles (try to imagnine). Shower head is the kind that is mounted on the wall so u cant adjust the position of it. Water pressure, ok. No toiletries given. No towels given (i dunno if u could request from the staffs for towels, i didnt ask, from what i observe most of the guests in the hotel had their own or bought those I LOVE BALI towels from alone the Poppies Lane).

The hotel's pool is new and is great for socializing with other fellow (non snobbish backpackers) hotel guests n share travelling stories.

At ard 175,000IDR a night, dont expect the world. I love this hotel for it's simplicity and feel good, great backpackers environment that they have. It's so easy to interact with other ppl n make new friends along the way, plus it is very comfortable and clean for the price that im paying compared to other cheap accommodations further down the lane.

Breakfast is just coffee/tea with bread, jam n butter. But it made u surprisingly full even though it's not much. I dunno how/why..

There's a superb laundry service that charge you per Kilogram load of laundry (which is cheaper than sorting out different prices for different types of garments) just right behind Gora Inn. The smell of my fresh laundries blew me away!

The location of this hotel is in POPPIES 2, is very near to Tubes bar & restaurant, right beside Taman Sari Cottages abt 50m from the main street of Legian. So walking back aft a night of partying n drunken stupor wont be such a hassle n a drag. So you wont be wasting money on those pillion rides called OJACK/OJEK with the local boys on their less than 200cc motorcycle.

Surrounding Gora inn is the Circle K (like a 7-11), a local convenience store, an internet cafe where u can also call home at a cheaper price compared to other places with such said service. But the cheapest internet cafe i found, was the one opposite Warung Indonesia.

This budget accommodation is great if you were to trave with friends, to have a good time, make merry n make new friends. Not really for romantic couples or the elderly, and is not handicap friendly.

I LOVED my stays at GORA INN n look forward to staying there everytime i visit Bali. Hope you'll do too.

Good luck, stay safe.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Gora Beach Inn? Share your experiences!