World travellers reviewing where we stay en route. If you wish more detail, take a look at our Blog (details in profile) or contact us directly.
Ferry across the water from Ketapang to Gilimanuk (IDR ~6 000/person), then a 4-5 hour local bus ride (~IDR 25 000/person) down the coast to Denpasar. Taxi from there to Kuta Beach/Manadara Bungalows (~IDR 80 000).
– large rooms – most are deluxe
– 5 minutes to /from the airport
– full sized double bed with good linen and very comfortable mattress
– big bathroom with both shower and bath tub
– air con
– plentiful and good quality towels
– good lights
– long writing desk and chair for lap top
– superb TV with plenty of English channels including film, sport, news, documentaries and family shows, plus many more
– lovely gardens
– nice little private pool
– late breakfast (not tested)
– friendly and helpful staff
– better end of town; less touristy and tacky, more local and real life
– daily cleaning.
– in room wi-fi at just IDR 10 000 per day
– good price for Bali
– wi-fi signal kept locking until new router was installed
– some rooms are in a poor state of decor, but they are currently being revamped. That said, they are clean with good furniture.
– light curtains
– no safe
We loved it here. As do a lot of Dutch retirees who stay long term.
Having spent a night in a flea pit dive on arrival in the wrong end of town (full of tourists, clubs, bars and restaurants) we landed here after walking the entire length of the main drag and found this tucked away on the corner by the roundabout.
In the end we enjoyed ourselves so much in Kuta, mainly due to the Manadara Bungalows, that we ended up staying almost two whole weeks, with a short break to Ubud.
Beach quality is not so good here with darkish sand and dirty water.
We went during rainy season when the sea picks up debris. For any kind of a reasonable swim, walk to the northern end of town and jump in there with the locals and other water/surf fans.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Mandara Cottage reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandara Cottage Bali/Kuta