“Good and not so good” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 181 Hotels in Kuta
Perth
“Good and not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel has many good and bad points, on the good side the rooms are large, bathroom is a good size. The hotel and pool grounds are lush and beautiful, there are no rules around the pool such as not being able to take your own drinks down. Great location on the beach. On the negative side the staff are unfriendly, the bed was rock hard. Breakfast is the worst I have had in Bali, limited choices and food is unappealing. We had bali belly while there and the staff were very uninterested in helping us with the situation. I can see why people love this hotel but I will not be returning.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed at the KP for 4 nights last weekend with a 2 year old and a 5 year old. We had the Ambassodor Suite and it was huge. In fact we questioned if we really needed that amount of space as we didnt really use the middle room (of 3) that was a lounge/dining. But it was good to put each kid in each room to go to sleep and us go out on the balcony to have a drink and relax at night.

The room itself was very 'bali' ish with marble everywhere and dark wood furniture. It was all very clean and i didnt see anything at all that i didnt like or thought looked a bit run down. The air con worked, the fridges were quite big and spacious, we had a bath and shower in each of the bedroooms....excellent! The pools were both huge and clean with no mould around them which was great. They both had toddler sections which were a little too tall for my 2 yo but she could still play happily on the very large steps and ledge around the pool. The gardens were maybe a bit run down but with the amount of rain they have it would be hard to have much but mud in some places.

The location of the KP would have to be the best part. It is right in the middle of the restaraunts on legian just part of the Jayakarta. It was so nice to be able to walk both kids to restaraunts or shopping without having to carry them. You couldnt hear anything at all once you were in the hotel grounds so that was an added bonus.

We ate at the restaraunt out the front once and had no issues with service. We also had a few drinks there each night on our way back and the kids loved watching the dancing shows they had. I had no issues with breakfast at all - it was maybe smaller than some of the bigger hotels but they still had a ridiculous amount of items that i figure i would never have the selection of at home so all very good :)

Be wary of the Circle K shop about 100m along the legian beach side. 3 times the shop assistant claimed my hubby had paid with a 10,000 note instead of 100,000 and the first two times managed to confuse him and he agreed. The 3rd he had literally got money from the atm so only had 100,000 and when he argued strongly the guy quickly backed down.

Room Tip: Rooms at the northern end of the hotel (not the beach side) were a lot closer to the pool which was...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We twice had stayed in this hotel and received good service. We loved the food and what I want to highlight is the value for money in what you get. The access itself is very strategic in around Legian and Seminyak, just walk away to beach.

The cons is some of the hotel furniture seems old and rusty, they might need some renovation or furniture refreshment.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Bali, Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The worst experience I ever had.When we arrived in the lobby no one greet us, the reception also not friendly and helpful. The room is dark, need more lighting in the bed room, not only table lamp, no room amenities, safe deposit box did not work, I asked the reception staff to fix it but nobody come until we checked out ( we stay almost 3 weeks ). Staffs in the restaurant also not friendly, never greet and smile, no one take care of my breakfast, I have to take chili sauce by myself in their side station. One morning the coffee was terrible, tasteless and so light I told the waiter but he shout to me and made an excuses that its the standard then finally I order cafe latte instead drinking " water taste coffee"! I sent my laundry, supposed to send to my room but it was not till I have to asked and got them by myself to the front office, and worst thing my t-shirt was missing. I reported to front office staff to follow up but no one was doing follow up nor courtesy call back to my room till AGAIN I have to went downstair and get fix everything by myself. Lucky, they can found my t-shirt.
When check out, no one help us to carry our luggage and AGAIN and AGAIN the reception was doing the check out rudely, not polite as a hotelier which supposed to give excellent service to each guests.
I think Management must look deeper on the service side specially the attitude and behaviour of the staffs. With the old property like that nothing you can much do to get repeater and loyal guests except by delivering warmth and friendly service to guests,create guests engagement so we feel well-being as a guest and feel like home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Just finished my stay at the HKP. I was with a group of 5 women. We stayed in NS block. We had a lovely stay. Yes the rooms are a bit tired and need a spruce up but it is a 3 * hotel. If you want 5* services and rooms you need to stay else where. The food was very good... Nice assortment for breakfast.. Had room service and good choices and prompt , friendly service. The main pool area was nicer than a recent 5* I stayed at in KL. The staff were very friendly and obliging. There was construction next door but I wasn't concerned by it and it didn't go through the night as was suggested in a previous review. We got a discount on our room due to it was a pleasant surprise.go to Briella's across the road from the hotel for great treatments.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

i always end up to feel that thisnis the best hotel in bali.
the pool has warm water, great breakfast, cozy room and nice staff, location is great, at the right heart of seminyak area. you can walk all out just to grab you lunch, dinner or to seminyak boutique, or, just to walk on the beach
try it and u will agree with me :)

Room Tip: ask them to give you the room near the restaurant area
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I was a bit disappointed at Kumala Pantai. I have stayed before and found it ok. This time I found staff quite unfriendly, especially at breakfast and also trying to get towels around the pool. I found rooms when serviced very average. Wifi was shocking always took forever to connect and would then drop out. I had also had booked this accommodation for April but have since changed.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Hotel Kumala Pantai? Share your experiences!