“Fantastic Hotel great staff and location coldest bintang in Bali and beautiful food.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bali Garden Beach Resort

You added Bali Garden Beach Resort to your Saves list
Bali Garden Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Dewi Sartika, P.O.Box 1062, Kuta, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #41 of 191 Hotels in Kuta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I just returned on the 5th May after being there since the 19th April, the staff are friendly and i will go back there again. The food is fantastic and very reasonably priced, we only ate out of the hotel 3 times. The pools are great all three of them. The Beach Bar has the coldest Bintangs in Bali. We hade friends come for lunch and dinner at the hotel and they were impressed. I have stayed at the Bali Garden 12 times because of the location and the friendly staff. The Bali Garden is the only hotel that offers Golf Packages which is great for my husband who is a keen golfer and it is cheap compared to the prices else where.
I just read a review from Ladybug 0208 from Northern Territory about the Bali Garden and she obviously has never travel before and maybe should stay home if that was her view because she would hate every where she goes. I have travelled all over the world. I have been travelling to Bali since 1983 and have seen alot of changes. We use to stay at different hotels every year to see what they were like. I have been to Bali over 30 times and have stayed at the Bali Garden Hotel for the last 5 years, because when you find a great hotel you stick with it.

Room Tip: The New Deluxe Rooms have just been completed.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Indonesian first
NT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

My husband and I just returned from 8 days here at Bali Garden Beach Resort. After reading mixed reviews on Trip Advisor we went there with an open mind and was expecting what we should for a 3 star hotel. I've worked in hospitality for many years, including hotels in different star ratings so some might think this review is a little harsh, but I'm only being honest about our experience. I'm sorry to say but I do have more bad points than good. Handy tips are at the bottom.

GOOD :
* convenient location next to shopping mall and across from Waterbom Park
* cheap food & drinks including alcohol, cheap spa treatments
* nice gardens, nice lobby, pools are nice
* our deluxe room surprisingly had an actual king size bed (not two singles pushed together)
* the Kori Bar has a worker Wyoman (I think that's correct) who works there midday to midnight. He is a very nice and friendly man (we just wish all the staff were like him).
* pancakes made to order at breakfast were delicious
* Airport transfers included in our room rate, only we were not informed of this until we wanted to know how much it would cost for our return transfer back to the airport

BAD :
* We received very bad service on the front desk when we first arrived. They were well aware of our arrival time long before we left Australia. We arrived at 7.30am and the man straight away told us "you are too early". Obviously we were aware of this but had to leave our bags at the hotel so we could go and kill time before checking in. We were told our room may be available around 1pm. Eventually we were given the key at 2.40pm. Knowing that we had arrived at 7.30am, it would have been nice if the staff arranged for our room to be one of the first to be cleaned so that we could move into it a little earlier. When we did eventually check in, we weren't provided any info at all about the resort except to say that "your breakfast vouchers are in the envelope"
* Room was ok, but the bathrooms have not been renovated at all and ours was quite mouldy on the walls and ceiling. Only 2 shampoo bottles provided, one was already half empty. This didn't bother us though as we'd taken our own shampoo & conditioner. We did have to go to the shopping centre to buy shower gel though as only a typical hotel soap was provided which didn't lather at all. Water pressure not good, and temperature was inconsistent .
* Pillows very hard and lumpy. I woke up the first two mornings with a migraine. I requested two more pillows from housekeeping and they kindly provided them. They weren't the best either, but much better than the other ones. I believe if they can afford king size beds then they should be able to afford new pillows.
* Houskeeping times not consistent - was 9.30am one day and 4.30pm another day. Only bothered us these two days, every other day we were out and about.
* We had a ground floor room but still had to go down flights of stairs to get to it. Our balcony door automatically locked from the outside, so we found we had to walk all the way around back through the lobby and downstairs to get back into our room. After a few days I was very frustrated of having to do this, so I asked at reception if the balcony doors have keys. Yes they do. We weren't provided this key when checking in, nor were we advised there was even such a key.
* Adults Only pool is lovely however it is located right next to the family pool. So do expect to hear the kids screaming and splashing just over the garden. There seems to be waiter service around the Adults Only pool sun lounges, but you will NOT get it if you are in the bungalows. For some reason they dont even look in your direction if you are seated there which is very bad service. We had to keep getting up and walking to the family pool bar to order our drinks and food, even after I informed one of the workers at the pool. Either they didn't care or didn't understand english very well. Also do expect the occasional child in the Adults Only pool. There doesn't seem to be any workers around the pool to advise the adult when this does happen though.
* The pool bar is great, but as its a family pool we always seemed to have kids running through inbetween seats splashing and screaming. They seem to take a shortcut through there to get to the shallow kids' pool, instead of walking around. It would be nice if kids weren't allowed in the pool bar area, or even if parents were a bit more considerate.
* Breakfast was average. It closes at 10am, but would be more convenient if it was 10.30am in case you wanted to have a lay in (you are on holidays after all). Juice is not juice, it tastes just like cordial. Found the instant coffee sachets in the teabag boxes (??), which tasted much nicer than the perculated coffee. We seen tables being set up for other guests but found we always had to set up our own and even clear it ourselves so we could sit there to begin with. Dont expect any service towards the end of breakfast time because you wont get it.
* We had arranged an airport transfer to the hotel before we left Australia. When organising our return transfer to leave Bali we asked how much it would cost so that we could see if it would be cheaper to catch a taxi. The hotel informed us that because we were staying longer than 6 nights we receive complimentary transfers, yet we had never been told this.

