“Great Mexican” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #65 of 465 Restaurants in Kuta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Colac, Australia
“Great Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Went to TJs for tea ,service was quick and friendly
Food was great ,husband loved the BBQ plate
Nearly licked the plate clean
Always a must when in bali

Visited August 2013

• Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
“The Pits”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Without any doubt the worst restaurant I have ever eaten in - world-wide. Décor was wacky but staff were miserable. No smiles and plates just plonked on the table as if it was all too much trouble. The food quality was dire. I ordered the chicken fajitas. It was the most odd looking chicken I have ever seen or tasted. Basically it was an overcooked stew of some sort which meant as soon as you tried to put it in a tortilla the whole thing just fell apart. The accompanying sauces were basically flavoured water, so runny and no flavour. My wife couldn't even stomach more than a couple of mouthfuls of her dish.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
tjsbali, Owner at TJ's Mexican Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
We were extremely upset when we read your critique of our restaurant. In the 29 years that we have been open we have never received such a negative response. Unfortunately the management was not informed of the problems experienced and therefore were powerless to do anything to correct the situation.
It would in future be useful to the business to be informed at the time rather than being attacked when unaware of the details. We can only surmise that something went terribly wrong in our kitchen wish to apologize for the bad experience.
Los Angeles, California
“Passable "Mexican" food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I suppose I am a bit overly critical, being from Los Angeles, where just about every intersection has a great little mom and pop Mexican restaurant, but I am compelled to compare what they call "Mexican" at TJ's, Kuta.

The atmosphere is lovely with plenty of seating, a bubbling pond in the center, and some very comfy bed like eating cushions, along with the standard table and chair offerings. It is decorated in what I would call an Indo/Mex style...typical Balinese roof line, Mexican colors and some decor. The bar looks very friendly and probably gets rowdy at night.

Now the food. We arrived at about 4 pm when the place was almost empty but for a few snackers. We ordered the TJ's nachos. I recommend taking your name off this signature dish of a few corn chips with cheese and some kind of sauce made to resemble salsa. The portion was of child size and almost tasteless.

We also had the enchilada plate, consisting of two enchiladas, Indonesian rice seved over refried beans. The shredded beef and shredded chicken found in the enchiladas was very good, having been slow cooked and marinated in a tasty sauce. Over all this was a good plate but not anywhere near Mexican as I know it. It was devoid of any sauce, making the enchiladas dry. A side order of salsa helped but still did not have the kick Mexican food delivers.

Service was spotty at best, having to hail waiters and waitresses for any needs. It is funny how the emptier the restaurant the less you see of your servers. At times we actually wondered if they had gone home for a siesta, but no, this is not Mexico.

We found the prices to be a bit on the high side. Enchilada plate that was not very filling costs about $8, high by Bali standards. The nachos came in at about $4 and are too small to be much of an appetizer.

So, this being touted as the "best" Mexican food on Bali makes me now believe there is NO Mexican food on Bali, or anything even close. I can't wait to go to my favorite cantina for some fajitas!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice and inviting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Met friends here for lunch. In a busy area but nice and quiet inside. Staff friendly and helpful. Nice cool drinks and the meal was just as good as we had been told. Good location .

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Just too good. Can not flaw”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been here at least once each time I go to Bali and I try and squeeze in a trip every 6 months. The food is a little more expensive compared to a few restaurants in the area, however still cheap as anythiung compared to western prices.
Everything from the salad to the nachos to the dip to the enchiladas to the burritos is amazing. The service is great and the food comes nice and quick. The tequila selection is also quite impressive if that's what you're into.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere