My husband and I just returned from 8 days here at Bali Garden Beach Resort. After reading mixed reviews on Trip Advisor we went there with an open mind and was expecting what we should for a 3 star hotel. I've worked in hospitality for many years, including hotels in different star ratings so some might think this review is a little harsh, but I'm only being honest about our experience. I'm sorry to say but I do have more bad points than good. Handy tips are at the bottom.
* convenient location next to shopping mall and across from Waterbom Park
* cheap food & drinks including alcohol, cheap spa treatments
* nice gardens, nice lobby, pools are nice
* our deluxe room surprisingly had an actual king size bed (not two singles pushed together)
* the Kori Bar has a worker Wyoman (I think that's correct) who works there midday to midnight. He is a very nice and friendly man (we just wish all the staff were like him).
* pancakes made to order at breakfast were delicious
* Airport transfers included in our room rate, only we were not informed of this until we wanted to know how much it would cost for our return transfer back to the airport
* We received very bad service on the front desk when we first arrived. They were well aware of our arrival time long before we left Australia. We arrived at 7.30am and the man straight away told us "you are too early". Obviously we were aware of this but had to leave our bags at the hotel so we could go and kill time before checking in. We were told our room may be available around 1pm. Eventually we were given the key at 2.40pm. Knowing that we had arrived at 7.30am, it would have been nice if the staff arranged for our room to be one of the first to be cleaned so that we could move into it a little earlier. When we did eventually check in, we weren't provided any info at all about the resort except to say that "your breakfast vouchers are in the envelope"
* Room was ok, but the bathrooms have not been renovated at all and ours was quite mouldy on the walls and ceiling. Only 2 shampoo bottles provided, one was already half empty. This didn't bother us though as we'd taken our own shampoo & conditioner. We did have to go to the shopping centre to buy shower gel though as only a typical hotel soap was provided which didn't lather at all. Water pressure not good, and temperature was inconsistent .
* Pillows very hard and lumpy. I woke up the first two mornings with a migraine. I requested two more pillows from housekeeping and they kindly provided them. They weren't the best either, but much better than the other ones. I believe if they can afford king size beds then they should be able to afford new pillows.
* Houskeeping times not consistent - was 9.30am one day and 4.30pm another day. Only bothered us these two days, every other day we were out and about.
* We had a ground floor room but still had to go down flights of stairs to get to it. Our balcony door automatically locked from the outside, so we found we had to walk all the way around back through the lobby and downstairs to get back into our room. After a few days I was very frustrated of having to do this, so I asked at reception if the balcony doors have keys. Yes they do. We weren't provided this key when checking in, nor were we advised there was even such a key.
* Adults Only pool is lovely however it is located right next to the family pool. So do expect to hear the kids screaming and splashing just over the garden. There seems to be waiter service around the Adults Only pool sun lounges, but you will NOT get it if you are in the bungalows. For some reason they dont even look in your direction if you are seated there which is very bad service. We had to keep getting up and walking to the family pool bar to order our drinks and food, even after I informed one of the workers at the pool. Either they didn't care or didn't understand english very well. Also do expect the occasional child in the Adults Only pool. There doesn't seem to be any workers around the pool to advise the adult when this does happen though.
* The pool bar is great, but as its a family pool we always seemed to have kids running through inbetween seats splashing and screaming. They seem to take a shortcut through there to get to the shallow kids' pool, instead of walking around. It would be nice if kids weren't allowed in the pool bar area, or even if parents were a bit more considerate.
* Breakfast was average. It closes at 10am, but would be more convenient if it was 10.30am in case you wanted to have a lay in (you are on holidays after all). Juice is not juice, it tastes just like cordial. Found the instant coffee sachets in the teabag boxes (??), which tasted much nicer than the perculated coffee. We seen tables being set up for other guests but found we always had to set up our own and even clear it ourselves so we could sit there to begin with. Dont expect any service towards the end of breakfast time because you wont get it.
* We had arranged an airport transfer to the hotel before we left Australia. When organising our return transfer to leave Bali we asked how much it would cost so that we could see if it would be cheaper to catch a taxi. The hotel informed us that because we were staying longer than 6 nights we receive complimentary transfers, yet we had never been told this.
* Location is not next to Matahari Kuta Square as advised on their website
* When booking tours at the tour desk at the hotel, they only accept cash payment. You are not allowed to put this charge onto your room nor can you use credit card. There is no sign saying this so you wouldn't know otherwise, but I did suggest to them displaying a 'cash only' sign would be helpful.
* Take your own bathroom amenities (or buy when you get there). Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, loofah etc.
* Ask about airport transfers if staying 6 nights or longer as they may not inform you of this.
* We found getting taxis were much cheaper than using drivers who negotiate the rate at the hotel.
* Best place we found to exchange money was at Fuji shop opposite the Matahari shopping centre. No commission and highest rate
* If you are in Bali for pubs and clubs then they are a bit of a walk from here
* Be careful of taxi drivers taking you on a joyride to your destination. We caught a cab at night time from Seminyak wanting to go to Legian beach, but us not paying attention we ended up in Kuta. Not sure if this was miscommunication or if he thought he could get away with taking us the long way around
Overall the service wasn't very good for us at this hotel/resort. The general feel was that the staff just didn't care. No name badges are worn so we had no idea who it was that we were communicating with, so the experience wasn't very personal. Next time we will be staying somewhere else.
No sea view rooms, blocked out by trees
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.