TIPS:
* Location is not next to Matahari Kuta Square as advised on their website
* When booking tours at the tour desk at the hotel, they only accept cash payment. You are not allowed to put this charge onto your room nor can you use credit card. There is no sign saying this so you wouldn't know otherwise, but I did suggest to them displaying a 'cash only' sign would be helpful.
* Take your own bathroom amenities (or buy when you get there). Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, loofah etc.
* Ask about airport transfers if staying 6 nights or longer as they may not inform you of this.
* We found getting taxis were much cheaper than using drivers who negotiate the rate at the hotel.
* Best place we found to exchange money was at Fuji shop opposite the Matahari shopping centre. No commission and highest rate
* If you are in Bali for pubs and clubs then they are a bit of a walk from here
* Be careful of taxi drivers taking you on a joyride to your destination. We caught a cab at night time from Seminyak wanting to go to Legian beach, but us not paying attention we ended up in Kuta. Not sure if this was miscommunication or if he thought he could get away with taking us the long way around

Overall the service wasn't very good for us at this hotel/resort. The general feel was that the staff just didn't care. No name badges are worn so we had no idea who it was that we were communicating with, so the experience wasn't very personal. Next time we will be staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: No sea view rooms, blocked out by trees
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Bateau Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stayed our last 8 nights in Bali here with 2 small children in March 2011 in a renovated ground floor deluxe room, balcony had access to gardens. Room was a good size, clean with good beds. While they did say it was a renovated room the bathroom had not been renovated.
Staff in the hotel were great, and very friendly.
Main pool was good, abit cloudy at times and where it is shallow for the kids to play, it has all the water tables and there are people smoking which is a pain. But we are in Bali not Oz.
Spa was fantastic. Breakfast was great heaps to choose from, loved and miss the pancakes!! Has great free live entertainment every night on the grass.
Great location close to everything, dicovery shopping centre next door, beach, resturants, waterboom across the road.
This was our 3rd trip to Bali and the first time we had stayed at a bigger resort, I have to say I like the smaller hotels but if you have young kids this place is great. Our kids loved it here as there were so many families staying there with kids, so they always had someone to play with around the pool area, just needs a kids club. There is a real mix of people that stay here, old, young, families 98% are Aussies.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

First time in Bali. Stayed 10 days at the Bali Garden with wife, 4 kids (12, 10, 8 & 8) mother & father in-law. We had a family room with my wife & I with 3 kids. The in-laws had a superior room and one of the kids bunked in with them.

My only complaint was that we were not allowed to have all 4 kids in the family room (although we did a couple of nights). Is difficult with a family of 6 on a budget. Most places only allow up to 5 in a room.

The hotel grounds were fantastic. Very well maintained. The 3 pools were all great. We spent many days just relaxing around the pool. There is a small group of market sellers right next to the hotel along the beach. We became quite friendly with them and got a few great massages on the beach (much cheaper than at the hotel). Miss Sarah charges about 50k for half hour (could get cheaper but felt bad) and is really good. But they wont come onto the hotel grounds.

The hotels location is fantastic. Right next to Discovery Plaza where we ate lunch several times. The black canyon cafe (Discovery Plaza at the beach end) has excellent food (traditional or western) and the best iced coffee. Cappuccino not bad (but not good). Best to get there from the beach and avoid all the 'time share' guys. Then there is the beach markets all along the beach to the north of the hotel. Great fun for an early morning stroll. They are lovely people and very enjoyable to talk to and haggle with.

The actual hotel rooms were nice. I would rate the superior room a 9 out of 10. Its not super flash but is very comfortable and the bathroom was nice. TV worked well with lots of stations. We brought our portable DVD player and plugged it into the LCD TV. The family room was about the same except the bathroom had not been renovated. Was still useable, but not as nice as the superior. But perfectly comfortable. Looks like all room renovations will be finished in the next few months.

The actual interior of the hotel (the passageways etc) were a little shabby, but who cares. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Great king size bed. And the grounds, gardens, pools and outsides were fantastic.

Breakfast was good. I didnt like the bacon much. Too crunchy and not hot. they cook it first thing and it is not fresh off the pan. But my wife loved it. Banana pancakes are great (even after 10 days). And the egg station is excellent. Perfect eggs anyway you want them. Poached, omlette, boiled etc. Great staff at the breakfast area. I have to admit I was missing normal Aussie cereal after about 7 days.

I would definately reccomend this hotel to anyone. Not super classy like some of the expensive hotels. But good value. I wouldnt want anything else for a family holiday in Bali. We will be going back next year.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
western australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

we stayed here for 11 days.we were in bali for a wedding which was at the hotel so there was a big group of us who stayed here.breakfast was ok did`nt like the so called juice we took our own drinks to breakfast.loved the fact you could have pancakes plain or with banana cooked fresh every morning and eggs any way you want also cooked for you while you wait but we kind of got over eating eggs and pancakes.the restaurant at the hotel called the boardwalk is fantastic.it is cheap and the food is lovely.the chicken burger,chicken satay sticks and the woodfire pizzas were our favourites.they have a kids menu but i don`t recommend the chicken nuggets try the chicken strips instead.the staff at the hotel,bars and the restaurant were very friendly and helpful.they have different entertainment everynight like fire dancing.as for the wedding they were fantastic everthing was setup beautifully and the food again was great.we stayed in a renovated family room which was nice.the only let down was the bathroom was a little shabby and the shower took ages for the water to heat up.the gardens in the hotel are beautiful and very well maintained.location is great right next to the discovery mall and across from bubba gumps and the water bom park.overall i found the bali garden hotel to great for our needs it was cheap to stay there and it was cheap to eat there.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

Had another good stay at the Bali Garden Hotel. The rooms were nice and clean. Breakfast was great. Staff friendly and helpful. Outside pool area is gorgeous - lots of friendly loud aussies though and sometimes the water seemed a little cloudy! Boardwalk restaurant is great value, and beautiful location overlooking beach. Loved the beachside sellers at the beach end of hotel. Only problem was that the little security dog, a beagle, had very sore looking eyes that were quite 'gunky' - I thought he had conjunctavitis? When I mentioned it to the guard, he just wiped the dogs eyes with the dogs floppy ears, I hope he gets regular vet attention!! Overall a great place to stay in a great location and we would definately return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

We received prompt, polite and friendly service from all the staff, from the Manager to the cleaning staff

The room was new, clean, airy with a flat screen TV. The bed was large and comfortable and the shower was very roomy with new fittings.

It is centrally located and everything you need is within walking distance.

The gardens of the hotel are its best feature - lush and well maintained. You walk through these magnificient gardens to a sumptions breakfast, with a huge buffet and a hot station where you can order eggs as you like them, pancakes or crepes!! The next best thing are the three swimming pools all well maintained and beautiful. You can walk down from to the pool to the beach.

Its hard to say what I like best about this hotel. its all good. The thing I like least is leaving this hotel and Bali. I am always sad when I leave.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Bali Garden Beach Resort? Share your experiences!